Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weasyl
    QTMelon

I'd like to see my stats in private

I like the ability to not display my stats, but I feel it would be nice to have an option to see those stats in private.
    I'd also like to see what category/folder I submit to often. Or most used tags.

Weasyl
    Zeta-Neubourn
    That sound pretty good! :U I agree with this.

Weasyl
    xarg
    This sounds like a great premium feature. Yay, let's hide information behind a paywall~!

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by xarg View Post
    This sounds like a great premium feature. Yay, let's hide information behind a paywall~!
    Please explain the reasoning behind that post?

Weasyl
    xarg
    The reasoning? The post says what it means. Features like this make great premium features, as has been proven by a plethora of other sites. The average user doesn't need extended statistics, but the ones that do probably wouldn't mind forking over some chips to access them.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Can we drop the cynicism for a change and have an actual discussion? I don't appreciate your remarks on this post if you have nothing constructive to contribute. You just invite hostility when it isn't warranted.

Weasyl
    xarg
    Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    Can we drop the cynicism for a change and have an actual discussion? I don't appreciate your remarks on this post if you have nothing constructive to contribute. You just invite hostility when it isn't warranted.
    You have my most sincere apologies. My intentions were not to appear cynical or hostile, merely to reflect on what most other sites that offer premium memberships do with such data.

Though have you considered the statistics might be useful to people considering following you too. For example to find out whether or not they should follow your journals, judging by the number of journals you have posted in the past in relation to the number of submissions you have. Pageview, following and faves given counts I don't see as being so useful to others, so those could just as well be private.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    If someone posts more journals than art or people have uninteresting journals. The best option isn't to use statistics to measure them, but allow users to content filter what they would like to follow, which would be to not follow journals.

Just the fact that someone posts more journals for art may be a factor for an outside user but shouldn't be the solo factor. If that person posts more art related journals and tutorials I may find that useful even if the amount of art posting isn't as much. So a mere number isn't really a factor for an outside audience. If a person watches me, terrific, if they don't then being judged by a numerical system is rather shallow.

However, it's not really not the discussion here. We already have the ability to display stats or not. I just want the ability to see the stats I chose not to show on the front page. I am asking for additional, optional options given that the current system may not be able to tally up those stats.

It is just odd also that we have this handy number system we can show or not. But it's still not "private" in all. You can still see who is following another and if I feel it's my business to show who I want to follow, I should have the option of keeping that information private.

Weasyl
    xarg
    Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    Just the fact that someone posts more journals for art may be a factor for an outside user but shouldn't be the solo factor. ...snip... So a mere number isn't really a factor for an outside audience.
    I never suggested it should be the only factor in making the decision. To suggest that would be kind of shallow and fatalistic, no? It can however be a definite clue. If a user posts nice art, but has posted 200k journals in the last year, the 10 last of which are one liners about how their pet squirrel did a "funny" pose, then that number can definitely be a guide to a certain conclusion.

I did not know that you already can hide the statistics, however, which caught me off-guard. I realized the option is under site preferences, instead of profile information where I'd have expected to find it.

While were at it though, it might be worth something to add to the statistics the count of: Characters, collected art, own art in other user's collections. And well, why not add the number of daily unique/new visitors to the gallery as well.
    Last edited by xarg; 02-09-2014 at 03:07 PM.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #10
    Xarg,

Could I please ask that you tone down the assumptions about what the site will or won't do, or what Weasyl ought do, in general, in 'Site Discussion' threads? Constructive, specific suggestions are welcome. Jumping five steps ahead and making conclusions about what 'one person's suggestion will inevitably lead to' are not constructive, nor are broad, sweeping generalizations that do not add to discussion.

Please do not consider this an invitation to reply to what I've written above, in this thread.

Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

QTMelon,

I think I see what you're driving at here...of course as you know, we have the ability to hide statistics in an all-or-nothing way; everyone or noone sees them. What about if say, you were allowed to see your statistics always (just on your own userpage), even if 'noone else is'?