Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Bliss.in.Oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by wwretched View Post
    For fire, that doesn't look half bad. It's mostly the colors that cue me in, but also the shape a bit. Looking up pictures of fires can help a lot. There's usually thick angles of flames rather of thin strings. Also try using a harder brush--it seems counterintuitive but with blending you can achieve soft edges. A lot of beginning artists figure that softer=more realistic, but that's not always the case.

I suggest you look up basic digital painting tutorials, this one seems pretty handy! Ctrl + Paint has a lot of resources as well, take a look at their stuff and brush up (laugh) on the basics before you start on anything huge. Digital painting can be intimidating, but if you take it slow you should have no problem mastering it.
    Yeah, the shapes and soft v sharp were the things that were tripping me up; all the pictures I looked at had really sharp edges but faded within themselves and I got really confused. Part of the problem is I couldn't quite find anything in this sort of shape so I was a little bit at a loss because I don't want it to look entirely like a fireball but I want it to still have motion ;c

Mmkay! Thanks for the help! <:

Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    Well I thought I'd do a video because I don't think you're noticing some of the problems I may have written out before.

I apologize about the audio dropping out a bit at certain points, you can ask me to elaborate. But I feel the need to repeat this...

Please stop with the hairy lines!!!
    [vid]
    I don't remember the hairy line thing being mentioned by you...? ; o ; aaaaaaaa but yeah I do have that terrible habit...
    I didn't pick up on the rest of those things until you pointed them out... Thanks a ton! ; o ;

Weasyl
    Bliss.in.Oblivion
    Last edited by BlissfulOblivion; 02-09-2014 at 05:44 PM.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    I don't think it matters if the final work uses inking or solid lines. If you want a good drawing, have a good beginning. Hairy lines are not confident lines. The debate of the final result is irrelevant to be honest. The progress of what you're showing now shows lack of confidence in your work. That is a problem because if your start is very bad, it's going to be harder to have a good finish.

This is different than doing a lot of studies and exploration.

But having confidence in your strokes reduces the amount of rework. The same idea matters when painting. You're just doing it in mass vs line.
    Last edited by QT Melon; 02-09-2014 at 05:50 PM.

I don't think it matters if the final work uses inking or solid lines. If you want a good drawing, have a good beginning. Hairy lines are not confident lines. The debate of the final result is irrelevant to be honest. The progress of what you're showing now shows lack of confidence in your work. That is a problem because if your start is very bad, it's going to be harder to have a good finish.

But having confidence in your strokes reduces the amount of rework. The same idea matters when painting. You're just doing it in mass vs line.
    yes I agree that's true, though usually when I am painting and the lines don't show I don't correct them so I never thought about mentioning it. I guess because its not a problem I have that I just dont think about mentioning it?

hmm Bliss I dont know what A:tlA is.
    Perhaps looking up flamethrowers would help? or even camp fires.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammacha View Post
    yes I agree that's true, though usually when I am painting and the lines don't show I don't correct them so I never thought about mentioning it. I guess because its not a problem I have that I just dont think about mentioning it?

hmm Bliss I dont know what A:tlA is.
    Perhaps looking up flamethrowers would help? or even camp fires.
    A:tlA is Avatar the Last Airbender

I think something that is not clicking or being understood is that everything starts with gesture. Hairy lines are not good gesture. It doesn't matter if you paint over something. Gesture is the start of every drawing.

Weasyl
    Bliss.in.Oblivion

Nono, I know. I was just checking. That's something I'll work on. ; o ;

I think something that is not clicking or being understood is that everything starts with gesture. Hairy lines are not good gesture. It doesn't matter if you paint over something. Gesture is the start of every drawing.
    I started in the very beginning with gesture?? so it just gets lost with the terrible hairy line stuff?? ;c

--edit--
    OKay so the type of fire I was trying to do just doesn't exist at alllllllllllll sooooooooooooooo uhm. I think I know how to fix it. I think it just has to have a slightly smaller base, but then if I just taper the body of it more and more quickly, I can make it look good/how I want it to. We'll see. That and fix the anatomy can be my project for the evening. This is fun <: I love drawing fire.

--i make lots of edits--
    Juuust kidding it's actually pretty good, I just need to define the shape of the body a little more because it's a liiiiiiiiittle bit shapeless. I think I know how to do that. Then it should look pretty nice.
    Also, can someone tell me which version of the head is best? ; o ; I simply cannot tell any more...
    Last edited by BlissfulOblivion; 02-09-2014 at 10:01 PM.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    I'm confused. You went to a hairy line from gesture? why?

Gesture isn't stick figures it's basic main forms...

Weasyl
    Bliss.in.Oblivion
    I'm confused. You went to a hairy line from gesture? why?

Gesture isn't stick figures it's basic main forms...
    Because I'm not good at this and am inexperienced? And habit? I'm really really new to this sort of stuff. I started doing gesture and things like this last month and still have absolutely no idea what I'm doing or where I'm going. And I've always done hairy line, so I wasn't really thinking about not doing it until now. It was never really pointed out to me before.
    And I know what gesture is. :I Again, I'm just not very good at this and didn't really think. Also, I wasn't doing chickenscratch stuff, I just ended up going over the same lines a hundred times so that it ended up looking like that. Plus I tried to erase stray lines to clean it up which did not work or help, evidently.

A:tlA is Avatar the Last Airbender

o, never seen it called that, but I know the show, love it!
    Last edited by Sammacha; 02-10-2014 at 04:23 AM.