Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Raspberry Pi

Just a bit curious but do any of you guys have one? And if you do, what have you bought for it, and done with it? If you've done anything fancy with it then pictures would be pretty neat too!

I'm looking at making a purchase at some point but I've yet to come up with a good reason to justify the purchase.

I have one and I wanted to do some basic Computer Vision stuff with it but didn't have a monitor I could use with it for a long time.

I have one now so I should get to gettin' :3

Quote Originally Posted by Socks the Fox View Post
    I have one and I wanted to do some basic Computer Vision stuff with it but didn't have a monitor I could use with it for a long time.

I have one now so I should get to gettin' :3
    Did you buy a case or anything or do you just use the barebones Pi?

Weasyl
    Shad-Wolf
    I've thought about getting Raspberry Pi, but I will need a TV so I can output it so I can see what I'm doing. Might be a while yet til I get a TV again :x

I've thought about turning into a mini server, but I dunno if that would hold up too well seeing how small it is, its probably not that powerful enough, but then I thought about turning it into a BitCoin Miner, something as small as that I could leave it running 24/7, I could probably stack 4 of them together and attach a GPU device.

I saw this one setup this guy did one time, he took 24 of them and chained them together to make his own little BitCoin Miner. Had a USB Hub which has 24 USB Type-B connectors on it, powered through an AC connector. A cheap but effective miner without having to spend too much. :3

Weasyl
    DrDingo
    Ah, this thread just reminded me that I need to get around to using mine!
    I've booted it up and got to the Linux desktop, but I haven't gone any further with it. Hell, I'm not even sure what I can/want to try doing with it yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightpaws View Post
    Did you buy a case or anything or do you just use the barebones Pi?
    Right now I've been using the box as a case of sorts. Just poke some holes in it and stick the cords in. It's not pretty but it avoids potential shorts.

Sounds like not many of you have managed to get much out of them yet!

The Daisy Chained mining thing sounds pretty interesting but with people networking entire server farms, the chances of seeing a return on them is probably zilch these days. It could probably be used as a lightweight server for your home network if you fancied, though heat might be an issue for it if it's on 24/7.

I don't have one so I can't comment on that though. Would you guys say they're worth the investment for playing around with?

If you can think of a good use for it, it's definitely worth it. I mean, $35 bucks for a computer? Why NOT get one?

Toss a fat USB hard drive on it and turn it into a file server, or tape it to the back of a screen and use it for web browsing. There's plenty more people have done, including robots, weather balloons, UAV stuff, etc.

I wanted to turn mine into an airsoft Portal turret :3

Quote Originally Posted by Socks the Fox View Post
    I wanted to turn mine into an airsoft Portal turret :3
    A who now what what?!

Apart from sounding weird that'd be pretty cool (And simultaneously lethal)! It could live in your bedroom like they're supposed to!

Would be good to see something, not necessarily that, done with Pi's :3

Well in theory with computer vision one could do not only position tracking to aim, but also friend/foe identification. And playing sound clips, and if you add in the right bits the ability to tell when it's been picked up or knocked over.

I'd imagine the kind of airsoft guns you could fit on one wouldn't be all that powerful though.