Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Sam's Randump of work.

Well just wait till you come back to it after a little break.

It'll be all like.

Holy smokes I made this? This is amazing!

It's always fun coming back to something after taking a break from it.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

Well I hope that I feel that way and that I get some fresh ideas!

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    I think it kinds of depends on what you -really- want to focus.

Atm, without the character painted in, the background takes away all the focus, and this will make it harder to try and make the character stands out unless you start blurring the heck out of the background later.

And well, just personal preference. Since the hallway is to the left, shouldn't the character face left as well so the sense of direction doesn't clash? You can also add a random anthro sitting around as well since you did add that seat in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitzbach View Post
    I think it kinds of depends on what you -really- want to focus.

Atm, without the character painted in, the background takes away all the focus, and this will make it harder to try and make the character stands out unless you start blurring the heck out of the background later.

And well, just personal preference. Since the hallway is to the left, shouldn't the character face left as well so the sense of direction doesn't clash? You can also add a random anthro sitting around as well since you did add that seat in there.

Well yes, it does depend, and I do plan on blurring some of the detail in the back but I usually wait until the end to do that. I might actually enlarge the BG to make the character bigger.

Then again I woke up this morning and was thinking of scrapping it to start again, well I'm gonna leave it another day and think about it.

Not sure about flipping the character, I think the guy wanted his character going into the building.
    As for antrho's in the back, not sure, but I was thinking of bringing back the cat I had in the sketch now. Thanks for the ideas Zeitz, some great food for thought

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    You probably rushed it a little too fast with the texture pack, causing you to lose sight and unsure of what exactly you want to do.

Try and go slower this time. I'm sure you will come up with a great piece like you always do.

Last edited by Sammacha; 03-03-2014 at 03:12 PM.

Honestly if making sure the focus is on the main character, I'd probably start by making the character larger/closer to the viewer. (assuming you don't have to make it a full body shot).

Or, I'd start over completely. (that's my intuition though based on the dialogue you and Zeit have been having, I don't know what you'd do, but I do think it's a good idea to give it a day or two rest first).

I still think that you should be proud of what you've drawn so far, even if you do end up having to rework the whole thing.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

Quote Originally Posted by lorenith View Post
    Honestly if making sure the focus is on the main character, I'd probably start by making the character larger/closer to the viewer. (assuming you don't have to make it a full body shot).

Or, I'd start over completely. (that's my intuition though based on the dialogue you and Zeit have been having, I don't know what you'd do, but I do think it's a good idea to give it a day or two rest first).

I still think that you should be proud of what you've drawn so far, even if you do end up having to rework the whole thing.

Yeah originally it was not supposed to be a full body shot, but the guy I was drawing for changed his mind since he really liked the design that I came up with for the clothing.

So... I feel sort of stuck, and yes starting again might be the option I choose.
    I might try the original layout i had in mind which was bust or a knee up shot of the character looking at a compass or a map etc and see if he likes it better. I personally think it would look better.
    We shall see...

And thank you, its not a total lose, but I might try colouring in the character and see if it brings it to life a bit more
    Last edited by Sammacha; 03-03-2014 at 09:33 PM.

Last edited by Sammacha; 03-04-2014 at 03:30 AM.

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    Yeah it's alot better now. The focus is back on the character.

Now abit on the texture pack from what I've been observing my friends who love to paint background. Usually, he would crop this and that and of course, paint all over them roughly. The picture will be somewhat blurry while retaining part of the texture provided by the texture pack.

His process

Black & white sketch + shading -> White/Black version of texture pack on top -> Rough Color layer paint over -> Another color layer over it for emphasize -> Dodge and Burn if needed.