Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Sam's Randump of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Moogle View Post
    THAT TURNED OUT SO WELL! Diggin' the landscape & gorgeous dragon~ Do you prefer doing the initial sketch on paper than digitally? I haven't worked much with paper -> digital, so I'm not sure if a lot gets lost with just doing everything on the computer.

Well I do feel like I enjoy using real paper and pencil more, but maybe Im just used to it.
    The main thing I do notice is that when drawing on paper i really need to know and be aware of the space, since digital lets you shrink, stretch and move things around. If something is too big, re draw it, and vise versa, so in that aspect I get more practice. If the hand was too big, I re-draw the hand, it might be a pain but great! now Im better t drawing hands. on the computer i would lasso it and change the size...
    Digital art, I feel its more of a time saver and a space saver. It also give me the opportunity to explore new styles and different effects which I can later apply to paper (well not always).
    Also, when drawing on paper I try to... idk... I guess feel more of my work, I can draw a few details and be happy but on the computer I sometimes zoom in and obsess on useless things. But also my tablet is a bit small so I enjoy having the larger space of the paper.
    Honestly I like both, but I do for sure feel like real paper is easier on the eyes and the body, just the way that I actually set up my desk to draw. I do love the tablet and doing digital art but I do prefer to sketch on paper first, and paper is always out on my desk, computer not always on.

Even when i practice sketching on the computer i try not to use the effects and helping tool, god I dont even use the pen tool lol. I hate when computer does things for me. Sometimes I feel like digital art is a rip, it CAN and does make some crapy artists look good. They know how to use the computer but give them a pencil and pen, and they fail. OFC this is not everyone. so easy to add something you forgot... the change the colors.
    i even make it a habit NOT to undo ...
    Its a challenge sometimes, to use 1 layer and no undo~

So I guess it is a personal preference, I feel like paper is a more enjoyable exp for me. The main times I draw and sketch on the computer is if I know I am
    1. going to waste a lot of paper
    2. need to test colors or techniques
    3. need to show someone the sketch stages whole way through the image (I am too lazy to scan things constantly, which is why so many sketches never get posted D: )
    4. need to draw several complicated things and put them into one picture (I do not have a light table)
    I think the only thing you might lose are some compositional development because its sooo easy to move things around.

They are both art, they are just different medias, different skills, and different ways of learning. It's a preference, and its what you enjoy.
    but thats my opinion

PS: While I do go traditional to digital... the pic of Xylo did not go from traditional to digital, that line art is inked, lol did I trick you? :3
    (the final image is ink with pencil )
    Last edited by Sammacha; 02-19-2014 at 01:48 AM.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Omg, ya doing stuff digitally totally makes things easier for me! I use undo/redo and lasso like no tomorrow and constantly have layers going. However I feel like I take way too much advantage of that and my traditional work is lacking because of it. Though I'm also a stickler for saving paper (hardly got any in the house ) which is why I tend to draw on here about 99% of the time now (my laptops literally on 24/7 too XD). Looking at your works & just seeing how much more personal traditional looks and feels is making me rethink using the tablet all the time; damn convenience is so addicting!

But holy, you're really disciplined if you can make yourself not use all the shortcuts and such. Kudos to that!

Quote Originally Posted by Sammacha View Post
    PS: While I do go traditional to digital... the pic of Xylo did not go from traditional to digital, that line art is inked, lol did I trick you? :3
    (the final image is ink with pencil )
    YOU'VE GOT TO BE SHITTIN' ME!? LOL I thought that was done digitally! My god your inking is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Moogle View Post
    But holy, you're really disciplined if you can make yourself not use all the shortcuts and such. Kudos to that

YOU'VE GOT TO BE SHITTIN' ME!? LOL I thought that was done digitally! My god your inking is amazing.

lol yeah, I always felt like I was cheating somehow, even if everyone else does it, I try not to unless its a rush or something.

He he, yes, real ink... REAL!!! I think the main trickery is the nice white paper I use
    Just a different medium, nothing more ~
    If your interested I have a video of me inking my chinese war horse. To begin every line is basically one solid stroke.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_e3pWIdBdc

I cant get my video to embed
    Last edited by Sammacha; 02-20-2014 at 10:17 PM.

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    OOO dat wet highlight 8D Me likey.

Weasyl
    Bliss.in.Oblivion
    God, your linework is glorious :U

Quote Originally Posted by BlissfulOblivion View Post
    God, your linework is glorious :U
    Why thank you bliss
    I was always told my line work was one of my strengths but Ive never been sure if that was true. I really do love these kind of sketches though, i try to put a lot into my line work for that reason.