Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New to Digital painting, need lots of help

Digital is just another tool, but the principles of the illustration are still founded in the same basics as traditional work. However, having said that, programs such as Photoshop do not handle color and blending like actual paint does.

References and studies are whats needed to achieve a 'finished' look. A large chunk of my illustration process goes into doing studies and collecting references about the subject matter.
    You need to go back to the basics, eg: compare your clouds to actual clouds, observe, take note of what the differences are. Remember things like clouds are objects as well, comprised of light and shadow.

Shadows and light are made up of more than just using black and white or darker and lighter versions of the mid tone to create highlights. In traditional media, colors such as ivory black are actually comprised of -very- dark blues and titanium white a very cool blue. You can add dabs of those into traditional media thanks to transparency and blending, something some raster programs are trying to replicate, unfortunately photoshop is not one of them.

I would suggest going back and doing studies of lighting, objects in lighting and surfaces. You can still paint things for fun, but studies are the key to understanding new media as well as the basics of form, light and shadow.

Also, practice with using a limited set of colors and explore their value range. Its all too tempting with digital to just sample colors without sticking to a palette, which can create an unbalanced effect when it comes to your values.

If you'd like me to elaborate on any of this, just let me know!
    Last edited by Tiamat; 02-06-2014 at 12:47 AM.

I feel like I can at least share my exp with you perhaps it will help. As Tiamat said... Its all true, its just a new tool that wont make anything instantly beetter, but more like... A new tool that you need to start at the beginning with.

Anyways,its my opinion that replicating such techniques in photoshop would not be easy, for that effect i might try corel, however it can be done with some knowledge of the program and quite a bit of practice. I think its quite different for me... I dont take advantage of all the cool effects that it has to offer, like, i draw my own line art rather then using the tools made for it lol, i enjoy doing it.
    So when i was learning i found it much more appealing to use a much more transparent brush, i think its easier to handle when you are used to blending paints. Like, lay down the base color and build on that. Also dont forget to take advantages of the layers! Digital is forgiving lol, however it would be great to learn by using 1 layer and no undo, i set this as a challenge for myself quite often. Like painting that method makes you think before you act as paint has no undo, only oppsies.

So find a brush /brushes you are comfortable with then...

Ifi was going to duplicate the fox lets say, well i would draw in the line art with a grey semi transparent color. Then i would make a layer under that and paint the white and blue. On top of the color layer i would start with a transparent brush and color in the shadows very slowly, then another layer to create the lighting and the highlights.

Also while you are doing this dont forget you can still blend your colours!!

After that was done i would add in the earrings and the markings, the the black on the legs.

I think the largest thing you need to adjust to is how the colors flow, unlike water-colours, they dont run into each other or create that ripply effect without some knowledge of how to make certain programs achieve this look.

I can also suggest the rendering too to soften some of the edges.

Well thats just an example of how i might go about doing it, I'm sure there are lots of ways and ofc better ways. Tiamat probably has some great input that I could also benefit from, so I'll be taking advantage of this thread lol.

To me every type of media used to create art is a whole new animal, related but not the same at all.

Quote Originally Posted by xyloart View Post
    Let's say I wanted to digitally recreate them on the computer. Where would one start? Because that's where I am. How do I best transfer my current skill level to digital for optimal results. I'm obviously never going to stop trying to improve my general skill levels of understanding light and life replication, but I'd like to try to do some of that on the computer and currently I don't know how best to do that.
    Unfortunately there is no short cut to this other than getting to know your medium with practice. Thats why basic exercises are a good way to start. It allows you to get to grips with the fundamentals of the form, before you begin trying to adapt them to your personal style. As mentioned, there are programs out there that attempt to replicate traditional media, but these effects can be replicated on any digital program, but branch out and try Corel and Artrage as well. You will find they handle quite differently to photoshop.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Digital painting is the same as drawing or painting (at least foundation wise).

So if you do not have good anatomy, understanding of form and color theory (well your foundations) it's just going to show up in digital.

One of the biggest problems is that you're not deciding whether or not it's really an illustration or design.

By that I mean, you're painting moon and water in a symbolic fashion than actually referencing how moon and water actually act. Lots of small lines than painting what it should like. If it should be symbolic instead of painterly then you have to design what is important, to least important to draw our eyes into the picture.

Perhaps something like this will help you out
    http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/D.../IntroLessons/