Looking for some feedback on my work~

I can't post URL's since I'm a new user, but if it's not to much trouble to take a look through my gallery and give me some feedback about my work I'd really appreciate it! I'll post some URL's and actual pictures after my accounts been moved to 'Registered user' which I think will be after I post this.

EDIT: Yay I can post links now!
    Most of my stuff is NSFW so please keep that in mind!
    https://www.weasyl.com/submission/43...ice-flat-color
    https://www.weasyl.com/submission/28...le-soft-shaded **SFW**

I guess I'm wondering if I'm just not as good as I think I am...
    Last edited by Ranft; 02-05-2014 at 08:11 PM.

The big thing I have to point out in the SFW picture is that there is more or less a complete absence of shadows. There's a bit for the wall in the lower left, but that's it. It takes away a lot of potential depth from your piece, keeping it flat. You recognize your light source, clearly, but you're not following through with it if that makes any sense. The moonlight is reflecting off her at certain parts, but where you expect to see shadows cast from her? There's nothing! :P This is one of the first things I always look for in critiques, since it seems to get overlooked a lot.

Ohh yeah I can totally see that. Lighting and shading are my weakest point so I'm trying to work on them a lot more. I'll add that to my 'keep in mind when arting!' sticky :3 Since I can only keep so much in mind I tend to peek at that note every time.

Thank you so much for your input!

Nice clean work, Rory gave good advice. If you are wanting to push your pieces to the next level, you will need to start taking into greater account the effects of light and shadow. With that, carry on doing studies of real anatomy, even for anthro work. Sorry if this is something thats been said to you before, but it always bears repeating that our 'fantastical' creations will have that much more credibility if we have good foundations in real musculature and poses. The same goes for atmospheric effects and environments.

One thing I've noticed with those two pieces is that both character have arms that just kind of vanish. Now I know that not all the character will be visible all the time, but be careful about using objects and parts of the body as a way to speed up a piece by eliminating parts of the character. Map the whole character out first in rough to make sure you know where the hidden limbs are going and what they are doing.

None of us are as good as we think we are. Asking for critique and doing studies is what keeps us sharp and on top of our game.

Thank you for your words of advice, I sometimes forget there will always be room for improvement. I appreciate you taking the time to look at my stuff. I'll continue to practice :3

Weasyl
    wwretched
    Good work! I think what you might want to watch for the one you shaded is the lighting. I turned it to greyscale and the only thing that really tells me that it's a night scene is the visual representation of the moon and the stars. Don't be afraid to push the contrast! I think it's easier to show people rather than tell, so I hope you don't mind that I've went and edited it to show more contrast. http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/...Untitled-2.png

I suggest you do some lighting studies at different times, especially ones where there is difficult lighting. And also study up on texture, too. Aside from a bit on the neck, there really isn't much. I'm guilty of a lack of texture as well, but it's one of those things that can really add a lot to a piece.
    dont even test me i swear to god im going to eat everything in this fucking state

Quote Originally Posted by wwretched View Post
    Good work!
    I suggest you do some lighting studies at different times, especially ones where there is difficult lighting. And also study up on texture, too. Aside from a bit on the neck, there really isn't much. I'm guilty of a lack of texture as well, but it's one of those things that can really add a lot to a piece.
    Thank you for your suggestions :3 I agree, I think I get subconsciously scared that it won't look as good I guess. And I've never really stopped to do any lighting/texture studies so I think that is a great idea!

Weasyl
    wwretched
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranft View Post
    Thank you for your suggestions :3 I agree, I think I get subconsciously scared that it won't look as good I guess. And I've never really stopped to do any lighting/texture studies so I think that is a great idea!
    you're welcome! yeah, getting over fears of messing up is a big part of learning. once you get out there and get your hands messy and learn that it's not that frightening, you'll find the fun in trying new things. don't be afraid to fail! learn from your mistakes and move on! it's all a part of the learning process.
    cgtextures is a great site for texture resources, check there to find stuff!
    dont even test me i swear to god im going to eat everything in this fucking state