Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    You need to start liking to draw, to draw. So obviously you want to create what you want to draw. To draw as a professional it can become greater than that as you work for different companies.

The problem with Japan is that anime became one of their few sustaining industries after their economical issues. So they pandered to what fans want instead of the visions some may have held.

Being an animator in Japan wasn't exactly a sustainable model for many due to the fact when you started out the wages were really terrible. I believe it was something like 600 USD a month, it is very hard to live off of that little in Japan. So before the economic crash many people opted for other careers. When anime became a hot (and often overpaid for) commodity many companies who you wouldn't think would work on anime created studios so they'd have some income.

This created a glut of the market for overseas consumption. This may have further warped overseas perception of animation in Japan as well since it was specifically catered to demographics overseas.

Weasyl
    N/A
    For me, drawing a picture is a method of storytelling.

I want to draw because I want to tell stories with those drawings. I love clever bits of symbolism, esoteric interpretations, and deep meanings that can be brought out of stories, but first and foremost I want to tell a good story that's enjoyable, depicts events, and gets people thinking about something or feeling that they're reading something that they enjoy because they relate to it or identify with it.

But if I made a widely enjoyed piece of work and the SJWs ran away with it and put political statements they're determined to be offended by in it's mouth, I'm going to be severely disappointed.

Weasyl
    RicoShae
    I think its important to keep audience in mind too. One of my college teachers stands firmly behind the belief that a pieces of art is not art unless it has a meaning behind it.

If my grandma asks me to draw her a picture, I'll usually draw her a general dog or scenery or landscape. I won't go deep into symbolism and meaning. Especially for commissions, I'm going to give the commissioner what they want. I'm not going to add an inner meaning to the picture unless specified. Recently I've been drawing for a gallery, and I don't delve into too much symbolism, because I want to sell it and sell it quickly. I'll have some pieces that are personal or different, but for the most part its safe and I know it will sell. And as Miyazaki points out, simple "otaku" type things sells. Its harder to take risks when you want a pay off. Although certain animes like Summer Wars seem to be taking a bit more risks.

But if we are talking about personal art, draw what you want whether or not it has meaning or depth.

Weasyl
    Hewge
    I aspire to create the fairest wangs and otters in the land.

Weasyl
    RedLeFrench
    Everything I do and create is important to me, be it for the moment I do it to the long run, nothing goes to waste. And even though I've resigned myself to mostly do stuff to get them off my mind instead of trying to give others what I thought they'd want, turns out it's what I do now that does the trick, because it truly is something personal.

Art should always reflect what the artist is thinking and what message he wants to give others, otherwise people see through it and probably won't enjoy it. Well... That's my view on stuff anyway.
    This link might contain cookies. Spoilers : it does not, it's just a trap link towards something I write. Sorry...

I've taken the road of telling people to find their own meaning in my work, If there is meaning I'm not interested in sharing it cause I hate sharing in that way, the rest of the time I do illustration.

It's actually been quite fun the few times my art has been on display to engage people viewing my work and ask them what they think of it without telling them who I am. It's a good experience for both them and myself, so it's probably the way I'd always make art if I had been considered a good enough artist to accepted into the fine art program.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

Weasyl
    Hlavco
    I mostly just draw to pass the time and I'm okay with that. I'm a hobbyist, not an artist.

Quote Originally Posted by wwretched View Post
    In a sense, is it more important to create work that will be remembered or is it better to create work that caters to your own tastes?
    ... why not both?

Weasyl
    N/A
    I think people who took offense to what Miyazaki said, are taking it too personally.
    If anything he's giving sound advice, but with plenty of salt & vinegar.

It's okay to be a little selfish, if you can relate to what you make, then you know other people can.
    Art movements come and go, and they don't mean much nowadays. Although "Modernism" has become-
    just as repressive as the religious institutions, over art back in the day. Hopefully something better will come along, and sink that ship- or it crashes into a metaphorical iceberg...

Lastly, niche works can be a double-edged sword IMO-
    Last edited by MapleTerror; 04-16-2014 at 02:43 AM.