Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Weasyl
    spits
    I'd love to know when the "greater good of mankind" will stop being an excuse to use the world to SOLELY benefit humans. THAT'S my feelings on research.

/obligatory bitter comment

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #22
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtypaws View Post
    I'd love to know when the "greater good of mankind" will stop being an excuse to use the world to SOLELY benefit humans. THAT'S my feelings on research.

/obligatory bitter comment
    Far from all research is used in such a manner. I understand where you're coming from and there is some truth to it, but there are a lot of poorly paid, hardworking researchers across the world who are trying to stave off the burgeoning human imprint and are focusing on conservation efforts, among other things. It's a double edged sword to handle, a gigantic one.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    I always have trouble taking the "using the world for our own ends" logic seriously, but I suppose that is because I view it in a manner that understands this world will be destroyed one day by nature itself as the oceans burn away and all life remaining vanishes. That may be unfathomably far in the future, but nonetheless it is the inevitable end for Earth. Humanity does have a timeframe to leave its birthplace.

Weasyl
    spits
    Quote Originally Posted by Rilvor View Post
    I always have trouble taking the "using the world for our own ends" logic seriously, but I suppose that is because I view it in a manner that understands this world will be destroyed one day by nature itself as the oceans burn away and all life remaining vanishes. That may be unfathomably far in the future, but nonetheless it is the inevitable end for Earth. Humanity does have a timeframe to leave its birthplace.
    there's no need to rush the end.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtypaws View Post
    there's no need to rush the end.
    I agree, there really isn't.

You know, Bill Nye recently spoke on Climate Change and while that's not a part of this thread he said something poignant. To paraphrase, he spoke that there was no time like the present to start taking action to protect not only ourselves but the world around us as well.

6.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #26
    Weasyl
    MLR
    I guess I'm lucky in that my research (extragalactic astronomy) is entirely free from any and all ethics questions. Except for maybe the 'could this money be better spent elsewhere' one, but the amount of money my research costs is pretty much negligible compared even to other astronomy research. But it's really quite nice to be sitting there, knowing you're doing something that may never have any tangible impact on the state of mankind or animal-kind or planet Earth in general, except for maybe a wee bit of inspiration here and there because the stuff you're learning is just really cool.