Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    Why would you use your PC as a living room game console, the entire point of a PC is to have it as a multi-monitor display or one really big powerful one. Using your PC on the main TV just occupies the TV and pisses off other people in the house.
    I actually use a PC as a living room console. Here's a look at it even.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa37yA_mm_4

I use it exactly like a console, with Xbox 360 controllers employed for gaming. I love it so much in fact, that when GameStop was doing a +30% trade in bonus for Steam Credit, I traded in all my Xbox 360 disc games for $60 in Steam credit. But see, this thing is in my bedroom, and while we've brought it out to use on the 55" Plasma in the living room, it's not the most portable. Now I can use may laptop hooked up to the 55" and play all the lovely console style games I've picked up for Steam. Sonic & All Stars Transformed is a great PC game to pile four players onto the couch for.

You're one of an incredibly small market, because most people would just play console games on a console. But then again you're also one of those weirdos who, in lieu of using a PS2 controller for their PC, uses a 360 one instead.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

You're one of an incredibly small market, because most people would just play console games on a console. But then again you're also one of those weirdos who, in lieu of using a PS2 controller for their PC, uses a 360 one instead.
    The Xbox 360 controller and's few Xinput using derivatives (Logitech F710 and F310 come to mind) have become the defacto standard in PC gaming controllers, since the Xinput interface is built into DirectX as it is. And it allows for identical controller mapping to the console, out of the box. o.o

And the PS2 controller would be wired... Wires are lame. o.O

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyAshes View Post
    The Xbox 360 controller and's few Xinput using derivatives (Logitech F710 and F310 come to mind) have become the defacto standard in PC gaming controllers, since the Xinput interface is built into DirectX as it is. And it allows for identical controller mapping to the console, out of the box. o.o

And the PS2 controller would be wired... Wires are lame. o.O
    Wires are for people who don't want to tolerate charging/changing batteries or input lag. There's a reason almost all gaming laptops/mice are wired. Also the PS2 controller is widely touted as the greatest controller design since the SNES.

This is neither here nor there though. This technology changes nothing significant. PC gaming is still expensive for quality hardware, this technology is currently pointless, and Valve is chasing marketshare at their own peril. I hope Steambox fails horribly so that GabeN will go back to making video games like he's supposed to and stop trying to fuck shit up for PC gamers.

See I'm partial to sitting around playing 360 games with my friends, mostly because it doesn't require restricting yourself to Steam games that happen to be multiplayer and support controllers, but also because XBL Arcade has vastly more/better party games. If I'm playing PC games with people it's at a LAN party where you drag your gaming rig out like a tuner to a meet in a Target parking lot.

See I'm partial to sitting around playing 360 games with my friends, mostly because it doesn't require restricting yourself to Steam games that happen to be multiplayer and support controllers, but also because XBL Arcade has vastly more/better party games.
    I've actually found that a good portion of XBLA titles have found their way to Steam with quality support and integration of Steam's features like Steam Cloud. Though I do wish that Ms. Splosion Man would lose it's Games For Windows Live integration removed, this is happening soon though. Toy Soldiers: Cold War is still out there on my 'Steam to Get List' though. I have like $65 in my Steam account still, but I'm waiting on a sale. Though downright, Castle Crashers has to be my favorite to get everyone around the couch on. And it was only $3.74. ...And yet I waited 6 months from buying it till I tried it on a whim one night when we were hanging out in the living room one night.

Weasyl
    Runefox
    You forgot a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, fans, etc. Unless console casuals who wanna play on their Macbooks are supposed to magically have these laying around.
    The idea is that this is dedicated to streaming and you use the PC you already have. Because you have one. Because everyone has one.

Also no one in their right mind would be building a dedicated gaming PC tower out of a dual-core i3.
    What would you put in it at that price range? Considering the i3 outperforms every AMD on the market right up to the "8-core" flagships, I'd say it's a good fit. A single hyperthreading Haswell core is equivalent to two AMD modules in floating point performance (gaming!), which is "four" cores.

Oh boy, stream music, look out Spotify. And as you said, other games are not officially supported. Which means if you want to play EVE Online or WoW or World of Tanks or Starcraft II or Diablo III or Minecraft or any game that is either not on Steam or that you did not purchase through Steam, you're either subjected to sub-par performance or just outright fucked.
    Jesus fucking Christ, there's no pleasing you.

"It ONLY streams STEAM games, HARRUMPH"

>It streams non-Steam games and other stuff too.

"OH BIG WHOOP IT STREAMS OTHER STUFF"

>????

The streaming method is exactly "capture Direct3D output, forward input". Streaming non-Steam games is not officially supported because they can't verify that it'll work. It doesn't mean "hur hur Valve will make it so you get half the frames on world of tanks".

This is neither here nor there though. This technology changes nothing significant. PC gaming is still expensive for quality hardware, this technology is currently pointless, and Valve is chasing marketshare at their own peril. I hope Steambox fails horribly so that GabeN will go back to making video games like he's supposed to and stop trying to fuck shit up for PC gamers.
    Uhhhhh, considering the gaming PC I put together above will more than outdo current-gen consoles at or around 1080p, I'd say you're just bitching for the sake of bitching because LOL STEAM IS DRM HOLY FUCK GUYS DRM OH SHIT HOW DARE DEVELOPERS USE THE LEAST OBTRUSIVE DRM METHOD ON THE MARKET TODAY GIVE ME BACK MY STARFORCE, SECUROM, GAMES FOR WINDOWS LIVE, AND SONY ROOTKITS

Not that you actually care about what Gaben does to begin with, since without Steam you haven't legitimately played a Valve game on PC in nearly a decade.

See I'm partial to sitting around playing 360 games with my friends, mostly because it doesn't require restricting yourself to Steam games that happen to be multiplayer and support controllers, but also because XBL Arcade has vastly more/better party games.
    Why can't this be the case with a PC? What unearthly force is preventing this?

If I'm playing PC games with people it's at a LAN party where you drag your gaming rig out like a tuner to a meet in a Target parking lot.
    Which is kind of why this is a good thing? To get away from that kind of elitist bullshit?

Seriously, I don't get what you're so pissed off about with regard to putting PC's in the living room. It is literally no different than using a 360 or whatever, except OH SHIT IT'S STEAM. Nevermind that Microsoft's DRM is a fuckton more restrictive than Steam's ever will be.
    Last edited by Runefox; 02-09-2014 at 02:34 AM.

He seems bitter about PC gaming NOT being a snobby pursuit requiring high end hardware and technical skill. o.o

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyAshes View Post
    He seems bitter about PC gaming NOT being a snobby pursuit requiring high end hardware and technical skill. o.o
    How dare things be fun and new!?!