Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    I don't see a use for this. To use it you need a high-end machine anyway, so it's not like it saves you any money. Also it completely occupies that machine, so it's not like you can game in another room while the PC is being used for other things. Also gaming on a laptop is painful to say the least, so if you're going to be playing a game, and you have a high-end computer… why not just play on your PC?
    If you run it on a slim client or underpowered media center you can use your gaming PC as your living room games console! Tried it earlier and it worked great on my TV

Why would you use your PC as a living room game console, the entire point of a PC is to have it as a multi-monitor display or one really big powerful one. Using your PC on the main TV just occupies the TV and pisses off other people in the house.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Why would you use your PC as a living room game console, the entire point of a PC is to have it as a multi-monitor display or one really big powerful one. Using your PC on the main TV just occupies the TV and pisses off other people in the house.
    Not if you're the only person in the house, and 42 inch Burnout is worth every second

Weasyl
    Runefox
    I don't see a use for this. To use it you need a high-end machine anyway, so it's not like it saves you any money. Also it completely occupies that machine, so it's not like you can game in another room while the PC is being used for other things. Also gaming on a laptop is painful to say the least, so if you're going to be playing a game, and you have a high-end computer… why not just play on your PC?
    By that logic, why should anyone have a portable music player or personal stereo when they have a surround sound system in the living room. The idea is that it makes your Steam library more flexible.

I could start a game at my desk, get tired of sitting in a computer chair, and migrate to the living room on the couch and big TV to continue playing with a controller. I could play strategy games with my laptop, or I could hook up a real mouse to it and play whatever I want wherever I want. I could stuff my gaming PC in a closet and set up a nice quiet thin client in its place. In theory, if I brought my laptop to a place with a good connection, I could VPN back home and stream non-twitchy games without adversely affecting my battery or needing a cooling pad.

All a client computer needs as a client is the ability to decode h.264 in hardware. Doesn't even need Windows; SteamOS or Steam on Linux can handle it, and then it doesn't need anything special for storage either. A small 32GB or 64GB SSD (or hell, SD card) would do the job in a silent and energy efficient manner. You can literally throw together such a thing for under $200 (probably around $250 - $300 if you wanted it totally fanless and thus entirely silent).
    Last edited by Runefox; 02-08-2014 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Runefox View Post
    I could start a game at my desk, get tired of sitting in a computer chair, and migrate to the living room on the couch and big TV to continue playing with a controller.
    That's the part I keep forgetting it can do! I keep closing games for no reason when switching devices out of habit!

You still need the $1,000+ investment in the desktop, which is the primary barrier between the console tards and the PC gaming master race, then add in the satellite unit. All for the luxury of being able to play your STEAM games (and no others) on your laptop wherever you are in the house, or possibly over Wifi elsewhere depending on the connection speed at that Howard Johnson. I'm assuming a Hojo because PC gaming in public is one of those things you see on Big Bang Theory.

This is probably mostly aimed at people with a decent Steam Library already. Aka (as you aptly put it) The PC gaming master race. I have a 2k Desktop and a 2k laptop so it's ideal for me (despite me being a console gamer) The PS4 is excellent too and it's remote play functionality is hard to rival in terms of practicality. But I digress...

On a more practical note, nailing this tech would mean that it could be put to more practical uses for those with weaker machines, eventually into cloud hosted gaming which all devices still struggle to do well. It's for science! :3

I'm a PC gamer with a decent rig and a laptop and I still don't see a use for it. Then again I don't have many Steam games because unlike most PC gamers I don't worship Linux, I don't like Steam, I think DRM and a necessary connection to the internet to use software is outrageous, and I think Valve are too full of themselves as a development company. The only thing I liked about that Steambox crap was the controller and I can use that on my PC.

Weasyl
    Runefox
    You still need the $1,000+ investment in the desktop
    Try closer to ~$500 (+$100 w/Windows if you don't have a copy to transfer from an older PC (which if you do, you can then run Linux+Steam on the old machine as a streaming client)).

All for the luxury of being able to play your STEAM games (and no others)
    It's not officially supported, but Valve says it's possible to stream games added as shortcuts in Steam. Haven't tested it out yet. Steam Music is also coming which will allow you to stream music as well (with the ability to do so simultaneously with gameplay).

Last edited by TeenageAngst; 02-08-2014 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Case Closed.