Weasyl
    usafSHADOWusaf

Anyone Willing to Critique?

Um well I don't have a lot to say about the top one as it seems like you tried to make a movie poster. Im used to them being much more crowded you know?

for the other 2 well it seems to me like you go to very dark and detailed and very light and simple. Particularly in the second one I feel like the light and the dark don't really go together style wise. For examples the dark side is more sharp and detailed while the top is not well defined , I think I know what your trying to achieve but I would make the crystal more defined and maybe just ad more shine to show the edges, same with the alter.
    on the snake dude, I would maybe add a bit more detail even going back into the light. also it appears like its coming out of the light at the back but the body/head doesn't really say that to me.
    the mouth looks really cool though.
    So yeah, those are my initial thoughts ~

Weasyl
    usafSHADOWusaf
    Thank you for the feedback! ^^

The first is the cover for my novella that I'm in the process of, hence why it has a simpler design than your average movie poster (book covers can range from the basic to intricate) . As for the others, I was just confused about your comment on the third one, but it is probably me just misreading your statements. It was a texture study anyways, so I wasn't all to worried about the composition. However, I was also worried about making the image too flat if I added details to the very end of the tail, and that it would take away from the depth, hence why I was confused slightly (because I had that issue arise in a previous image). So, I guess I'm trying to figure out to what degree I should add details to the tail? Blurred hints of the scales, or full-on clarity of every scale?

Again, thank you for all the help!
    Last edited by usafSHADOWusaf; 02-03-2014 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by usafSHADOWusaf View Post
    Thank you for the feedback! ^^

The first is the cover for my novella that I'm in the process of, hence why it has a simpler design than your average movie poster (book covers can range from the basic to intricate) . As for the others, I was just confused about your comment on the third one, but it is probably me just misreading your statements. It was a texture study anyways, so I wasn't all to worried about the composition. However, I was also worried about making the image too flat if I added details to the very end of the tail, and that it would take away from the depth, hence why I was confused slightly (because I had that issue arise in a previous image). So, I guess I'm trying to figure out to what degree I should add details to the tail? Blurred hints of the scales, or full-on clarity of every scale?

Again, thank you for all the help!
    I wouldn't go full on into the drawing of every scale but maybe a bit more definition to it, I think since there is a harsh light there might need to be a bit more of a shadow. Also adding a little bit of dots in a bright , like white color would make it look more textured in my opinion

Lots of stark white and black shadows. Avoid using black for shadows, shadows are actually comprised of colors. Basically a warm light will create a cool shadow and vice a versa.

Black shadows, especially in digital work can deaden and flatten an entire image.

EDIT: Forgot to add, in the same respect, only use white as a light in extreme moderation and for certain surfaces. White is actually 'cool' on the spectrum, where as most light sources are 'warm' Overusage of stark white can have the same negative effect as using too much black.
    Last edited by Tiamat; 02-04-2014 at 05:00 AM.