Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Students Assemble!

Weasyl
    MLR
    Quote Originally Posted by Fay V View Post
    I'm about to take twelve credits of grad courses. I am so excited! it's not retail, yeah!
    Twelve? Oh, ouch. That sounds like a lot. I've been taking 9 a semester and felt like I was going to die by the end of it last year. I'm actually toning it down a little this year by taking two grad classes and 3 hours' worth of research credit (I had to do research last year, too, but for no credit).
    Of course, if you don't have to take horrible things like physics and statistics, then I suppose maybe 12 isn't quite as rough.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #12

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank LeRenard View Post
    Twelve? Oh, ouch. That sounds like a lot. I've been taking 9 a semester and felt like I was going to die by the end of it last year. I'm actually toning it down a little this year by taking two grad classes and 3 hours' worth of research credit (I had to do research last year, too, but for no credit).
    Of course, if you don't have to take horrible things like physics and statistics, then I suppose maybe 12 isn't quite as rough.
    It will be rough. I decided to get a Higher Education Masters in a year, which means 12,12,6 which isn't so bad. The program itself is designed more for people with jobs doing it in their spare time.
    On the bright side, my mother and father are both highly involved in higher education so i'm going to be worked half to death, but I'll have someone that genuinely knows what's up, and the reading is apparently easier than what I am used to, just lighter.

I'll do this semester and figure out how it's going, either way I would rather work myself to death in academia than continue working in retail, even if the people at my job are nice it's driving me nuts.

Weasyl
    MLR
    Quote Originally Posted by Fay V View Post
    I'll do this semester and figure out how it's going, either way I would rather work myself to death in academia than continue working in retail, even if the people at my job are nice it's driving me nuts.
    Makes perfect sense to me. I worked retail before I got into grad school as well, though I was in the cash office where I didn't have to deal with customers. But it's a little soul-draining, having to put on a uniform every day and stand there for hours doing the same activity over and over again.
    Anyway, congrats on getting into your program, and good luck.

Isn't there already a topic for college discussion?
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

Weasyl
    Ratte
    I'm going to Minot State to study biology. I've been looking forward to this for well over a year since my first university shafted me. :p

Classes start on the 20th. This will be my freshman year.

Weasyl
    MLR
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratte View Post
    I'm going to Minot State to study biology.
    What kind of biology?

Weasyl
    Ratte
    What kind of biology?
    It's just general biology. I'm lucky enough I'd like to be a laboratory technician at Mayo since I already live just outside of Rochester. I really really hope it's possible. Do you know if it is?

Weasyl
    MLR
    It's just general biology. I'm lucky enough I'd like to be a laboratory technician at Mayo since I already live just outside of Rochester. I really really hope it's possible. Do you know if it is?
    I suppose. Just make sure to focus a lot on lab work while you're in school, and try to land yourself a TA-ing job or something so you can say you've got experience. I don't know too much about hospital labs, though.

Weasyl
    Ratte
    I suppose. Just make sure to focus a lot on lab work while you're in school, and try to land yourself a TA-ing job or something so you can say you've got experience. I don't know too much about hospital labs, though.
    TA = teacher's assistant?

I'll be doing some work-study while I'm here. It won't be a whole lot in my pocket but I figure it'll pay for laundry and I'll get some experience out of it.

Weasyl
    MLR
    TA = teacher's assistant?
    Yeah. I don't know how it is at Minot, but in some places they'll stick undergrad TA's in charge of the low-level lab classes. If not, bug one of your professors to get you a job in his/her lab, even if it's just inventorying chemicals or washing beakers or something. I think work-study covers things like that on occasion, and if not, do it in combination with work-study.