Weasyl
    Morphology

Tutorial: Basic Molding and Resin Casting

Last edited by Morphology; 08-13-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Weasyl
    Taeso
    Very handy little tutorial for mask making, but for someone who might be working on a smaller scale like I would, how should they go about making a more box-like resin mold for parts like doll elements of small cast sculptures? I saw one fellow use clay as the rigid backing for a mold after making a frame with wood (makes sense for storage purposes if it's square to maximize space usage) and then poured the resin on top of that and half the object. Somehow he applied the keys in (I forget how but I may use plastic dowels as my 'keys' to insert into the first half of the clay, and then spray release on so that the 'female' mold will form around the keys and create the appropriate divots). Do you know an easier way of going about that or no?
    *Art is like telling a story with your emotions. If you can get yourself lost in the image's emotions and tale, chances are your peers will experience the same.*
    WARNING: This user is known to post in paragraphs - you have been advised!

Weasyl
    Morphology
    Unfortunately, I am not that experienced with box molds. While box molds are much more rigid and good for things like doll parts, they take a lot of silicone, and I do really huge pieces. I do glove molds like the one above usually.

This is a slightly larger scale than dolls, but I think the technique is the same.
    In this article he makes a replica Mass Effect gun and he seems to use the technique that you mentioned.

Weasyl
    Taeso
    Well.. now theory stands I can use less sillicone than one might think if I make a thick enough clay 'box' with baked sculpey that it can slip in and out of, like a close-fitting sleeve of silicone.

This'll have to call for some experimenting. hmm...
    *Art is like telling a story with your emotions. If you can get yourself lost in the image's emotions and tale, chances are your peers will experience the same.*

Weasyl
    Morphology
    Quote Originally Posted by Taesolieroy View Post
    Well.. now theory stands I can use less sillicone than one might think if I make a thick enough clay 'box' with baked sculpey that it can slip in and out of, like a close-fitting sleeve of silicone.

This'll have to call for some experimenting. hmm...
    It's always good to experiment with casting, because everyone has their own little tricks to making molds work, and it all depends on what you're making.

Weasyl
    Taeso
    Aye, and what I'm thinking is when I make the sculptey 'box' and form the sillicone 'stamp' the box will serve as a rigid form to protect the sillicone from storage knocks when the bin is moved around.. But first.. I'll need to make a test sculpt! But of what?! Hmmm... *goes off into a corner to muse while figuring her budget currently since she'd been planning to get shelves to store stuff on instead of in piles on the floor*

Weasyl
    Sar
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphology View Post
    Unfortunately, I am not that experienced with box molds. While box molds are much more rigid and good for things like doll parts, they take a lot organifi green juice of silicone, and I do really huge pieces. I do glove molds like the one above usually.
    Thanks for the tutorial. I love resin and you're right I tried it over Christmas on silicone and it doesn't work good at all. Your sculpture looks great.
    Last edited by Sar; 05-06-2017 at 05:53 AM.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Wow it looks amazing! great tutorial... do you have any other tips regarding where one can find even more info? thx! #YesIamAnoob