Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Project Community!

Quote Originally Posted by Ziblie View Post
    A very easy solution to the coloring book:

USE THE TAGS!

Tag your coloring book submission with "coloring_book" and that way anybody can find it to color. That's what I'm going to start doing. I love doing line art, and so rarely get a chance to just do lines! This'll be great for me and anybody else who wants to color it.
    Ooh, I think that's a fantastic idea!

let me just say hi, and this is a beautiful idea!
    I already have made Weasyl exclusive YCHs, journal posts, free art and the like that people cant get on other sites, so I will continue to do so in hopes that this migration continues, and the community here grows and thrives

I just wanted to add that if the monthly character contest thingy gets going, the initial character should probably be Wesley (?) (That's the sight mascots name right?)

Another website I used to frequent had a monthly drawing challenge where the winner picked a theme for the next month rather than a character. They also had a pretty unique system for determining the winner(s). But, I can't figure out how to explain it, it involved different rankings, and different numbers of points based on how each voter ranked things. (like you could pick a 1, 2, and 3, and they would each get a different number of points). I think only participants were allowed to vote as well.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

Hey everyone just wanted to say I've been a bit busy these last few days. I'll try to go through everything and update idea and projects and whatnot tomorrow! Keep on keepin' on and discussing! >V< /

I've got another thing to drop here, that came up in the discussion forum about tagging.

A community initiative to help get better tags on things. Sort of like the leave a comment initiative, and the do spotlight journals thing, only this one is to comb through a part of the gallery and add tags to things that need them. (Ex I spent a few days adding "fanart" and "fan_art" to lots of fanart cause noone tags their fanart as fanart). I don't always do it cause it can be pretty monotonous, but if lots of people tried to do a little bit at a time, I think it'll go a long way to help make the tag system even more robust.

The how to do good tags page is probably good required reading, since too many tags are of no real help.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

@aelyrin - WELL OKEE if you get some stuff lined out, throw a link down here. I will def read over it and give some help as I can!

Quote Originally Posted by tooiebird View Post
    I haven't gotten through this whole thread yet, my apologies.
    But I would love to volunteer myself to help! I don't know if anyone has volunteered for this yet, but I'm interested in leading/organizing a Daily Drawing challenge, as I am currently doing that on my own and have a whole list of prompts written up.
    If you could either make a journal or an account for this, I would also come up with a tag connected. This could be a really good idea, especially if you could organize some sort of prize for completing a prompt list w/ say 30 days or something! BUT YEAH do that and I'll link you down as ongoing projects!

@ali - SWEET. THank you again, also added!

Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    I'd be happy to promote exclusive artist materials for people who support the site. I mean if people are interested in textures or brushes. I'd love to put together a resource more exclusive to the community.

Oh, nearly forgot that I still have 2 Dragon's Crown art books I'm willing to throw in for people within the US at least (unless someone else can front shipping for foreign entities) if its something you could use.
    How would you be offering such a thing? : o I GUESS what exactly are you thinking? As a prize for things, or a giveaway, or just a resource list??

@Rococospade, aelyri, and Skahlly about coloring book: Oh these are great ideas!! I think just general coloring pages would be really nice as a start. You could have contests and/or features for some of the fancier coloring pages as a sort of reward, too! A theme or story would be a really good idea if it gets big enough to want to promote a book to sell... You could get a few people together and organize a script, and get artists to line pages that reflect w/ the storyline. Past that you could sell it, maybe donate some, and donate proceeds too! It would be a really super idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Skahlly View Post
    Also, I had an idea today about the Weasyl Fantasia thing. It sounds like, due to its previous host site (unless I'm forgetting something I read, highly possible!) that it was mainly about drawn art. Weasyl, on the other hand, is a fantastic multimedia site, so it could really even be broadened! Instead of just artwork depicting scenes from the 'war,' writers could submit written pieces following the theme, and musicians could even submit battle anthems, etc. Depending on how it was organized (like, if it was pretended that there were actually different kingdoms battling and whatnot) there could even be an initial sort of mini-competition to 'create' the kingdoms, where names would be come up with so that the amount of kingdoms and maybe locations on a fake map could be known, but then artists could compete to create a flag/symbol, writers could create a sort of historical/cultural synopsis, musicians could create a national anthem... Really depends on whether people would enjoy doing something as intense as that or not, but, if so, it could be a fun way to really get into it!
    AHI think all sorts of art should be accepted anyway! If there is a lot of submissions of one kind, they could be selected by how many views and then accepted as canon for that faction... But I think for the first Weasyl Fantasia is should be a bit simpler.. so such a thing or option may not be big enough to need right off the bat as something to judge separately. I think a mini competition could be fun though as a sort of kickstarter type idea? D

Quote Originally Posted by ArcheKruz View Post
    I just had an idea that is based on the Weasyl Fantasia thing, I think that it would be cool to make a mod/game on the ZDoom engine where artists come together to help build something that users can interact with and enjoy. I am thinking, artists that can make sprites for first person view of weapons and animate them, design and sprite monsters, and props, design textures, and write a story in which the game will take place in. Once that is done, I, or anyone proficient in Decorate and ACS can put the game together, and someone who knows how to use DoomBuilder 2 or GZDoom builder can start building levels for it. It would be a good excuse for me to learn how to use DoomBuilder and GZDoom Builder, though anyone who is more experienced would be more than welcome to take over.

All this, will be based on the world created by the Weasyl Fantasia project.
    This is a cool idea, but I think it's a bit too grand to organize for a first go. It might be cool, though, to try and organize POST-Fantasia? Like let the artists and users work out how everything goes down, then make a game based off of it? Could be pretty cool! Though making a game would take literally SO MUCH organization oh my gosh... @w@

@Skahlly and aelyrin about Scavenger Hunt: I think I agree with Aelyrin here. It would get a lot more complicated and confusing if users were to post for it... I think just searching already existing would be a lot easier,a nd also help promote artists through fun! who knows though it could be a fun idea to play with for the future!

Quote Originally Posted by lorenith View Post
    I just wanted to add that if the monthly character contest thingy gets going, the initial character should probably be Wesley (?) (That's the sight mascots name right?)

Another website I used to frequent had a monthly drawing challenge where the winner picked a theme for the next month rather than a character. They also had a pretty unique system for determining the winner(s). But, I can't figure out how to explain it, it involved different rankings, and different numbers of points based on how each voter ranked things. (like you could pick a 1, 2, and 3, and they would each get a different number of points). I think only participants were allowed to vote as well.
    Oh I like the site mascot idea for the starting contest!

And hey why not both? I think having characters would maybe be more encouraging... cuz if you win then you get to have a month of people drawing your character. But themes could be more open and inspiring.
    Last edited by Jotaku; 02-08-2014 at 02:09 AM.

Weasyl
    Chri
    Hmmm... It is a bit hard to really understand what is going on in Pixiv Fantasia cause of the language barrier. I see a lot of character art when I look for things related to Fantasia. I saw someone on FA pose the idea of building a world, it didn't see to be getting that much participation though. :/ I don't remember who it was and I got rid of the link.I don't know if it helps, but we could perhaps use something like D&D or Pathfinder kind of as a template for Weasyl Fantasia. We could try to build it from ground up, but start with small chunks. Like, Let's build a world! People can submit pictures of their ideas of the world and it can get voted on. Or we could start with, let's build gods. Come up with the gods that will be over the land, what they do, what their role was in creation (if any), and how the world was created.

Not sure how well that would work out, I know when I would think about adding to it I didn't feel like I had the time for it and that I am trying to work on my own thing. Perhaps there are some people out there though that would like it. I think getting the word out might be the hardest thing about it. It will probably take time to gain notice. So if we started with say, let's build gods, we would probably only get a few submissions. I could be wrong though, who knows. I think it should be given a lot of time though. Or we could change it up every month or something. Like one month is build a god, next is make a character, or world, or kingdom. We would put that project to the side and work on something else next month. Maybe get back to the god building some other month later in the year or something.

Or we could have it really open, just have let's build a world and have different folders. People could tag their posts with Weasyl Fantasia god, Weasyl Fantasia Class, Fantasia monster or the like. We wouldn't have any wars till we had some kingdoms or groups to fight.

We could also do it kind of like http://entervoid.com/ where artiest create a character and that character would challenge another. They would draw a comic within 7 days I think of the characters fighting each other. The comics would get voted on for who won.

Quote Originally Posted by Chri View Post
    Hmmm... It is a bit hard to really understand what is going on in Pixiv Fantasia cause of the language barrier. I see a lot of character art when I look for things related to Fantasia. I saw someone on FA pose the idea of building a world, it didn't see to be getting that much participation though. :/ I don't remember who it was and I got rid of the link.I don't know if it helps, but we could perhaps use something like D&D or Pathfinder kind of as a template for Weasyl Fantasia. We could try to build it from ground up, but start with small chunks. Like, Let's build a world! People can submit pictures of their ideas of the world and it can get voted on. Or we could start with, let's build gods. Come up with the gods that will be over the land, what they do, what their role was in creation (if any), and how the world was created.

Not sure how well that would work out, I know when I would think about adding to it I didn't feel like I had the time for it and that I am trying to work on my own thing. Perhaps there are some people out there though that would like it. I think getting the word out might be the hardest thing about it. It will probably take time to gain notice. So if we started with say, let's build gods, we would probably only get a few submissions. I could be wrong though, who knows. I think it should be given a lot of time though. Or we could change it up every month or something. Like one month is build a god, next is make a character, or world, or kingdom. We would put that project to the side and work on something else next month. Maybe get back to the god building some other month later in the year or something.

Or we could have it really open, just have let's build a world and have different folders. People could tag their posts with Weasyl Fantasia god, Weasyl Fantasia Class, Fantasia monster or the like. We wouldn't have any wars till we had some kingdoms or groups to fight.

We could also do it kind of like http://entervoid.com/ where artiest create a character and that character would challenge another. They would draw a comic within 7 days I think of the characters fighting each other. The comics would get voted on for who won.
    I feel guilty making my first here post a rebuttal, but I've gotta admit I'm not entirely comfortable with calling this a Fantasia event.

World building is definitely part of the overarching theme of this game, I think, but it's difficult to do that with a large scale of participants in the way you describe (if I'm understanding it right). The Pixiv version of the event is ultimately character driven - as a lot of folks here are with their work, I imagine! - where you can place them where you like in the year's given setting (settings? chosen by the creator? For Weasyl I'm not sure how that should be manned - but that can be another conversation).

Looking over the guide on the Pixiv version posted, I was really excited by the idea of its fast pace, different ways of tallying scores, etc. - even with me being the type that takes forever to draw, too. I feel slowing it down so significantly could get submissions lost in the flood of time, participation to wane the longer it goes on, etc. just out of experience with long-term vs short term activities.

Mainly - on a personal note - just thinking of the years Pixiv Fantasia has behind it, I'm a little worried about what might happen reaction-wise if word floats along that we have a "Fantasia" event that technically isn't one. Like - focusing on different things monthly is interesting, and could produce just as cool results fine, but I'm basically reading a very different event there from what Fantasia is in spirit.

Your idea could be successful, I honestly believe that. But with the goal of this thread being to stir up excitement on Weasyl, would it not make sense to have a game that's quick to evolve and keep people interested as it goes on? Even if it has to be from the sidelines.

tl;dr - both could be good!! But Fantasia is Fantasia, and to be called so it's best run as is as possible, imo. Or something ajkdfkl ;A;

Weasyl
    Chri
    Those are all good points Ganache.

Weasyl
    Chri
    What can the wishlist cover do you think? All I can think of is art of someones character. I guess it could cover trinkets like sculptures or badges. Fur suits and the like maybe. Anything else? I am a trying to think of what to put on the front of the page as a description as well as how to advertise it.