Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Project Community!

WOW! jfklsdj;fdl SO MANY GREAT RESPONSES! /huffs *V*
    Thank you so much, Fiz, for pinning this thread. It's a huge honor and I hope some really cool stuff can actually come about because of it! : D

Dang, though, so many good ideas and posts to go through.
    Firstly, I've added all those who volunteered (as tributes) to either provide art/services or advertise. IF I MISSED YOU accidentally lemme know and I'll rectify it!
    Secondly, I added all the suggestions I've gotten so far. FOR REAL GUYS IF YOU SEE ANYTHING you really want to happen--grab a hold of it and start organizing yourself, or asking the questions on how TO organize it. I will do my best to help out any projects I can. I'm very good at organizing and brainstorming. Of course I can't do every project ever, so I really need people willing to step up and take control of things they really wanna see happen.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilSonic View Post
    I really like that Weasyl Fantasia idea! I would love to help with ideas on that if that gets started (and I can think of what to add onto it. ). The Commissions list account sounds cool too, but wouldn't it be better as a forum topic maybe? It just seems like it would be a waste of an account with it's just a list and no art.... Well, I guess you could upload a preview art of each artist every time they reopen their commissions or something (with the user's name on the picture) but I still think that would probably work better as a topic on here.
    Unfortunately I don't think a commission thread would be as useful as an account. A lot of people who use the site will never bother with using the forums (as I'm sure many will think it's too much work, etc etc)--also there is a spot in the forums already for those offering commissions. I think an account would be best, cuz then people could follow without having to go anywhere extra.
    I can see it working out if a group of users came together to mod it. Like how you can show specific things on the front of your userpage. (I forget if you can feature collections) but with that you could collect commission guides or journals, even using favorites could work out. If there were mods with enough time to do so, they could even do monthly to weekly journals advertising those who are open. This way you have, like, a continuous news feed with all sorts of artists open at any given time. /Would really like to see this become a thing tbh

Quote Originally Posted by lorenith View Post
    I wish I could remember more clearly a lot of the community art "games" that were on yerf...there were quite a few of those....
    Holy cow these are REALLY AWESOME ideas and I have added all of them! I especially like your initial idea, with the character contest. I think it could really be successful as a monthly contest with the winners providing a character to draw. There could be a rule where if you win a round, you may participate, but can't be chosen as a winner for a certain number of rounds after. I would really love to see this one happen, as well as participate should it transpire! *V*

Quote Originally Posted by BlackKat View Post
    I was also thinking about some sort of "Weasyl V-Day Art Exchange" for a Community Event. My PKMN Merchandising community has this annual event called the "Secret Valentine Exchange".
    I agree it may be a little short on notice for a V-day exchange, but maybe you could do something for White's day instead? Something like... to join, you can apply by drawing your character offering a valentines gift. For White's day, the secret valentines could draw that character with an offered return gift? It could be really cute OOO
    Applications would probably have to include the character initially, but also maybe things that character likes, or 'types' that character is interested--if they prefer romantic or friendly gestures, or even allow for gag gifts, etc. I think it could be worked out!

As far as Weasyl Fantasia goes....
    I really would like to be hands on with this project and push into being something if possible. Even if it takes quite a bit of time and effort aaah
    Can anyone tell me the themes and examples from past Pixiv Fantasias as example? I work best with examples,and I've read and checked out a lot but AHHH I don't have a Pixiv myself and all the Japanese confuses me @3@
    I also know dA Fantasia is a bit more RP-related. Which I wouldn't want to discourage RPing, but I think I like the Pixiv version of being more illustration/art-based.

Quote Originally Posted by Skahlly View Post
    I also think that the Weasyl Fantasia thing sounds really cool in particular. I'm not sure how much effort it would take to get it happening on Weasyl, but it sounds like something fun to participate in and/or help to happen. As scores are tallied by pageviews, I was initially uncertain, as at that point it can clearly be a battle only among the most popular artists, but it appears that there is somewhat of a system guideline in place to account for that and try to prevent some skew, so that's good--I think either 3 pageview categories as noted in the GoogleDoc or categories determined by number of user watchers would both be effective.
    Yes, I saw that and thought it would be a good idea to use, as well. Especially given how tiny Weasyl still is. I think the first Chapter could be used as a bit of an experiment. Seeing the range of page views each image get (though we may want to see about incorporating favorites somehow, too. As I'm unsure how pageviews are tallied on Weasyl, and people could cheat by trying to view an image repeatedly to boost it.. hmm) Anyway, given the results of the first chapter, the results could be evenly split and then figured the winning factions after that.

So, uh, I haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if this has been raised before, but I was thinking one other thing that may help create more of a community environment is sort of similar to the whole "Follow Friday" thing that some people do on Twitter? Like, once a week people post a journal suggesting an artist/writer/whatever on Weasyl that their followers might want to follow? Might help people find more Weasyl artists they like and create more sense of community?

Hahaha I feel like this sounds really stupid written out. Anyway, thought I'd suggest it. I may start doing it myself either way.

Quote Originally Posted by LobitoHusky View Post
    So, uh, I haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if this has been raised before, but I was thinking one other thing that may help create more of a community environment is sort of similar to the whole "Follow Friday" thing that some people do on Twitter? Like, once a week people post a journal suggesting an artist/writer/whatever on Weasyl that their followers might want to follow? Might help people find more Weasyl artists they like and create more sense of community?

Hahaha I feel like this sounds really stupid written out. Anyway, thought I'd suggest it. I may start doing it myself either way.
    Oh no, it doesn't sound silly! I think this is a good idea. If you post a journal about it/make it an actual thing and start doing it yourself, I will put it under the ongoing/current projects and events section!
    If you don't want to, for whatever reason, I will put it under the suggestions section for maybe another user to try and launch.

I've had someone bring up features before. I will be trying to do weekly to monthly Project Community news journals on my Weasyl, and through those I will try to feature different artists. So definitely a good idea, and I will be doing something similar myself!

Weasyl
    aelyrin
    Hey Jojo! I have an idea that I think will fit in with this project.
    Last year, on FA, I created the wishlist account to house a masterlist of all the wishlists people posted every year around christmas time, as well as showcase all the wishes granted.
    I was just thinking, why not do the same here? Wishlists are a year-round thing, really. For example, if someone is super strapped for cash in summer, perhaps wishlist could help.
    Just a thought \_(ツ)_/

edit:
    Would a scavenger hunt be a stupid idea...?;;;
    Last edited by aelyrin; 02-03-2014 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaku View Post
    Oh no, it doesn't sound silly! I think this is a good idea. If you post a journal about it/make it an actual thing and start doing it yourself, I will put it under the ongoing/current projects and events section!
    If you don't want to, for whatever reason, I will put it under the suggestions section for maybe another user to try and launch.

I've had someone bring up features before. I will be trying to do weekly to monthly Project Community news journals on my Weasyl, and through those I will try to feature different artists. So definitely a good idea, and I will be doing something similar myself!
    I'm absolutely going to start doing it myself this week, and I made a journal to promote it to my (admittedly super-meagre) follow-list. Hopefully it'll catch on a bit!

Weasyl
    Tierael
    Wow this is such a great idea. It is awesome that it got pinned by staff, congrats! I hope this takes off. Thank you for starting this and trying to bring us all together and to all who are spending their time participating! I have been doing my best to do my part as a general watcher by commenting and following various artists. Granted I don't participate in raffles or streams because I find them a bit intimidating when there are so many people. ^^;

Weasyl
    VernonCross
    Maybe we could do something to help artists with art blocks? My friends and I used to do this thing where we'd randomly generate information for characters and do quick pictures of them/ quick ass design work to get back into the flow of things. We wouldn't worry about how good/bad it looked, the point was to get the bad drawn to make room for the good.
    I could go find websites for the generators, if anyone is interested in that sort of thing.

I know I wouldn't mind trying it again, and i'm sure we could add onto it and make it funner/ better in general.

also, maybe people could ask for feedback/ advice on pictures? constructive critique's? I know it's always hard to get people to stop and look so it'd be cool to have somewhere to go when you need a helping hand, y'know?

Quote Originally Posted by aelyrin View Post
    Hey Jojo! I have an idea that I think will fit in with this project.
    Last year, on FA, I created the wishlist account to house a masterlist of all the wishlists people posted every year around christmas time, as well as showcase all the wishes granted.
    I was just thinking, why not do the same here? Wishlists are a year-round thing, really. For example, if someone is super strapped for cash in summer, perhaps wishlist could help.
    Just a thought \_(ツ)_/

edit:
    Would a scavenger hunt be a stupid idea...?;;;
    Oh, this is a really nice idea! I'll add it to the suggestion list.
    Are you thinking about doing this for Weasyl yourself then?

ALSO SCAVENGER HUNT is an awesome idea! Definitely adding!

Quote Originally Posted by LobitoHusky View Post
    I'm absolutely going to start doing it myself this week, and I made a journal to promote it to my (admittedly super-meagre) follow-list. Hopefully it'll catch on a bit!
    Awesome!! I added it the project list, hopefully others decide to pick it up as well!
    I'm sure if you do features, stating it is part of your project boost and each time recommending to do the same, as well as informing those you feature that you DID... it could spread w/ time!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOmni View Post
    Maybe we could do something to help artists with art blocks? My friends and I used to do this thing where we'd randomly generate information for characters and do quick pictures of them/ quick ass design work to get back into the flow of things. We wouldn't worry about how good/bad it looked, the point was to get the bad drawn to make room for the good.
    I could go find websites for the generators, if anyone is interested in that sort of thing.
    How would you set up such a project? Like create an account or something....? I think it's a good idea to have some sort of means to get people out of art block, for sure! But what are your ideas on making it some sort of project or thing to work on weasyl? : o

Also thank you @Tierael! Hopefully things do go well with this project.

Weasyl
    VernonCross
    How would you set up such a project? Like create an account or something....? I think it's a good idea to have some sort of means to get people out of art block, for sure! But what are your ideas on making it some sort of project or thing to work on weasyl? : o
    Well I was thinking having a group of some sort, i'm not completely familiar with all of Weasyls doohickey's just yet but i'm sure there's something we could use for people to get together and random generate stuff for eachother.
    Cause Requests generally tie you up with an expectancy of something nice from the artist working, and that puts pressure on them that they don't need cause they're already in a block. So it'd be strictly things non-associated with anyone so the artist won't have to feel pressured to do a fantastic job.

As for getting a group together, I think an account would probably work best, or maybe just setting up a thread with some links in it for people to go to and get something generated, and have a place they can post their scribbles -if- they'd like to.

Feel free to enlighten me to any other features i may have missed, i just joined the forums today and saw something about Groups and things, i may have to check it out and see how it works, then maybe we could just use that? XD

aahhrambles /still half asleep even though i've been up for 5-6 hours already/

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOmni View Post
    Well I was thinking having a group of some sort, i'm not completely familiar with all of Weasyls doohickey's just yet but i'm sure there's something we could use for people to get together and random generate stuff for eachother.
    Cause Requests generally tie you up with an expectancy of something nice from the artist working, and that puts pressure on them that they don't need cause they're already in a block. So it'd be strictly things non-associated with anyone so the artist won't have to feel pressured to do a fantastic job.

As for getting a group together, I think an account would probably work best, or maybe just setting up a thread with some links in it for people to go to and get something generated, and have a place they can post their scribbles -if- they'd like to.

Feel free to enlighten me to any other features i may have missed, i just joined the forums today and saw something about Groups and things, i may have to check it out and see how it works, then maybe we could just use that? XD

aahhrambles /still half asleep even though i've been up for 5-6 hours already/
    HMMMmmm....
    I think the forums are great, but a lot of times users won't really bother with them. I definitely feel most weasyl projects would be more beneficial if there is some sort of SOMETHING going on w/ the main site, too. Either like keeping updated tabs on journals, or a new account...
    I think a new account /tag system combo could work pretty well.
    You could make the account just as a place to store collections--journals tagged with ideas/props and drawings that follow through on them. It would be hard to get off the ground properly, though, without a fairly good chunk of people already willing to participate with it from the start, or without turning it into some sort of event/contest to get it rolling.

Or maybe! You could do the account thing, but also a thread. The thread could be for the more real time sketch and idea providing or something? Like a game.... comment an idea/prop (generated or your own), and draw the one in the comment above yours? : O