Weasyl
    RedSavage

Massive DDos Attack Going on Across the Web

Sites purportedly affected so far:

Furaffinity
    Furaffinity Forums
    InkBunny
    SoFurry

Apparently Walmart, Norton, and Pearson Education were on that list, but it does not appear to be the case (at least anymore).

Here is a map of said attack online: http://www.digitalattackmap.com/#ani...16358&view=map

For those wondering what this is.

DDoS in a nutshell:

A Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack is an attempt to make an online service unavailable by overwhelming it with traffic from multiple sources. They target a wide variety of important resources, from banks to news websites, and present a major challenge to making sure people can publish and access important information.

Building Capacity

Attackers build networks of infected computers, known as 'botnets', by spreading malicious software through emails, websites and social media. Once infected, these machines can be controlled remotely, without their owners' knowledge, and used like an army to launch an attack against any target. Some botnets are millions of machines strong.

Launching Attacks

Botnets can generate huge floods of traffic to overwhelm a target. These floods can be generated in multiple ways, such as sending more connection requests than a server can handle, or having computers send the victim huge amounts of random data to use up the targetís bandwidth. Some attacks are so big they can max out a country's international cable capacity.

Selling Silence

Specialized online marketplaces exist to buy and sell botnets or individual DDoS attacks. Using these underground markets, anyone can pay a nominal fee to silence websites they disagree with or disrupt an organizationís online operations. A week-long DDoS attack, capable of taking a small organization offline can cost as little as $150.

All literally taken from right here: http://www.digitalattackmap.com/understanding-ddos/

Weasyl
    Harbinger
    Wonder who it could be <_<
    Its getting pretty pathetic though, i mean bollucks to some of those sites but i have tonnes of friends on FA that i cant get in touch other way else.
    Ah well at least i suppose i'll have to go outside for a bit :B
    "Some people think im bonkers, but i just think im free..."

Weasyl
    RedSavage
    Last edited by RedSavage; 10-15-2014 at 07:40 PM.

Weasyl
    sassySloth
    Clearly they are proving that we are assholes

I was expecting to receive two commissions last night but now I'm forced to play the waiting game.
    Hope FA can get themselves up and running soon.

I joke about people being angsty and ridiculous when FA goes down, but I have to admit I'm sort of lost without it. Just don't tell anyone.
    Watch me swooce right in.

Weasyl
    Vae
    Eh, furry sites have been getting DDosed for ages, so it doesn't really phase me at all.

Walmart and Pearson seem kind of... random, for that grouping, though.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    RedSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    Eh, furry sites have been getting DDosed for ages, so it doesn't really phase me at all.

Walmart and Pearson seem kind of... random, for that grouping, though.
    Yeah, though this one is admittedly pretty massive. Check here real quick: http://www.digitalattackmap.com

Then check the gallery of previous attacks: http://www.digitalattackmap.com/gallery/

This is pretty damn significant.

Weasyl
    Iscin
    To be honest this is not as surprising as it would have been only a handful of years ago.

We have seen DDoS groups start to launch campaigns with a theme. In particular gaming sites, including MMOs, have seen a couple of such linked attacks across the board. It was only a matter of time until someone either launched or paid someone else to launch a consolidated attack against furry sites. Of course so far they have clearly missed out on sites such as Weasyl, e621 and F-List.

Another day on the internet, another DDoS attack. Keep calm and carry on.

Weasyl
    stlnkflst
    I honestly cannot say I'm surprised that the DDOS seems to be mainly on furry sites considering furries seem to be the 'worst part' of the internet. I don't think it's too much of a problem, though. Admins will fix them in due time.

I only made my account yesterday too.
    Hm, great impression. :p

FA goes down so often you can set your watch to it.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    Butterflygoddess
    You have to be a serious douchebag to take enough time to do this. Fo real.