Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Mental Health?

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    Quote Originally Posted by wwretched View Post
    I'd have to say that fandoms provide an outlet for the mentally stressed. I know it's true in my case, and I know it's true in the cases of others. In reality, it's about 1 in 5 that are diagnosed with a mental illness, but on here and other sites it appears to be every 4 in 5. Birds of a feather flock together I suppose, and I don't have any statistics or anything but I believe that the mentally ill are more likely to be creative than the rest of population simply because there's a need for an outlet. Of course, I could be wrong but that seems to be the general consensus??
    I know I spend more time on the internet if I'm feeling particularly neurotic than I would otherwise. If I feel particularly twitchy, anxious, and at risk for a panic attack, I'm going to opt to stay home rather than go out to a crowded bar with friends. (Panic attacks in public are mortifying, and make me feel guilty for worrying my friends.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaming View Post
    I guess. Creativity can increase as a result but it can also stagnate and drop
    My own personal, anecdotal experience of depression is that I find it very difficult to be creative. I lack interest in anything. I think of drawing something, and I immediately think of how pointless art is, how awful my art is, how shitty and unworthy my interests are, and I just end up sitting in darkness, feeling paralyzed. It's the same for any other hobby I may have. Video games? Pfft, even more worthless than art. Exercise? Why bother trying to fix up a shit house, I will always be awful and awful-looking. Reading? To what end? Fiction is useless, and I'm too stupid to learn anything new. And so on and so forth.

And anxiety is too all-encompassing to really make any art out of, for me. Why draw when I am afraid of the literal end of the world? Who could be productive when we're all going to drown, or choke in ash if the Yellowstone caldera goes, or get bombed, or all the other stuff that is kind of pointless to worry about (not that it stops me)? Usually my only way out of anxiety is to just talk myself into feeling regular-awful ("why does it matter if you die, you deserve it anyway") whiiiich is just as dysfunctional and useless.

It's decent fodder for artwork after I've sludged in the direction of being somewhat functional again, but yeah, it has a pretty negative impact on creativity for me, personally.
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Was panicing pretty bad last night, did not have a good time.
    Took Xanax, and instead of remaining a sobbing mess I basically just laid around on my bed laughing at my cat and then passed out dead asleep for like 12 hours.

Weasyl
    KumatoraKazooie
    I'm an Aspie myself near the high-functioning end of the spectrum (diagnosed when I was 11, originally thought to have ADHD instead because I had a hard time staying in once place for too long, had trouble concentrating and I was easily distracted).

I have trouble communicating because I talk to fast and try to finish people sentences because I am so impatient and my brain runs faster than my mouth, and I may talk to loudly, especially when I'm excited. I also have a hard time understanding when someone is joking or not, especially my dad and have a bit of trouble keeping eye contact during a conversation. I tend to watch the person's mouth instead. Additionally I have a skin and scalp picking habit (addiction?) which usually happens when I'm bored and/or my hands have nothing to do.

Right now I take Zoloft to take care of my impulses dnd it seems to be working. Having a toy do fiddle with and keeping myself busy while my life is in limbo has helped as well.

Weasyl
    Bliss.in.Oblivion
    I, personally, am just really open about almost everything about me, including my mental illness. Idunno about anyone else.
    Maybe we should include mental illness in the furry surveys to actually see if we do attract more or if we're just open or something? It would at least be interesting.

Bipolar Disorder (Type II), been diagnosed as such for almost 20 years now. A bunch of other things as well, including anxiety disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and a few other Axis-2 disorders.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissfulOblivion View Post
    I, personally, am just really open about almost everything about me, including my mental illness. Idunno about anyone else.
    Maybe we should include mental illness in the furry surveys to actually see if we do attract more or if we're just open or something? It would at least be interesting.
    Based on the amount of self-diagnosis and "I'm pretty sure I have", chances are the survey would not be an accurate representation. I imagine we'd see a whole lot of "I'm skitzafrenick x3!!!!!!!" in the survey answers.

Weasyl
    TheLexicon
    Quote Originally Posted by wwretched View Post
    I'd have to say that fandoms provide an outlet for the mentally stressed. I know it's true in my case, and I know it's true in the cases of others. In reality, it's about 1 in 5 that are diagnosed with a mental illness, but on here and other sites it appears to be every 4 in 5. Birds of a feather flock together I suppose, and I don't have any statistics or anything but I believe that the mentally ill are more likely to be creative than the rest of population simply because there's a need for an outlet. Of course, I could be wrong but that seems to be the general consensus??
    You're technically correct, but I would phrase it another way. Creativity is essentially born of isolation. Many, almost all, great writers and artists were typically introverted, or at the very least preferred deep thought to discussions with other people. Introverted people in general are more creative because the process for conceiving ideas involves deep and contemplative thought, which is far more successful a venture when taken in solitude.

This is essentially why people with mental illness tend to be creative; their mental illness tends to make them antisocial as they are less likely and able to make friends and successfully interact and connect with others on a daily basis, which leads to isolation and deep thought. Because introverted people in general tend to find it easier to clearly communicate messages through writing rather than speaking, they typically come to enjoy hobbies such as writing, drawing, and other solitary activities that allow them to express the creative thoughts and ideas they conceived during deep thought.

This is where the outlet part comes in, especially among like-minded people, because the stories and art they create are better understood by those who share a similar mind, which in turn allows for them to feel connected to another person, a feeling normally foreign to them. From there, interests are shared and soon, when patterns form and one single similarity becomes apparent to all members, an Internet fandom is created for the sake of being a creative outlet for those who feel isolated from society because of their mental abnormalities or unorthodox personality.

At least, that's how I think of it, and I'm always wrong. *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by gorgonops View Post
    My own personal, anecdotal experience of depression is that I find it very difficult to be creative. I lack interest in anything. I think of drawing something, and I immediately think of how pointless art is, how awful my art is, how shitty and unworthy my interests are, and I just end up sitting in darkness, feeling paralyzed. It's the same for any other hobby I may have. Video games? Pfft, even more worthless than art. Exercise? Why bother trying to fix up a shit house, I will always be awful and awful-looking. Reading? To what end? Fiction is useless, and I'm too stupid to learn anything new. And so on and so forth.
    As someone who feels similar about themselves, I agree almost completely with this. However, people deal with emotions in their own way. You and I are both creatively demoralized because we see no reason for expressing our thoughts and feelings and think it best to internalize it all. But other people will use how they currently think and feel as an inspiration to communicate a message they feel is not often heard, but very important nonetheless, through their artistic talents, sometimes even as a way to reach out for help, because, as I've stated earlier, introverted people typically communicate better through writing and art than speaking.

Don't really take anything I'm saying here as undisputed fact. For one, I am building off the assumption that most every creative person online are introverted by nature, which is not necessarily true, just highly probable. And the human mind is an incredibly complex mechanism, just as complicated as the structure of our universe if not moreso, so it is extremely difficult to accurately pinpoint the behaviours of specific individuals due to the fact that no two people are completely alike in thought process and behaviour. Everything I've said here is only theory, but it is highly probable because many studies have concluded that these behavioural traits are liable to be with someone naturally introverted.

Weasyl
    Vae
    I find that I'm the most creative in regards to mental illness when I'm deeply entrenched in a borderline-masochistic sense of self-loathing. The kind where you would thank someone for coming in and unloading a shotgun on you, because you "deserve it." It's when ideas flow into execution the best, and I'm at the peak of my creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by BlissfulOblivion View Post
    I'm not going to run up to someone and go "lol hi im biPolurz", but I don't give a shit if someone asks. It's just a facet of my life, like anything else. A fucking annoying one, but it's one I have to live with, nonetheless, so why shame myself for it?
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    JiJi
    Probably not in the same ballpark as most of the folks here, I have ADD.
    Not ADHD apparently , no hyperactivity (although I am sure I have moments as my friends and family have told me too.)
    I can't seem to make myself do any activities for long without doing something else, I'm meant to be watching a vocal training video, I've passed it up twice now. Now I'm aware of it I'm getting better with it. My days are scheduled, I exercise to burn energy (and feel better) and I make goals of my uni and personal studies weekly.

dA|FA|Weasyl|Soundcloud|Tumblr|Steam

Avatar by the beautiful Chipsticks!

Weasyl
    Infestissumam
    stepping on the crowtche owf your americain presidaint
    Everyone has mental health problems. There are no normal people.

Except for me, I've never been diagnosed with anything. Mostly because I haven't ever seen a therapist or psychologist. Someone profits if you get a prescription, so I've never really been able to trust that.