Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Mental Health?

Weasyl
    therainbowtroll
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgonops View Post
    True! But, to reiterate, if those things all fail, and you're still plagued with, say, thoughts of how horrible you are and how you're probably best off killing yourself, seeking medication is not an invalid option.

It took me a while to accept this. I spent so long so upset that all of the exercise, better diet choices, and therapy (I wish I could've felt interested in hobbies, but it all felt like pointless faff) didn't help because I felt that I, personally, had failed. I was doomed to be this way forever because I could not talk, eat, or run my way out of it.

Now I'm on a mood stabilizer and it has honestly helped. The obsessive/compulsive thoughts are still there, but they hit less hard. It feels less real/distressing when I think, "You're going to die soon. You're going to die now. Now. It's now. And you deserve it, you fat useless faggot fuck." (It still sucks but it's like someone's turned down the speaker, at least.) I still don't understand why my friends put up with me and lack any real sense of self worth, but it's much easier to talk these things out now in therapy.

I guess I had to slow the thoughts down enough to catch them and even begin to try to train myself to think differently? I don't know. I'm less miserable more often now.

But everyone is an individual. I guess the trick is to figure out what you, yourself, need, and try not to let whatever stigmas you've internalized stop you from pursuing it. What works for someone else isn't necessarily going to be what works for you.

Oh yeah for sure. Medication has helped me so much. I am acctully able to think and do things now that Im up a bit. I feel normal.

Medication isent bad. But it can be over used by doctors beacuse the counselling system is full or they dont know how else to deal with it.

Many of the people on my crisis line do NOT want to take meds but feel pressured from thier doctors. Its just a nice alternative for thous who dont want meds.

But if NONE of these things work for a long time they should look into it. With a responsible doctor on your side health is not far away.

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    Quote Originally Posted by therainbowtroll View Post
    Oh yeah for sure. Medication has helped me so much. I am acctully able to think and do things now that Im up a bit. I feel normal.

Medication isent bad. But it can be over used by doctors beacuse the counselling system is full or they dont know how else to deal with it.

Many of the people on my crisis line do NOT want to take meds but feel pressured from thier doctors. Its just a nice alternative for thous who dont want meds.

But if NONE of these things work for a long time they should look into it. With a responsible doctor on your side health is not far away.
    I agree it's overused for a lot of stuff. Especially in kids. A psychiatrist would not be (and wasn't) my first stop on my Journey to Being a Kinda Functional Person, Maybe. (For one thing, holy hell are they expensive.) It was very much a "what is your problem and how can I fix it with medication" visit (perhaps in part because he knew I was already seeking therapy) but it was something I'd already come to the conclusion I probably needed.

I confess to not having felt any pressure from my doctors to be on drugs that I didn't want to be, but then, I had a hellacious problem even convincing my parents I had a problem as a kid, which I imagine is where most of that pressure is. I had to wait until I was an adult to seek help.

I've had a lot of people in my life telling me that I'm basically still anxious/sad/hate myself because I'm not trying hard enough, though, including my parents. And if that's a message you've received, it's hard to even consider anything that's not basically treating mental illness like it's vulnerable to punches, stiff upper lips, and being out-macho'd.

"If you can't do anything about it, why worry?" Uh, I don't know, maybe that's why they call it an anxiety disorder. "Just try not to worry!" JUST BE BETTER AT MANAGING YOUR ANXIETY, GOSH.

"Just fill your day with positive thoughts!" Uh, thanks, but, I have no idea how to stop the shitty ones long enough to fill my day with anything else. I clearly haven't conveyed the compulsive and distressing nature of the hell that is living inside my head.

"Have you tried exercise?" "Yes." "What have you tried?" "Tae kwon do, running, and weightlifting?" "... Oh. Has it helped?" "Not really." What did you think I was going to say? 'Oh, I walk around my house and look sad, that's my exercise'? So you could swoop in with your sage advice?

"Have you tried aromatherapy/acupuncture/herbal supplements? I just don't trust modern medicine." (This one I haven't internalized, I just included it because that crap infuriates me.)

"Your life is fine, why are you sad?" I don't fucking know! "Depression is such a first world problem, get over yourself." Is it? Then why is India so depressed?

So it was hard to admit to myself that maybe I couldn't be the self-reliant BAMF that just does a few pushups and screams at an eagle and feels better about everything, and actually go seek help. Doubly hard when I realized I might actually need medication.

I guess having any kind of mental illness means you just get to deal with mixed messages all over the place, which sucks when you're in a particularly vulnerable place.

Edit: If I sound annoyed, it is not at you or anyone in this post. It's just... in general.
    Last edited by Ruggy; 04-03-2014 at 02:14 PM.
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

It sounds like you know a bunch of people that know exactly how not to talk to someone with depression and anxiety, it normally makes me feel worse when people talk to me like that.

I think the hardest thing for me is how "invisible" a thing mental illness is, even when it's right in someones face. I actually discussed it with disability services some when I was at school still. And there's no easy way to deal with it in regards to work or school. You can tell them and risk getting rejected even though it's not really legal, or you can not tell them, and face trouble later on if something flares up real bad. I've lost friends because of it too, although I suppose if their response to my moods is to avoid me and then get mad at me when I am unhappy that they are avoiding me they weren't really as good of friends as I had thought..

As far as psychiatry goes, I think it may be dependent on the doctor? Two of the psychiatrists I had at school were very good, my last one didn't just try to throw medicine at me. He would talk to me in length about how I was feeling and we worked really closely to make sure I was happy with the medication we were trying because I kept having nasty side effects. (he also would ask about how my counseling sessions were going, and talk to my counselor sometimes). My first psychiatrist was like that too (they rotate, I think most of the psychiatrists at my school were doing their residencies or something)

One in the middle was awful though, I saw her twice, and was like, no this is not acceptable treatment. I'd walk in she'd ask me if I was feeling addicted to my medicine, no, ok, write a refill and send me away. She wouldn't ask about my mood, or how I felt about the medicine or anything, and well it really isn't acceptable in my opinion, even though this is apparently how most psychiatrists operate. When I switched to a different one he was happy to take me off of the ssri's and try me on something different, and that did work quite well for a while.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenith View Post
    It sounds like you know a bunch of people that know exactly how not to talk to someone with depression and anxiety, it normally makes me feel worse when people talk to me like that.
    I doooo. I didn't know I did, though, until I actually started seeing a therapist who more or less told me that those kinds of sentiments were pretty damaging because of course the "just get over it" attitude is unreasonable. But it took me until I was so low that I decided I either needed to seek help, or kill myself (because continuing to exist like I was would have been unbearable) to even seek the therapy that let me know that everyone in my life had been wrongheaded about the whole thing. (And I was actually kind of annoyed that I had a dog to take care of because it meant I had to pursue the option that I'd been convinced was For The Weak.)

It's hard to be afflicted by something that is so invisible and so easy to dismiss as "in your head." I'm sorry you've lost friends over it, that's awful. :C I guess they weren't Real Friends if that's what made them take off, but it's no less sucky.

My boss' kid has also had to deal with anxiety and depression, so when I came to my boss and said, "I'msosorryIhaven'tgotmystuffdone I've been having breakdowns all day sorrysorrrysorry I'll work over the weekend." She was understanding and talked to me about it, and didn't make me work over. I was terrified I was going to be told to "buck up, buttercup, or GTFO" or just let go, but I wasn't.

As far as psychiatry goes, I think it may be dependent on the doctor?
    I'm sure it does depend on the doctor. Hell, even therapists are hit or miss. The first one I went to wasn't bad, but I felt really pressured to just Be Better. This guy? If I'm doing great one week and he's happy for me, but I come in next week and I've just backslid straight into hating myself and wanting to die, I feel totally comfortable telling him about it.

The psychiatrist was very much in-and-out, here's your script! But I was up front about already seeking therapy, I don't know if that I had anything to do with it. I really was just there seeking medical assistance, because talking it out hasn't been sufficient.

I feel like I probably do need to find a different psychiatrist, but auughh they are so expensive and I am so goddamn broke. ($225 for a first patient visit?! Jesus.) And my insurance only covers psychiatric stuff after I've hit a $7500 deductible, so they basically don't cover it. I seem to be doing okay on the tegretol, and my bloodwork is okay (though it's only been a couple of weeks) so I guess I'll ride it out until it turns out I need to be on a different medicine? Eghh.

Mental health is really fucking expensive and that bothers me. You know what else is expensive? Funerals. Aughhh.
    Last edited by Ruggy; 04-04-2014 at 11:27 AM.

It really sucks that your insurance doesn't cover it at all till after the deductible, I noticed when I was shopping around that a lot of insurance companies don't cover mental health at all (again the invisible illness strikes). If it helps any, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas seemed to cover mental health care on all its plans when I was looking. (well not all mental health, some stuff is up to X% after deductible, but office visits and stuff are just a co-pay of variable amount depending on the plan). They aren't open for enrollment currently, but I know they will be again later this year.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    Insurance coverage in general is just really depressing. I think it'd be hoopy if this shit was affordable without the need for insurance, but, that's a whole different barrel of contentious political land-mines.

I really wonder why it's not covered. But then, I did make note in my plan that hospitalizations are only covered if it's not due to purposeful injury on your part, so I guess they're just denying any stake in it. They lose no money if you try to kill yourself, and nothing more than your monthly fee if you succeed.

Hard to do much to build a sense of purpose and being worthwhile when you have to scrape together enough money just to pay to see a guy who'll give you pills that help you not collapse, shaking and in tears, while you're trying to get work done; all because you thought about the concept of the heat death of the universe or suddenly can't stop thinking about how you're awful and everyone who loves you has made a terrible mistake and you just need to die or something.

Makes it difficult to not feel like a pretty pointless human being, I guess.
    Last edited by Ruggy; 04-04-2014 at 01:18 PM.

Weasyl
    Kelly
    I can't exactly say that I have a professionally diagnosed mental health issue like paranoia or schizophrenia, but I just feel like I have a bunch of things wrong with my brain right now. While I know people may have other opinions on this I just can't shake the feeling of bad thoughts within my head of wanting to harm other people and just do bad, and as a result I know it could send me to the depthps of Hell.

On the other hand at the same tme I feel like I have depression and or that I am bipolar. For the depression I'm not sure if these symptoms are symptoms of it but a lot of the time I feel like I don't want to do anything, I feel like I cannot ever function properly and be as cheery as others, for the last one I keep on feeling like I want to hurt myself and be over with the world. With the bipolar things I just feel like I'm on an emotional rollercoaster, especially with family problems. I know people who are still going through puberty aren't to balanced with hormones but it doesn't feel like it is that.

Thoughts of doing bad things or feeling bad are called intrusive thoughts, everyone has them. Yeah one can have them too much (my internal monologue is super abusive for example), but it's not strange or wrong to have them.

You should probably get yourself properly diagnosed or if you can't talk to your school councilor at least, rather than self diagnosing a bunch of things that you may or may not have.

And could you please stop posting in all red with a serifed font? It's extremely difficult to read.

Weasyl
    Kelly
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenith View Post
    Thoughts of doing bad things or feeling bad are called intrusive thoughts, everyone has them. Yeah one can have them too much (my internal monologue is super abusive for example), but it's not strange or wrong to have them.

You should probably get yourself properly diagnosed or if you can't talk to your school councilor at least, rather than self diagnosing a bunch of things that you may or may not have.

And could you please stop posting in all red with a serifed font? It's extremely difficult to read.
    I sort of assumed people had those kinds of thoughts sometimes but it feels like I have them more than I should. At the same time though it's good that it isn't wrong or strange to have them.

I would do that but it's sort of difficult for me to admit my issues to my parents because they were jump on me about everything and it annoys me. I know parents or any other elders you have are supposed to protect you and be there for you when stuff is bad but I just feel like I can't go to my family and talk about it to them so I can get into counseling or to a doctor.

I hope I don't sound rude but I'm just doing the kind of font and color I like, but I do sometimes admit the color is blinding, but I will
    stick to my font type and size.

You don't need to go through your parents to talk to a school councilor. All you need to do is walk to your councilors office and ask to talk to them. Explain to them your situation, including how uncomfortable you are dealing with your parents on the subject, the councilors will work to help you come to a solution.