Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Mental Health?

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #11
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    I've got a long history, some of it's pretty private but I'll share here.

I was diagnosed in 7th grade with an eating disorder (not quite anorexia) and an anxiety disorder. I saw a therapist whose "therapy techniques" left me very scarred and I refused to see another one. I tried Paxil, Lexapro, Zoloft, and Xanax but none of them did a thing. I had a lot of problems socializing, too. In 9th grade my anxiety and depression became very severe but the only medicine I could get would be medicine from a psychiatrist, but because of my earlier therapist I refused any help or medication.

Stuff happened. And then I got over my fear of therapy and psychiatrists and all that. I've been on the same medication for 7 years now with a few pills on and off. I'm also currently in therapy and while I have no emotional/mental instability I still see her because she does wonders for my stress and feelings of being overwhelmed and sometimes really upset and lonely.

I do sometimes get bothered when people make fun of therapists and people that see therapists. Therapy is a really great resource if you find a therapist who works well with you- my current therapist is the 4th one I've seen and we get along really well.

So to anyone reading this, never be ashamed or afraid to seek help. Don't worry about other people, you need to take care of you before anyone else. To overcome disorders and depression can be a long, winding road, but I promise that if you seek the help you need you will be able to overcome obstacles like I have and many other people have, including some people in this thread as I read.

And lastly, if anyone reading this ever needs someone to talk to, my inbox is open and I will gladly chat with anyone who'd like to.

Weasyl
    willy
    I used to have really bad depression and anxiety in middle school. But I think both have gotten better over the years.

There was a point where I even considered taking anti-depressants but eventually decided against doing for a few reasons. The main one being that I was really young at the time this came about. So already it wasn't advised I take them and then after awhile I just realized I probably didn't need them.

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    I do sometimes get bothered when people make fun of therapists and people that see therapists. Therapy is a really great resource if you find a therapist who works well with you- my current therapist is the 4th one I've seen and we get along really well.

So to anyone reading this, never be ashamed or afraid to seek help. Don't worry about other people, you need to take care of you before anyone else. To overcome disorders and depression can be a long, winding road, but I promise that if you seek the help you need you will be able to overcome obstacles like I have and many other people have, including some people in this thread as I read.
    Related: If you start seeking help, and maybe some weeks you don't feel as shitty as other weeks, this does not mean it is time to stop going. It's really easy to try to talk yourself out of continuing therapy because you start to wonder if you're blowing your problems out of proportion.

At least, that's something I struggle with. And maybe other people do too.
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post

And lastly, if anyone reading this ever needs someone to talk to, my inbox is open and I will gladly chat with anyone who'd like to.
    Thank you for reiterating this. There are a lot of people who pan therapy, and rightly so in some cases; quite a few therapists do not belong in that position, but finding one that fits with you can be a lifesaver. I had one turn me around when I was younger, stopped me cold from going down a tougher path. She was a little crazy, but she got her point across and I really mellowed out. On some forums these kinds of threads forget to really hit home that it's good to talk to others, both in personal and professional ways.

So, likewise to my inbox being open. I sure as hell have my own problems, but things are different when it comes to being an ear for someone else.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    I was diagnosed with assburger when I was 10 and I've only had bad experiences with therapists and specialized educationalists and whatnot, so now I'm insane :3

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Diagnosed with PTSD, depression, and social anxiety disorder.

The first one has been hard for me to deal with, but most people are generally supportive of those with PTSD so that has been easy going. The second one is very hard to deal with, and most people just have the stupidest, most ignorant "advice" out there for depression. I've been told by family members to "just get out there!" and "just look on the bright side!" when I was at rock-bottom suicidal depression. My dad is horrible with depression and SAnD, he's made it hard for me to cope for a long time.

Social Anxiety Disorder is fucking horrible. It makes it nearly impossible to actually do anything in public. It was so bad a few years ago that I was almost crying when I had to walk into a fucking Burger King to ask for zesty sauce after they had forgot it in our drive-thru order. I had to send my sister in.

My dad tries to be supportive in his ignorant dad ways, and it makes it worse. The only reason why I am able to call up any places to order pizza or even walk into a fast-food joint and order food is because I've worked through my issues at my own pace. My dad claims that "I've had social anxiety too! Trust me! I used to get all sweaty and shake when I had to do speeches in front of my class in highschool!" but he doesn't understand it at all. Social Anxiety Disorder is not limited to speeches in front of your classroom, it's having panic attacks when having to make a doctor's appointment, it's putting off all appointments and social contact forever because you just can't stand interacting because it gives you panic attacks.

It took me 6 years to see a doctor about getting prescribed medication, and I now take Xanax for my SAnD and partially my PTSD. I take nothing for my depression.

Weasyl
    Vae
    I'm just going to mention this in here, because it's about mental issues.

I'm scared shitless of xanax.
    Like, it completely fucked up my mother. She had a seizure from withdrawal because of it. I've had more than a few close calls with her almost running off the road or hitting a car because she was falling asleep at the wheel.

So I don't think I could take it, even if a doctor sat down and told me it would solve all my problems like magic.
    I just couldn't.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    I'm just going to mention this in here, because it's about mental issues.

I'm scared shitless of xanax.
    Like, it completely fucked up my mother. She had a seizure from withdrawal because of it. I've had more than a few close calls with her almost running off the road or hitting a car because she was falling asleep at the wheel.

So I don't think I could take it, even if a doctor sat down and told me it would solve all my problems like magic.
    I just couldn't.
    I'm extremely careful with my Xanax. I never take it unless I feel a panic attack coming on, for this exact reason.
    It's a highly dangerous and addictive drug.
    Unless you do the research beforehand and do not have addiction running in your family, do not jump onto Xanax. Look into alternatives first.

I was diagnosed with bi-polar and depression when I was a teenager by 2 separate doctors. I tried medication for about 2 years and it succeeded in making me less depressed but more angry and had some pretty bad side effects, but I kept with it trying different combinations and adjustments. I eventually started taking Paxil and that I had a terrible reaction to, so much so I ended up dumping all my psychotropic medication and promptly telling my doctor I will not be scheduling any more appointments. I also had a therapist I was seeing during this period as well who I also told was no longer necessary. Since then I've developed panic attacks and my anxiety has waxed and waned. However I've come to realize my anxiety and depression and stuff are all rooted in reality and caused by completely rational things. If I'm on the verge of being broke, I have anxiety. If I'm lonely living by myself, I'm depressed. It's all relative.

If and when I do want a break from reality I end up self medicating with ample amounts of alcohol or other drugs and just chilling for a while. Because if I'm going to be on medication designed to make me feel better it might as well get the job done right, all at once, and without all the nasty side effects. Needless to say I'm a firm supporter of pulling one's self up by their bootstraps. There are some times I could use things like lorazepam to help me take care of business, but it's hardly necessary. I try not to let my mental issues interfere with my life. I'm also extremely distrusting of the psychiatric industry and would trust a street peddler before a shrink.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    DivinePrince
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder severe enough to discuss getting Disability Benefits to help me along with independence.

I am a former recluse because of this disorder. I am currently trying to figure out how things in real life work. Like banks.

But eh. Other than that and a few leanings into OCD, ADHD and Chronic Insomnia ( my psychiatrist has said I have tendencies in these directions) I'm okay. I'm a really happy, energetic person. And I do get down, but I bounce right back up again.
    Last edited by DivinePrince; 02-02-2014 at 04:28 AM.
    Just an elusive non-anthro artist passing through.