Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Mental Health?

Because there are a lot of people out there who think that, if you're open about a mental disorder, that you're also faking it and / or running around trying to get attention from it.
    Because let's face it, a lotta people are. It's a convenient inconvenience at times and lots of people like to shirk responsibilities, so hey, they just couldn't make it that time because they were having an "episode", what do ya know.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    Infestissumam
    stepping on the crowtche owf your americain presidaint
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissfulOblivion View Post
    Yes and no? Yes, everyone has some psychological issue, that's just the way life is; but not everyone has a diagnosable neurochemical imbalance which is kind of what mental illness is. With some exceptions. Like PTSD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamedog View Post
    If "normal" means someone without mental health issues, how does one qualify for being abnormal? Do the people who self-diagnose themselves with all sorts of yooneek, speshul snowflake disorders count? Or are they normal because they don't actually have those disorders?
    Do you have to be diagnosed by a professional to be considered abnormal? If that is the case, we abnormal people are probably in the minority.
    It was a sarcastic jab at how everyone ever seems to get diagnosed with some form of nuerochemical imbalance when seeing a psychiatric doctor person, not a serious judgement.

Weasyl
    Amaranth
    I think ADHD is considered a mental disorder, in which case, yes, I have been diagnosed with that. I have had it at least since I was about 11, and took medication for it (concerta) for 2-3 years, and then my parents decided to take me off of it because it's "addictive" and because my cousin grew out of it, so therefore I shouldn't need it anymore. (They claim I was the one whom decided to go off of it, however I think that I went with their notions and not with my best interests.)

It was not until my fiancee was diagnosed and started taking medication (adderal) that I started thinking about it again and realized that I had never actually grown out of it at all. I realized that if I had continued on concerta, I would likely have done SO much better in school, and likely I would have done better in my beginning years of digital art. I've drawn and done art all my life, but few of those years I have been able to be treated for my ADHD. I finally feel normal, being able to take medication for my mental condition, and it feels great being able to just be able to focus a bit for once. You still obviously need discipline, if you don't aim your focus at the right thing/s, you'll just end up focusing on what you want to focus on, like video games or drawing instead of other important things that you really should focus on.

Other than ADHD, I haven't really been officially diagnosed, but I suspect I also have anxiety and depression. My fiancee also has anxiety and depression, and we are thinking bipolar as well (he has been seeing a therapist, and obviously his doctor too, to figure things out), so I am familiar with the symptoms and how it effects people. I try not to self diagnose, but evidence would lead me to believe that anxiety and depression are likely to be ailing me. It is difficult to deal with, at times, but I seem to have some sort of super power to just hang in there no matter what... it's like that move in Pokemon where you can use the most powerful move on an opponent and it will still have 1 hp left. I am often "left at 1hp" and then have to recover, but still it is rough being knocked down to that level so much.

I try to keep positive and optimistic, but it does become difficult / taxing. I am so glad I have art as an outlet. I find myself wanting more than anything to draw when I'm out and stressed (like at work) or doing something generally stressful. It's like an escape to another world!

Weasyl
    Bliss.in.Oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by Infestissumam View Post
    It was a sarcastic jab at how everyone ever seems to get diagnosed with some form of nuerochemical imbalance when seeing a psychiatric doctor person, not a serious judgement.
    o h h
    jfc I'm doing really bad with understanding people right now for some reason ; o ; sorry! But yeah. Idunno.
    I've never actually had any bad experience with psychiatric doctors; my own psychiatrist actually warned me about going on meds and was really apprehensive about doing it :I So I've never had any bad experiences with psychiatry and the like. It sucks to hear about how most of the field operates ;m; It can be life saving if done right ; o ;

Weasyl
    Sonata
    Oh yes I will jump in this thread. I have anxiety and it's closely linked with my asthma. I also have depression, not clinical, but borderline. I also believe I have ADD however I haven't gotten diagnosed for that yet, so it's just a guess for now. I am pretty moody and I also think I am an empath, according to the research I have made.
    That is all for now. And while I don't have anything else, I have however been a witness to many disorders in others. Kinda funny, really, never thought I would get used to these things but somehow I do now.

Weasyl
    Blau
    I have borderline personality disorder, or something close to it v_v Also struggle with things like addiction/self harm, but I guess that's also a part of the bpd?

Weasyl
    aetius
    ENTJ personality and very stable. Always doing my best to stay neutral and calm when shit breaks down.

Weasyl
    spits
    borderline, which i have mostly under control without medication (was on it for a long time), and anorexia, still recovering. i hit my lowest point Fall of 2012, where you could see most of my ribs, but i've cleaned up and gone vegan and that's helped me be a little more okay with eating. working on overcoming severe social phobia and depression, one step at a time! also working on getting control of my skin-picking disorder, but that's giving me a bit of trouble as i tend to pick the most when i'm anxious.

Weasyl
    IcyJellyfish
    I've been diagnosed with depression since I was about 12 or 13.
    More recently, the doctor said I most likely have bipolar depression. Meaning I have high points for no reason and then feel extremely sad for no real reason.
    I have social anxiety and I have a hard time leaving the house to go out in public.
    I was diagnosed with schoolphobia and dropped out of highschool in the middle of tenth grade.
    I also have short-term memory loss. It sucks so bad. I forgot lots of things instantly and have a hard time remembering things.

I'm currently on one medication (though I don't know the name right now, I forgot).
    It works good and it helps.
    Other things that help are drawing and talking with my girlfriend.

On a positive note, I am also currently doing an online grooming program to acquire a lifetime certification as a professional pet groomer. I just started a few days ago, so I'm on my way.

I'm also available to talk to if anyone feels they need someone to talk to.
    I've been dealing with depression almost half my life, as I am 20 years old now.

Whoa, I'm jumping on board pretty late here, but I'll bite.

I was diagnosed with depression in middle school - 11 or 12 - but it was something never really looked at. But in high school, I was re-evaluated and diagnosed with severe clinical depression, to the point where I had to be medicated heavily. All the women in my family have it, and my biological father had manic depression.
    To top it off, I had some pretty...unfavorable events in my childhood. I was doomed.

Well, the medication dosages were so high that I overdosed. Now, my memory's shot, so I can't remember things very well, not even what events happened in the last year or two (unless said events were pretty big, then I can recall).
    I also have panic attacks often.

I can't take medications from that company anymore, due to them closing my charts. They were royal butt-holes. I can't get a new therapist because of my insurance. pfftpfft
    I'm figuring things out myself, I suppose.