Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Mental Health?

i have bipolar II disorder (meaning i have hypomanias instead of full manias), which is rapid-cycling. i also suffer from anxiety disorder NOS, and PTSD. Life is tough! i had a great therapist for a long time, and a really good psych, but i just moved and am having a hard time finding new ones. Right now i'm on Lamotrigine (Lamictal), Abilify, Trazodone, and Escitalopram (Lexapro). It's working really well
    "The essence of all art is to have pleasure in giving pleasure." -Dale Carnegie

Weasyl
    TheLexicon
    To everyone that says that there is nothing stopping you from getting help, that's not exactly true. I know I can't, because I have a family who's autistic son is likely their greatest shame, and has tried to force me to be "normal" throughout my childhood, didn't even tell me I was diagnosed with AS until years after the fact, and would obstinately refuse to believe there is anything wrong with me now that I'm "fixed".

Which basically means I have to figure out where to find a psychiatrist or two, find someone willing to keep a secret and offer me a ride, because I live too far away from such a place and I have no desire or intention to drive so long as I live, and take any prescribed meds without my family discovering anything, assuming that I would take anything prescribed to me.

You can probably tell I'm fairly vexed about my current situation. I can't trust anyone IRL with such personal matters, not even the people who can point me in the right direction, because then my ruse is ended because I live in a puny community. I can hardly speak to my friends, the few people I feel I can partially trust, in real life, and the one idea I have on getting help has proven to be untrustworthy. And that's assuming there is a single living soul that would want to help me. And then there's understanding how all this appointment stuff works here, because I grew up in so isolated an environment I don't understand anything even the dumbest person could explain to me. But I guess it's really my own fault for being so deplorable, so ignorant, so anxious a person that I can't do anything to help myself or anyone.

Sorry for the rant. I think about this a lot, and I don't get to vent often, if at all. My overall point is that there is always something trying to stop you from helping yourself or getting something you need. Always.

I'm pretty sure every fuzzball on here has been diagnosed with something at one point or another, and thusfar I think I'm the only one not currently taking psychotropics. The question is, is this an accurate sample of the overall population, does the fandom provide a sympathetic outlet for the mentally stressed where it is perceived as higher, or does the fandom naturally attract people with mental diagnoses?

Also, I'm disappointed this wasn't posted yet.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    I'm pretty sure every fuzzball on here has been diagnosed with something at one point or another, and thusfar I think I'm the only one not currently taking psychotropics. The question is, is this an accurate sample of the overall population, does the fandom provide a sympathetic outlet for the mentally stressed where it is perceived as higher, or does the fandom naturally attract people with mental diagnoses?[/URL]
    I don't wish to discuss my issues too publicly on here, but no I do not take medication and I haven't since my mid-teens when I told everyone I could do it without meds. The side effects were terrible and took me years to recover from, but I ended up doing great in a good university without ever taking a single drug, legal or illegal (unless you count alcohol, though only for social stuff).

I'd lean toward the middle of the options. There's not any real way to accurately find out the first or third options (the best you'll probably get are self-reporting surveys). We could more accurately say, though, that on average it at least seems furries are more willing to discuss the less desirable sides of themselves more openly than in other facets of their lives. I'm even a little surprised by how open people in this thread have been, and I've been in and out of the fandom for seven years now.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    I think it's the latter. Many of us have anxiety and issues talking with people or socializing. It's much easier for us to socialize online.

Weasyl
    Tiido
    I am diagnosed with depression but I am not letting it bother myself a single bit. As long as it keeps me out the army I'm fine with that diagnosis... The meds I am supposed to take suck the life out of me, so they remain unused.

Weasyl
    Pine
    I was diagnosed with depression when I was in middle school, and had poor anger management skills throughout high school. The depression started to go away and I eventually got off the meds, and after therapy and AM classes I've learned to control my anger 90% of the time.

Weasyl
    wwretched
    I'm pretty sure every fuzzball on here has been diagnosed with something at one point or another, and thusfar I think I'm the only one not currently taking psychotropics. The question is, is this an accurate sample of the overall population, does the fandom provide a sympathetic outlet for the mentally stressed where it is perceived as higher, or does the fandom naturally attract people with mental diagnoses?

I'd have to say that fandoms provide an outlet for the mentally stressed. I know it's true in my case, and I know it's true in the cases of others. In reality, it's about 1 in 5 that are diagnosed with a mental illness, but on here and other sites it appears to be every 4 in 5. Birds of a feather flock together I suppose, and I don't have any statistics or anything but I believe that the mentally ill are more likely to be creative than the rest of population simply because there's a need for an outlet. Of course, I could be wrong but that seems to be the general consensus??
    dont even test me i swear to god im going to eat everything in this fucking state

Weasyl
    Dreaming

Common observation in many online communities. You'll find a high concentration of people struggling with [insert variety of mental health struggles], the 'net is an easier environment for many people

Birds of a feather flock together I suppose, and I don't have any statistics or anything but I believe that the mentally ill are more likely to be creative than the rest of population simply because there's a need for an outlet. Of course, I could be wrong but that seems to be the general consensus??
    I guess. Creativity can increase as a result but it can also stagnate and drop

Weasyl
    Ratte
    Quote Originally Posted by Pine View Post
    I was diagnosed with depression when I was in middle school, and had poor anger management skills throughout high school. The depression started to go away and I eventually got off the meds, and after therapy and AM classes I've learned to control my anger 90% of the time.
    I gotta say I find that pretty surprising since you've always seemed to be pretty laid back from my perspective.

I can sorta tack on anger management/EBD to mine but that was the result of a lot of shit going on with school, family, and other things, and not something innate. That was a bad time.