Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Mental Health?

Weasyl
    Kelly
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenith View Post
    You don't need to go through your parents to talk to a school councilor. All you need to do is walk to your councilors office and ask to talk to them. Explain to them your situation, including how uncomfortable you are dealing with your parents on the subject, the councilors will work to help you come to a solution.
    No, no I can't talk to a school counselor, I should've said that previoussly. I take online schooling so that's not an option I'm afraid. Besides that I don't really see any other solution. I know I could just man up and tell them but I hate to be judged about things like that, and plus I'd feel horrible after.

I was initially diagnosed in 2008 as having Autism with Psychotic features but a few years later it was revised to just schizophrenia, and have been taking Risperidal since then. Which has helped me immensely but like others have with the dosages I need to change it every so often so it deals with symptoms but doesn't overmedicate me to having lethargy/dehydration but that does feel better than being crippled by paranoia and fear. I've also taken fluoxetine last year for depression which also helped (A few friends have had mixed results; but if fluoxetine didn't help then citalopram seems to helped them more.) I've seen two psychologists but they're split on whether I 'still' have autism or if it was a misdiagnosis and if I have actually have NPD as it's difficult to pick out either when psychosis is usually the predominant reason for coming to a hospital.

Edit: Wish I could help Fluffymuffins but you could maybe try to indirectly talk about mental health issues to work out their attitude prior to opening up, if anything it'd at least make them more prepared for when you do open up.

Weasyl
    Kelly
    I'm sorry to hear that, but at least it was just revised to schizophrenia, but I hope it's not hard for you to deal with. I'm glad that the meicine your taking helps you, and also that it wouldn't dehydrate you or make you lethargic like you stated. Fear and paranoia aren't good things to have, well from what I hear.

Your words have helped me even though your not a doctor or therapist. And I'll try to one of these days, maybe more so when my aunt leaves after staying here a week. But thanks for your words.

Last edited by Kringg; 04-16-2014 at 05:52 PM.

Weasyl
    crazy-luna
    I was diagnosed last year with depression, at the time I was put on medication and was seeing a therapist. After several months I had learned no real way of dealing with it, but my symptoms had become less severe so I was taken off medication. Sometime in September of last year I had a relapse and didn't tell anyone for months till sometime last month. I have been put on medications again and have been given a copping method, a gratitude journal. It has helped me a bit. I have been looking for ways of having long term copping methods to go along with my medication. One of my other problems is anxiety, I become claustrophobic in small crowed spaces and have had brake downs over things that could kill me that is vary unlikely to kill me.
    Sleep, tea, art + insanity

I am dyslexic and I am sorry if I ever miss spell something

Formerly social anxiety from a young age and depression.

Best advice I can give is take care of your mind and body - they are intrinsically linked. It's very difficult, if not impossible, for some people to take care of one if the other isn't healthy. You'd be amazed what clean eating can do for you in terms of mental clarity, motivation and determination.

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    This thread honestly makes me feel like people use mental disorders as an excuse to not deal with their problems.

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    Everyone has OCD if they like neat stuffs. They have ADHD if they are bored. Also if they do anything wrong, they have autism.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshabi View Post
    This thread honestly makes me feel like people use mental disorders as an excuse to not deal with their problems.
    What makes you feel like that? Seems like most people in this thread are trading methods they have learned to help them cope with whatever mental illness they have.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitzbach View Post
    Everyone has OCD if they like neat stuffs. They have ADHD if they are bored. Also if they do anything wrong, they have autism.
    While I agree that people tend to diagnose themselves with various illnesses for whatever reason (drama, attention, fad, misinformation, etc) and practitioners are often hasty to diagnose such things for whatever reason, people with these problems do exist. If you write everyone off then you miss the ones that really do need help.