Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Mental Health?

Weasyl
    wwretched

Mental Health?

Anyone else here have any mental health problems?

I've been diagnosed with bipolar I disorder and am a likely candidate for bipolar-type schizoaffective. I've been diagnosed for about five or so months, but I've been diagnosed with depression and anxiety before that. I'm currently on Latuda and Paxil and they're working wonderfully, no complains except they make it extremely difficult to lose weight. >n<

I've also suffered from anorexia, bulimia, and binge eating disorder in the past (I went from one extreme to avoid the other, and back around again.) I'm currently looking into another therapist who focuses specifically on eating disorders so I can get over my fear of relapsing into any one of them.

Anyone else have any disorders? How do you deal with them? What medications are you on, if any? Share your stories!
    dont even test me i swear to god im going to eat everything in this fucking state

Weasyl
    TheLexicon
    For all I know I could be psychotic. I know something's wrong, as I've relapsed into having anxiety problems and I've established a symbiotic depression, but I have no method of figuring out what or how to get any help I might need.

Since the OP has been professionally diagnosed with it, I might as well ask what kind of symptoms there are to having bipolar disorder, seeing as I'm likely to have that but I have no way of verifying it. I know there is a book of all these mental disorders and they have a handy list of symptoms and prerequisites before one can actually be professional diagnosed with a certain mental disorder, but I have no idea what it's called or where to look it up on the Internet.
    Last edited by TheLexicon; 02-01-2014 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexicon View Post
    I know there is a book of all these mental disorders and they have a handy list of symptoms and prerequisites before one can actually be professional diagnosed with a certain mental disorder, but I have no idea what it's called or where to look it up on the Internet.
    Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, or DSM for short. Take a look through it, but there are far too many cases of incorrect self-diagnoses out there. As you'll probably hear a million times, find good professional help, not just any. Takes a bit of research (you may have to step up and ask people around you), but it's worth it in the end if you can dig up the motivation.

Weasyl
    Stush
    I've had lots of problems with anxiety and depression for the last few years, i've been on Lovan for nearly a year now, but I dunno if it's really working so well, so i'm gonna go and see if I an ask my doctor to prescribe me something else to see if that helps.

Just remember, everyone. When you're feeling horrible about all this stuff, just remember, it's not your fault. You're not a bad person. That's just your brain being a jerk and not knowing how to deal with its own damn chemicals.

Also, you get lots of hugs. <3 *Huuug*

Weasyl
    Dreaming
    Nothing diagnosed, but I've had everything between schizophrenia and bipolar suggested to me... but yeah, nothing diagnosed here, which is apparently a blessing in disguise (ain't seeing the blessing personally)

Like, I struggled with a "situation" throughout and after college and I never sought any help for it, and now it's really biting me in the ass =P I went through a terrible hypochondriac/OCD stage too, there was other evidence that pointed toward an antisocial issue but it's all ancient history now

I've got some issues with memory, both long and short term. There's pretty much nothing I can remember about my life before college. There's a few hazy memories, but I've been told that the stuff in those memories never actually happened

-
    Last edited by Dreaming; 05-02-2014 at 05:12 PM. Reason: kinda personal actually, please don't post that

I always have the urge to seek out other people online who are going through the same thing I am, but every time I feel up to trying I just seem to get too nervous. It can be hard to reach out.

I've struggled with Bipolar I since my early teens. Diagnosed at 15, then again at 21 (I'm 22 now, 23 in March). I was also diagnosed with agoraphobia and panic disorder at 21. I'm currently on pretty heavy doses of Prozac, Seroquel, and Klonopin.

Bipolar runs in my family, and it honestly almost ruined my life. My mother and grandmother were unmedicated for the majority of my childhood, and it was tough for a while. Then it was my turn to take up the family heirloom, and things were pretty awful for a lot of years. I lost a lot of jobs, I failed out of school, I ruined a whole lot of relationships, I came very close to death..

I only say any of this because I can not believe how amazing it is to finally be medicated. I feel happier and more normal than I ever even believed was possible. My mom still struggles to take her meds, but I can't imagine going back to the way things were. I'm finally human. (:

All I can say is, if you suspect something might be wrong, go see someone! Like right now. Even if you just mention it to your GP, he'll be able to recommend something.

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    I've struggled with anxiety since I was a kid, and depression since my teens. I thought it was normal to be awake until 4 in the morning because you heard a loud noise outside and were convinced it was the Apocalypse.

It took me a long time to seek any help for it, because I was convinced that I should just be able to pull myself up by my bootstraps, surely everyone feels sad all the time. Surely I only feel like a worthless, unlovable wretch who would only be doing everyone a favor by killing herself, because it's only a natural consequence of being someone utterly devoid of redeeming characteristics.

It's still kind of ruining my life. I still think about killing myself. I still can't eat anything without thinking about how fat, horrible, and worthless I am until I'm too tired to keep going. Sometimes I don't want to leave the house because I feel like people will be disgusted at the sight of me. I have panic attacks, sometimes for no reason, or sometimes about shit that makes no sense to panic about like the heat death of the universe. I will sometimes be so wracked with self-loathing and terror that the only thing I can do to stop thinking about driving off a bridge is hitting myself until I bruise, drinking, or vaping (not being specific on what, but it's probably not hard to guess.)

I eventually decided to seek therapy when the most compelling reason I could come up with to not commit suicide is that nobody would be as dedicated to taking care of my dog's weird health problems as I would. I still have trouble believing my family or friends aren't just tolerating me out of politeness. I fail to see anything about myself that inspires attachment.
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

Weasyl
    Ley
    I try not to think about it too much, but I've been diagnosed Bipolar by three doctors, severe PTSD by two, with a healthy dose of anxiety, adhd and depression.

I generally don't think about it a lot. I just take prozac to not really think about it as far as anxiety goes. I go unmedicated for everything else.

I use my bipolar a lot as fodder for my art.

Weasyl
    MEEHOO
    Well ive always had extreme social anxiety
    It's difficult for me to talk to people . I want to but if afraid I'll say the wrong thing and offend someone
    When I do talk I talk very quickly or quietly which annoys people

I've also been really depressed recently 2013 was honestly the worst year of my life
    And I've still not recovered I have good and bad days

Apparently talking helps but my friends say talk to my mum and my mum either says "that's life"or "go see a doctor" so who the f do I talk to ?
    Last edited by MEEHOO; 02-07-2014 at 10:33 PM.

Weasyl
    Vae
    I've been diagnosed with bipolar disorder for about 9 or 10 years, and borderline personality disorder for about 4 or 5.
    I have rapid cycling and mixed states. I'm pretty sure I also have psychotic features (even though I've always been scared to talk to a psych about that) because I sometimes start hallucinating and falling under delusions and completely lose all sense of myself when shit gets bad.

I was on antidepressants and a mood stabilizer, but the scripts ran out, and I haven't had transportation to go back and set up more appointments. I need to call them, and see if they can situate my visits somewhere closer, so I can actually get to them (as I don't have a vehicle), but that's just a matter of waiting until I can man up and actually make that phone call.
    Because making important "official" phone calls like that scares the everloving shit out of me.

Right now, I'm regulating it mostly through a matter of willpower. Removing myself from situations and emotional attachments that will cause me to get overwhelmed. Looking at things coldly and analytically.
    Also, with the occasional cigarette.

I was also anorexic late into high school, when I had a sudden fuckhueg bout of depression and just couldn't stomach food any more.
    I ate maybe one small portion of food once or twice in a month, and I lost about 75 lbs in the course of half a year.
    I looked damn good. I actually kind of wish I could go back to that, but I don't want my hair to fall out again.

I think my parents fighting so much in my childhood also gave me some issues with PTSD.
    It's calmed down a lot, but even listening to people get into really yelly, screamy arguments used make my ears start ringing and my vision start swirling and blacking out early into my 20s.
    Last edited by Vae; 02-01-2014 at 10:59 PM.
    Resident Koopa Trash