Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Mental Health?

Weasyl
    therainbowtroll
    I have been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety disorder with a hint of OCD and Major Depression. Sometimes I find it very difficult to deal with especially with the recent passing of my puppy. He was more or less a therapy dog.

I have had many panic attacks in my day and visited the hospital more then once due to mental health issues. Sometimes it feels as if the emotions in your body are causing you real physical pain and that scares the shit outta me. I am currently on the highest dose of my meds and its been fine more or less.

The funny thing is I also work with mental health lol. I am currently studying it in school and work on a crisis hot line. Its really interesting talking with clients about the same meds I take lol. But in all honestly I find it fananating the whole mental health thing. Its something I naturally understand and I like working with people and helping them.

I want to work with my mental health problems to help others with theirs.

Weasyl
    StripedPan
    Though I have yet to be "professionally" diagnosed (will be on the 9th of this month by a psychiatrist), I have symptoms of bipolar disorder and/or cyclothymia, major depression, and more than likely anxiety piled on top of that. I've had major anxiety attack where I start crying for no reason, I can't breathe, and I feel like I need to hide away.

An attack like this happened once when I was being driven to a class by my mother, and she was yelling at me because I forgot something and wanted to turn around after she offered to turn around, though she didn't want to. She kept going, and after 10 minutes of sitting in the car crying I finally managed to go inside. Instead of going to my class though I had to go to the bathroom next to my classroom so that my crying wouldn't disturb the class. Apparently my teacher saw me do so, because after class had ended and I went back out to the car, after a minute or two my teacher came outside because I guess he saw me crying when my mom was talking to me outside. She asked him how I was during class and I internally started to freak out, but my teacher said that I was great and that I was a joy to have in class. That was the point my mom offered me to him to keep instead of her, and after that we shortly left. It was horrible, but the teacher was amazing. Sadly I no longer have him as a teacher though.

Might post again when I get officially diagnosed this month to recap, but we'll see.

Weasyl
    MakePupsNotWar
    I'm lucky enough to have no real mental health problems. Sometimes it seems like I'm the only one of my friends who doesn't, especially among the furs. They tried to peg me with ADD/ADHD but after a battery of tests they couldn't find anything conclusive. They tried to give me some bullshit like I had "ADD tendencies" (read, am a kid who is bored by school) and they put me on concerta, but I just didn't take it or dismantled the pill to get rid of the timed release and took a few for some jollies. After a month I told my parents they didn't work. Some people might like to tell you that I'm an addict, too. Maybe I'm genetically predisposed to addiction, given my dad's side of the family's history of alcoholism, it's plenty likely. I believe it's a matter of will though. Moderation is possible even for those with this predisposition, and I have demonstrated to myself that I am more than able to adjust my consumption based upon my financial situation, responsibilities, and health. I'm not accusing anybody here, but it seems like these days people are easy to peg somebody with a mental disorder, and people are equally willing to accept it because they have shortcomings and they think medication will automatically fix their problem. Nobody wants to take responsibility for their actions, nobody wants to admit that they're just a dick/lazy/immature or whatever. Goodness no, it's ADHD or aspergers or OCD, it's not -my- fault. It's just stupid because not only does it contribute to the victim mentality and the drug abuse problem of this country, it also negatively impacts people who have legitimate mental problems and actually need help. Is anybody else with me on this or am I about to get flamed?
    Yeah? well, y'know...that's just like, your opinion, man.

Like Chess? Play with me! Just drop me a PM whenever you're down. I have a chess.com account, and I can also set up a game with you on lichess (no subscription process or login required) whenever you like.

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #84

Weasyl
    Matt
    Hi.

I'd like to step in and make the point that this topic is for the discussion of the concept and experience of mental disorders. It was made evident in the original post that this discussion is being carried out under the shared assumption that these disorders are real. Having opinions on the quality of the DCM or the practices pharmaceutical industries is not out of order in and of itself, but interjecting in this thread to disregard on the entire mental health community and those treated within it is tantamount to disregarding the experiences of nearly everyone in this thread.

If one wishes to discuss the veracity of various scientific practices, they are free to start their own thread. Evidence along with opinion would be even better. However, if anyone wishes to cast aspersions on psychiatry, psychology, therapy, and the like, this is not the thread to do it in. Here it's not on topic and here it's an insult.

Thanks to everyone for understanding.
    Look at all the fun we're having.

Weasyl
    therainbowtroll
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Hi.

I'd like to step in and make the point that this topic is for the discussion of the concept and experience of mental disorders. It was made evident in the original post that this discussion is being carried out under the shared assumption that these disorders are real. Having opinions on the quality of the DCM or the practices pharmaceutical industries is not out of order in and of itself, but interjecting in this thread to disregard on the entire mental health community and those treated within it is tantamount to disregarding the experiences of nearly everyone in this thread.

If one wishes to discuss the veracity of various scientific practices, they are free to start their own thread. Evidence along with opinion would be even better. However, if anyone wishes to cast aspersions on psychiatry, psychology, therapy, and the like, this is not the thread to do it in. Here it's not on topic and here it's an insult.

Thanks to everyone for understanding.
    Thanks Matt! Thats exactuly it man. cheers.

I find it insulting my years of dealing first hand with borderline malpractice and psychotropic side effects are being discounted for the sake of other people's sensibilities.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

I haven't taken any medicine in a while, mostly for financial reasons though. I was seeing a psychiatrist in tandem with a councilor at college, since it was more affordable to do so through the college. And during that time we tried me on quite a few different medicines (for acute anxiety and major depression).

Unfortunately, I don't really react too well to most medications. I can't take SSRI's at all, and all my doses had to be child sized and sometimes cut in half!

My councilor wants me to look into getting medicated again once I've sorted out my health care related things. I'm much better now than I was back in college. You know I don't feel like passing out asleep the moment a small amount of stress comes into my life, but I still get very down and demotivated in a pretty reliable cycle. I don't really want to go through the trouble of trying to take medicine again to be honest, it's expensive to change a lot, and it's very physically and emotionally taxing on top of that.

I saved up some money and had myself more formally diagnosed (you know where they do a battery of tests on you over the course of several days, rather than just the councilors diagnoses so they can medicate you/send you to a psychiatrist). I still need to have some more biological things checked on like my hormones but they were at least able to check my wiring so to speak as well as various things on the scale.

My anxiety has largely gone away, although I still have depression, and we discovered that I don't learn in a way "that follows any recognizable pattern"

That was actually the most interesting thing I learned from doing that battery of tests, other than that my artistic training invalidated the Rorschach test (and apparently musicians often invalidate auditory tests, so I bet most people on this forum would invalidate the rorschach!)

The way I learn has led up to a lot of dysphoria regarding my own intelligence, because I know I'm pretty smart, but I learn slow, and often get confused easily until I fully understand something, so people often treat me really poorly simply because they think I'm too stupid to notice. That dysphoria and treatment from others caused a lot of my depression, and simply learning what's going on a little better has gone a long way to lessening my bad moods. He also found other weird things, like overtime doing a task I actually get better rather than worse at it.

I also apparently have some attention issues, but not enough to say I have any actual disorders, and am so bad at math that if I were to go back to school they'd be required to give me extra time/help with anything math related.

I wish I hadn't gotten so many question marks from the testing, I got a false possitive for ptsd as well, but I am in the long run glad to have learned to understand what is going on with my mind.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

Weasyl
    therainbowtroll
    Medication is good but I sometimes think its used too much.

Mental health can be greatly improved by:

Diet change
    Exercise
    Counselling/Theropy
    Hobbies

And changing your siduation (moving out, disconnecting with harmful people ect)

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    Quote Originally Posted by therainbowtroll View Post

Diet change
    Exercise
    Counselling/Theropy
    Hobbies

True! But, to reiterate, if those things all fail, and you're still plagued with, say, thoughts of how horrible you are and how you're probably best off killing yourself, seeking medication is not an invalid option.

It took me a while to accept this. I spent so long so upset that all of the exercise, better diet choices, and therapy (I wish I could've felt interested in hobbies, but it all felt like pointless faff) didn't help because I felt that I, personally, had failed. I was doomed to be this way forever because I could not talk, eat, or run my way out of it.

Now I'm on a mood stabilizer and it has honestly helped. The obsessive/compulsive thoughts are still there, but they hit less hard. It feels less real/distressing when I think, "You're going to die soon. You're going to die now. Now. It's now. And you deserve it, you fat useless faggot fuck." (It still sucks but it's like someone's turned down the speaker, at least.) I still don't understand why my friends put up with me and lack any real sense of self worth, but it's much easier to talk these things out now in therapy.

I guess I had to slow the thoughts down enough to catch them and even begin to try to train myself to think differently? I don't know. I'm less miserable more often now.

But everyone is an individual. I guess the trick is to figure out what you, yourself, need, and try not to let whatever stigmas you've internalized stop you from pursuing it. What works for someone else isn't necessarily going to be what works for you.
    Last edited by Ruggy; 04-03-2014 at 11:57 AM.
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by therainbowtroll View Post

Diet change
    Exercise
    Counselling/Theropy
    Hobbies

I haven't yet found a doctor that over prescribes, but I'm the sort who doesn't take medicine if I can help it. And when I was taking medicine they had me on the smallest dose possible.

And my councilor is a medical councilor too, and she respects that about me, she still has a few ideas of things I could try out, not all of which are mental health related (such as birth control, since a good portion of my bad moods coincide with the week or two before my period, since my cycle tends to run 32-40 days the time just before it where my hormones are being stupid tends to be longer and more drawn out than is normal I guess).

Don't need to tell me about any of that non-medicine stuff , I already do it because I rather not take medicine if I can help it. Especially since I haven't yet found one that works properly for me.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!