Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    You've actually got us beat on heat it looks like, while we consistently break 100 for long stretches in summer, we've never come anywhere near 130F. But to answer the question-

With air conditioning mostly, I know in places that have milder climates AC isn't as much of a thing, most places here have central AC. The past couple of years the fire departments have been handing out window units to people who lack one or live in a house where it's broken down. Construction happens at night much of the time, for all the help it does (still stays in the low 100's upper 90's middle of the summer)

Keeping windows covered to keep the sun from shining in also goes a really long way to help, and of course fans. (pro-tip fans are only good for circulation of air, turn them off if you aren't home to save energy, as they do nothing to improve temperature).

Honestly even though it's been getting pretty hot the past few summers, it's a pretty dry heat most of the time, the worst heat I've had to deal with is in south Texas, where it's cooler (only 85-90's) but practically 100% humidity. Step outside down in south Texas and you're going to be sweating buckets in less than a minute most likely, it's very dangerous to be out.

What is the average cost of a small 1 bedroom apartment?

Here it's pushing $700-800, but it's a college towns, so everyone that rents out property engage in price gouging while maintaining the crappiest living conditions possible.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    By one bedroom, I'm guessing you mean one room and the bathroom, in which case it depends on the city you're in. Here, since the population's more than doubled in the past five years because of the THREE new mines that opened nearby, there are literally no houses left, so people loan the rooms in their houses for as high as 400$/month, Internet/phone/TV/parking/washing machine included, plus you can of course use the kitchen and living room.

In the cities however, rooms are cheaper and more convenient. When I was in college in Trois-Rivieres, I lived right in front of the college and about 1km away from the grocery store and everything and I was paying 260$/month. Again, Internet/TV/phone/washing machine/parking included. Then once I was done, I moved out to a rich neighborhood and this time it was 360$/month, without the Internet/TV/phone and the washing machine was 3$/week. Extremely expensive, I know, but as I said it was in a rich neighborhood so everything was beautiful, really quiet and I was barely two streets away from the grocery store; plus it was an apartment this time, not a room. Now I'm moving out to Montreal next week and I found this nice lil' room for 325$/month, 500 meters from the grocery store and 2km from the college I'm going to (though there's an express bus that goes straight there so it's no biggie). That includes the Internet (awesome speed and no bandwidth cap; I'm amazed) and TV but not the phone, includes the washing machine, parking and it's in a Greek/Arab neighborhood so lots of good restaurants and awesome smells around.

Montreal's expensive. (I can already feel all the Americans in here despising me :V)

What's the average education level people reach where you're from? Here in the woods, there's a primary school and a high school, but people usually get an apprenticeship instead of continuing to college because since there's so many mines, lumberyards and stuff, physical jobs are much more popular than jobs that require higher education so what happens is that we have lots of miners who are paid like 50$/hour, but extreme shortages of important jobs like doctors, psychologists, teachers and other educated jobs. It also doesn't help that to get an higher education, you need to move out to the big cities like Trois-Rivieres, Montreal and such which are over six hours away in the South so once people finish their education there, they tend to stay there or move out to other countries like France, the US and such.

Weasyl
    Solaris-Meadow
    The average level of education I've tended to notice is at least a bachelor's in college. Although I've seen a lot of people with master's degrees though even less with doctorate's. Just my experience and what I've been exposed to.

Where you live what is the most played/popular sport? Like where I'm from it tends to be football... not soccer football but good ole' American football X3

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Hockey, of course. 'Tis Quebec, after all.

Are there many foreigners where you're from?

Here, except that one family from Poland who settled here generations ago in a farm 45 minutes away from here, you'll only see one black family per town and they'll always be college teachers or doctors or other important jobs because they wanna set a good example for black people everywhere since they're the only black people most people here will see in their life.

I live in Redneck central, USA. So, that would be a big no. On a serious note, there's not a lot to attract people to move here; it's a quaint little city, it's been that way for centuries, and will continue on that path for centuries more if nothing forces it. Most people who come to the area move north to Martinsburg or south to Winchester, because they actually have things worth doing.

Hmm.... What's there to do in terms of entertainment and shopping? Here, once again, not much. We've got the local Walmart and a few mom and pop operations on the main strip when it comes to shopping. As for entertainment, the local bowling alley is really all there is. If you want to go actually shop, or see a movie, or anything like that, you'd head half an hour north or south to Martinsburg or Winchester, respectively. Or perhaps east towards Fredrick. Not a long drive at least to anything.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Literally nothing. No Wal-Mart, no stores, no cinema, no nothing. Just the local arena that never hosts any game. People here lead a quiet and uneventful life.

How are gay people viewed where you're from? Here, there's no gay people at all but if there were, people wouldn't really care; what happens in the bedroom stays in the bedroom (unless you decide to boast about it)

Weasyl
    Bliss.in.Oblivion
    Uhmmmm about half the city hates them the other just doesn't care? We're an awkward mix of military conservatives and biotech liberals :u The same principal goes for the state and the country. But not necessarily the military and biotech things.

Hmmm. What part of your country is considered by the rest of the country or where you live as the most detestable and/or hickish?
    Our is, for better or for worse, generally Texas :u But everyone I have met from there is super awesome so I don't put a whole lot of stock in that idea.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Most detestable? Montreal by far, without any doubt. People call it the American City of Quebec because literally everything that's wrong with Quebec is in Montreal, plus most of it's owned by Americans. I'm moving out there tomorrow :U

Do many people give retarded names to their babies where you're from? Here, it's actually illegal to do so, so we don't have any atrocities walking around.

Weasyl
    MainaraShenzai
    Yes, yes some people here do... -__-
    Mine is awesome, but there are some names I hear that just... good gods. It's like people have stitched a bunch of names together, and it just doesn't work... e_e
    It just doesn't.
    I'm one for uncommon names (like mine) when they sound and look nice. Not like some things I heard... e-e

How hot is it in the summer where you're from?
    Here it's currently around 40°C and you feel like you're literally melting down if you go out.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    We've had a week of 54C/129F in July for two years straight now, and it just gets worse.

How good is the Internet where you're from?

Back in the woods, the best thing you could get was microwave Internet, which was 4 mb/s download, virtually no upload and a 35gb/month bandwidth cap for around 70$/month. Though I moved out to Montreal today, so hello kickass Internet with unlimited bandwidth for cheap!