Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Critique of a New Style

Last edited by Lennon; 02-05-2014 at 02:17 PM.

Hi there!

Taking your points into consideration and addressing them

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
    This is my first digital paint.
    We all have to start somewhere, its good that you took the plunge and put your work up.

Felines are not my strong suit.
    Not every new piece has to be a masterpiece. Especially in areas that you feel are weak. Rather than approaching it like this, do studies of the subject matter, sketches, allow yourself to make mistakes while at the same time paying attention to the differences between your study and the subject matter. Best way to approach mastering a difficult subject is by pencil and paper and not digitally which can seriously stifle your abilities...which brings me to the next point...

I used a mouse instead of my tablet.
    Why would you do this? A mouse is not suited for painted illustrations, while I do use both (I especially use the mouse for vector work) it makes for a frustrating and limiting exercise to try and capture something like a tiger in a lineless digital piece. Right now working like this will not teach you much of anything.

Made in Photoshop elements.
    If you would like to practice and improve digital painting, there are better alternatives to elements for creative work like this. Gimp for example.

Weasyl
    willy
    It's actually really good for a first try and especially if you're not very good with drawing felines.

However, I'd suggest looking up more references from different angles to help you get the basic shape down. And like Tiamat said, a mouse really isn't the best thing to use for paintings as you probably know. So it's best if you use a tablet if you have one as you'll have a little more control over the lines.

Won't say that Elements isn't a bad program for this because I've seen people produce some amazing work with Elements, but a different program might help too.

Dude ouch, I used to draw with a mouse, before I got a tablet, what a pain! both in mind and body, talk about carpel tunnel. if you want to do such things go and get at least a low end tablet!!

Other then that the art is not that bad, Tiamat and Willow have already said the things I would say except that I think you really need to use darker shadows and lighter highlghits.

@Tiamat: Thank you so much for your advice!
    The only reason I used a mouse instead of a tablet, because my tablet doesn't seem to be working at the moment.
    I've looked into Gimp before and will certainly be doing more research to see if that program will be right for me.
    Thank you again!

- - - Updated - - -

@Willow: Thanks you! I would've loved to use a tablet for this, but mine had stopped working and I just had to draw something, so my mouse was the alternative. Hopefully I can redo this piece with a table in the near future.

- - - Updated - - -

@Sammacha: Thanks for taking a look at it anyways! I'll look into creating more contrast with the shadows and highlights.
    Last edited by Lennon; 02-01-2014 at 10:46 PM.

The only reason I used a mouse instead of a tablet, because my tablet doesn't seem to be working at the moment.
    I've looked into Gimp before and will certainly be doing more research to see if that program will be right for me.
    Thank you again!

- - - Updated - - -

@Willow: Thanks you! I would've loved to use a tablet for this, but mine had stopped working and I just had to draw something, so my mouse was the alternative. Hopefully I can redo this piece with a table in the near future.

- - - Updated - - -

@Sammacha: Thanks for taking a look at it anyways! I'll look into creating more contrast with the shadows and highlights.
    O it broke? Well thats different and that blows lol. Well I hope you get another soon, corel is also a great program for creating realistic paint effects. I used to love corel....

Thank you again!
    You are welcome, I really like your attitude! I hope to see more of your stuff.

Also check out Artrage, has a great free version, really needs a tablet, but it simulates painting with real paint like Corel. A lot of the stuff in my gallery was done in Artrage.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    You can work in a mouse for digital work, but I highly recommend doing so with vector work. Getting a tablet will save you some headache.

Hopefully they fixed Gimp's problems with working with tablets - the pressure response on Gimp in Windows was quite simply, bad. MyPaint is another good one where the pressure sensitivity is handled better.

There is also Fire Alpaca which is free, AZ Drawing and AZ Painter.

What other drawings do you have?
    Last edited by QT Melon; 02-02-2014 at 11:30 AM.

I'll certainly check those programs out.
    And my tablet began working again, so hopefully I'll have a new, better quality piece up soon.

Would you like to see my other drawings in this same style, or would any do?
    Friends are like play-doh: Fun to play with, not to eat.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    I'll certainly check those programs out.
    And my tablet began working again, so hopefully I'll have a new, better quality piece up soon.

Would you like to see my other drawings in this same style, or would any do?
    Don't worry so much about style, worry more about posting art and learning :3