Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Serbus, advertisements are already planned. They just don't feature in the beta because it's a beta.

Weasyl
    serbus
    Thank you Reshy, I am aware of the situation with advertisements, especially since there's already an e-mail you can contact to advertise with them. I'm more trying to point out that different kinds of exposure can help artists and buyers connect. The marketplace isn't always the first place I go for purchases, plus I'm more likely to spend more on art if I'm exposed to more freelancers.

@xarg & @Tiamat: It's not my intention to start any kind of debate in this thread, but to try and discuss possible solutions. Viewing work by popularity is one way that other sites try to help artists get exposure. Since Weasyl is against that kind of feature then finding an alternate solution could help to fill that need. Perhaps using the tag system could help? Users can list the kind of artwork that they like on their profile, eg. steampunk, horror, comics, etc, and then the front page can show artwork with those tags? It's true that sorting by popularity is a common feature among art sites, so it shouldn't be a surprise that the users would expect to see it. If you omit such a feature, then it should probably be replaced by something that serves the same purpose.
    Currently hiring for:
    Not currently hiring

I also sell art, feel free to contact me for a quote!

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Well I feel the way you get consumers is to make it less consumer driven but features that help make it more community driven. People who were on FA enjoyed the community. Ask them about the administration it's certainly not that, it's because when many of them started engaging with each other. Now they built their base which took quite a while, they will stick with that base more and put up with the other problems.

Now, what I'm talking about isn't actually about an "oh God FA" debate. This is just an example of how one built a customer base without popularity feature or top faves. They built their base through connecting and posting artwork.

Many of those people feel a bit more of a connection to the artist by establishing that to a certain degree and others have developed their following through posting artwork.

The more you make the place a billboard for advertising I think it kills a lot of enjoyment of sharing artwork. It's developed a mentality where people only worth engaging are ones with money. I am most certainly not saying there should be no advertising, but I feel all too often that "sell sell sell" is pushed a lot where it is actually become a turnoff.

I honestly believe that if you put a lot of work in being productive and improving your skill the commission issue and sales will correct itself with the right nurturing of your fans.

https://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/...ll=1#post25006

I think making it easier to find people who are doing commissions and stuff on the main sight would help maybe? I'm not a buyer, but I do like browsing/window shopping if you know what I mean. Right now, unless you go to someones front page, there doesn't appear to be any way to look at what others are offering.

I feel like it's a little discouraging to try to get into doing commissions, unless one is willing to either undervalue their work, or are amazingly fast, it isn't really worth it to try to compete with all the really cheap commission prices I've seen on here.

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenith View Post
    I think making it easier to find people who are doing commissions and stuff on the main sight would help maybe? I'm not a buyer, but I do like browsing/window shopping if you know what I mean. Right now, unless you go to someones front page, there doesn't appear to be any way to look at what others are offering.

I feel like it's a little discouraging to try to get into doing commissions, unless one is willing to either undervalue their work, or are amazingly fast, it isn't really worth it to try to compete with all the really cheap commission prices I've seen on here.
    A "comparison shopping" feature would only serve to further motivate artists undercutting each other's prices...
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

I wasn't suggesting a comparison shop feature?

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenith View Post
    I wasn't suggesting a comparison shop feature?
    Could you elaborate then on what you're looking for in a feature that enables "window shopping" to "look at what others are offering" more easily?
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

When I say window shopping I mean "look at things with no intention to buy".

If I'm out and about I really like to look at stuff, but I generally don't ever intend to buy anything, I just like...well looking. Maybe there's a better term for that?

But, I also suggested it just cause, there's no way to find people who are offering commissions at all. I think it would help increase "vitality" of the community in terms of buying and selling if there is more visibility in general.

You are right though, that it would encourage people to undercut and things..which is unfortunate as it's a really prevalent problem. One that hurts those doing the undercutting, but also one that hurts people that might be making a living off of their artwork. I don't really have the solution to that in particular other than to educate people and teach them to value their time unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    I honestly believe that if you put a lot of work in being productive and improving your skill the commission issue and sales will correct itself with the right nurturing of your fans.

https://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/...ll=1#post25006
    Exactly!

Though I think having a separate search feature for consumers looking for currently available artists, which can be further broken down into categories, might not be a bad idea. Undercutting is always going to be a factor in any competitive quote industry. I also agree that educating is the way to go.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    A result showing a list with "portfolio" or sample work would be nice. Then the prices would be a secondary click would work