Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Weasyl
    serbus

Marketplace Vitality

So I just looked over the buying forum and I noticed that threads I had posted nearly a year ago were still on the front page. I've been boycotting FA for a while now, but one thing that they really got right was a prevalent art buyer community. How do we do that here? How do we make Weasyl appealing to buyers?

As a buyer myself, when I visit Weasyl I'm less inclined to post my jobs in the marketplace because there aren't a lot of other buyers posting. It's sort of a catch 22 I guess. In a lot of ways I feel like this isn't really a community where the business of art is as valued, but instead focused simply on the production of art (which isn't a bad thing per se).

On FA one thing I liked was the user sponsored advertisements. Even though I'm not always looking for art, I would often purchase commissions through those ads that I normally wouldn't have if they hadn't been there.

I think buying and selling art is a huge part of the furry community. So as a community how do we solve this on Weasyl? I watch all the same artists on Weasyl that I ever watched on FA. We're the same community, the same family. So what is different here?

- - - Updated - - -

Another thought that just crossed my mind is when I do post jobs here the response is really slow. Like the sellers aren't really looking at the job forum. So I prefer places like deviantArt where I know I can get a quick response, especially if I'm working within a deadline.

Any other buyers have similar thoughts to discuss?
    Last edited by serbus; 01-31-2014 at 05:23 PM.
    Currently hiring for:
    Not currently hiring

I also sell art, feel free to contact me for a quote!

Weasyl
    xarg
    This is pretty much the feel I've gotten from following some other threads and developments of the site and community. Things are catered for artists, while browsers and consumers are second rate citizens. In all decisions and discussions the concensus seems to be however the artists want things to work, ignoring everything that might conflict with non-artist users needs. This would be something that does affect the viability of the community for business.
    Last edited by xarg; 01-31-2014 at 08:01 PM. Reason: punctuation

Weasyl
    willy
    It might just be because many users haven't gotten to it yet. I mean Weasyl's activity didn't really pick up very recently and a lot of people I'd imagine aren't selling right now or they're finishing up commissions from the holiday season.

Weasyl
    serbus
    @xarg: I think a thriving marketplace would be of great benefit to artists which no one would seem to object to. I don't feel that Weasyl is excluding browsers and consumers, but that they are integral part of a good art community which seems to be missing here. The collections feature is very much catered to the 'passive' browser and is one of the predominant features of the site. I do feel that Weasyl has had the interest of non-artist users at heart from the beginning. It's just we seem to be missing that segment of the community somehow. I guess being passive is one possible issue here. How to engage people that generally prefer to lurk?

@Willow: There's probably some reluctance for consumers to move to Weasyl. I noticed when Weasyl's activity picks up there will be a surge of buyers and sellers that lasts 2-4 weeks and then dies down. Maybe there's a way to take the activity that's going on now and keep it rolling? I wish there were a way I could poll some of the freelance artists here and ask how many jobs they get through the forums versus the galleries and compare that to the same production on other sites. Even when some artists are full there's usually a plethora of other artists who are still looking for work.
    Currently hiring for:
    Not currently hiring

I also sell art, feel free to contact me for a quote!

Quote Originally Posted by xarg View Post
    This is pretty much the feel I've gotten from following some other threads and developments of the site and community. Things are catered for artists, while browsers and consumers are second rate citizens.
    Why do you feel that way? I honestly see everyone who uses this site as being given equal opportunity to suggest changes and offer input for improvement. Not every idea is going to get the green light.
    Last edited by Tiamat; 01-31-2014 at 08:49 PM.

Weasyl
    xarg
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamat View Post
    Why do you feel that way? I honestly see everyone who uses this site as being given equal opportunity to suggest changes and offer input for improvement. Not every idea is going to get the green light.
    It's just a feel. If I had any actual objective arguments I wouldn't use that word. Whenever this subject is brought up, the first word out of anyone's mouth is "collections". A feature that doesn't even serve commissioners that well in it's current incarnation. Then there's all the things like the difficulty of discovering artists and the difficulty of finding the best that the site has to offer that the current versions have.

I do have a feeling that small things like lack of sorting search results do affect the likelihood of a random non-artist sticking with the site instead of returning to more efficient venues of fulfilling their desire to see good, quality art.

For example, every other larger art site I know offers the option to browse content sorted through some form of popularity. This works because good art just gets more views. Here, however, the discussion of the subject was quickly killed with the concensus that it is unfair to unpopular artists.
    Last edited by xarg; 01-31-2014 at 09:58 PM.

It's just a feel. If I had any actual objective arguments I wouldn't use that word. Whenever this subject is brought up, the first word out of anyone's mouth is "collections". A feature that doesn't even serve commissioners that well in it's current incarnation. Then there's all the things like the difficulty of discovering artists and the difficulty of finding the best that the site has to offer that the current versions have.

I do have a feeling that small things like lack of sorting search results do affect the likelihood of a random non-artist sticking with the site instead of returning to more efficient venues of fulfilling their desire to see good, quality art.

For example, every other larger art site I know offers the option to browse content sorted through some form of popularity. This works because good art just gets more views. Here, however, the discussion of the subject was quickly killed with the concensus that it is unfair to unpopular artists.
    Because it is unfair to unpopular artists. Popularity isn't always an indicator of quality, as shown by some of the DD-picks on deviantART where unknown artists need to get a huge spotlight thrown on them before people see their art and how good it is.

I honestly have not had any problems discovering new artists whose work I really admire.

Weasyl
    xarg
    Point is that to attract a crowd, you have to offer them something more than they would get from elsewhere. If you make getting things too difficult or have too little to give, the crowd will find some other place that delivers.

Being an artist, you have other reasons beyond simply looking at art to use the site.

Point is that to attract a crowd, you have to offer them something more than they would get from elsewhere. If you make getting things too difficult or have too little to give, the crowd will find some other place that delivers.

Being an artist, you have other reasons beyond simply looking at art to use the site.
    Is it really so hard? All I see on other (and what are currently perceived by many as "competing") art sites and forums are compliments regarding the layout and accessibility of the site. I don't want to speak out of turn, but I'm quite sure the staff take accommodating all users quite seriously.

As an artist I use this site to display art, discuss art and help others. I don't rely on Weasyl as my sole source of income by any means. For what I expect this site to provide in terms of -being- an art site, I am very satisfied. I also maintain galleries at CGHUB as well as Deviantart and formerly at ConceptArt and FA. Though as of late, I am here the most.

So long as the staff keep implementing improvements and trying to maintain this as a general art site, they are doing their job. Rome was not built in a day and considering its origins, the progress of Weasyl has been surprising!
    Last edited by Tiamat; 01-31-2014 at 10:37 PM.