Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Weasyl
    N/A
    I like pets that are quiet and unintrusive.

Like my lizard, Rex.

He's hueg, but he's the chillest pet ever.

Doesn't matter to me; I go for personality when adopting. though all my guinea pigs are female so I don't end up making more!

Weasyl
    zenia
    I tend to like male animals more... but currently, both of my cats are females.
    I didn't pick out my Russian Blue, I got her from someone on CL and didn't tell them a preference, just that I wanted a "grey kitty" (they had grey and black ones). She is a wonderful cat and unlike most cats, actually likes me. lol
    My other cat ... well technically I didn't pick her out either. I was on CL again and someone had two kittens remaining form a litter. One was a totally tail-less Manx and I've always wanted one (the other is a 'taily' Max so she has a normal tail), so I didn't care if it was male or female. I told her that I wanted it and let my sister know I was getting it. She went to the CL post and emailed the lady to tell her to also bring the other kitten because she "didn't want to split the siblings up." So we got two (female) kittens. As it turns out, the kitty I picked decided to love my sister most and her kitty decided to love me most, so we swapped. lol A little disappointing since I want the tailless to be mine, but I would rather have a kitty that likes me.

Here is a pic of each kitty!
    http://i.imgur.com/bhweh1V.jpg - Dove (I had a dove tattooed in her ear) ... I call her "Dave" a lot.
    http://i.imgur.com/DfCFPe9.jpg - Peeta (when she is naughty we shout PEETA MELLARK!!! at her) I like to call her "Peepee."
    http://i.imgur.com/amdtot8.jpg - Cinna (I had a cinnamon bun tattooed in her ear) her nicknames are "Cinnabun" "Cinnamon Bun" "Cinna Bunny" and "Cinna Butt."

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    I adopt, with no intention to ever breed, so all of my animals have been spayed or neutered and any breeding cycle inconveniences are not a factor. So really, gender doesn't matter to me. (Male cats spraying may be something to think about before I get any cats, but so far I've just had dogs.)

That said, the dogs that have been my best buddies have all just happened to be male. I chalk that up to coincidence, though. A sample size of 3 is hardly a sample size. P:

This is Wesley, my current buddy!
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

Weasyl
    zenia
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgonops View Post
    Aww! He's adorable!

I always spay/neuter my animals too. I am glad that my SPCA has a 'low income' program. Donate $50 to them and they set up an appointment at the vet of your choice and you then just have to pay for meds... although with the two kittens my sister and I just got, the vet didn't charge us for the meds.

The only pets I don't alter (which I don't have at the moment) are pet rats. Except one time... the local breeder was going down to a rat show in Washington state and there had just been a massive rescue operation in Idaho. She said that anyone who wanted rats from that could tell her and she would bring them back since the rescue was going to the show as well. I went to the website and fell in love with a Himilayan boy. Since I had girls at the time, I opted to have him neutered down there since the rescue was working with a vet that was neutering for only $17 (here it costs over $100). I named him "Lucky" since he got to live with 5 ladies.
    http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/o...12-183x181.jpg

Weasyl
    TealMoon
    We always get our animals from the pound. And when you adopt from there the animal gets some shots and fixed.
    No need to pay extra :3

Gender doesn't matter, personality is everything.

Weasyl
    Littlerock
    I've never 'chosen' a pet, they've all just been adopts/rescues for me. Cats, lots of cats. We've gotten them all fixed, so spraying/heat isn't a problem.

There's a wonderful local program that opens clinics where you can bring in trapped ferals and they'll spay/neuter/earclip for free. You can also opt to have them administer a combo shot too (rabies/felv/fiv/parvo/whatever), and they comb each and every one's fur out while they're still clocked. My regular vet volunteers surgeries there, and she says it's quite the workout, haha. I have great respect for anybody that spends that much time and effort working to help animals. The same organization also does discount pet clinics, it's very inexpensive.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    I adopt, with no intention to ever breed, so all of my animals have been spayed or neutered and any breeding cycle inconveniences are not a factor. So really, gender doesn't matter to me. (Male cats spraying may be something to think about before I get any cats, but so far I've just had dogs.)
    Well the issue is not always that the person wants to breed their pets - I personally have no intention of doing so, it's just that most people when looking for a new pet will look for a young one, and they haven't usually been speutered at this age.
    In addition to that, I do not believe in spaying or neutering dogs until they are at least 1 year of age, there are health risks associated with performing this surgery before then.
    That being said, I will spay a female cat ASAP (as long as she's not a kitten still) because the risks for mammary cancer increase with every heat cycle, and I support neutering male cats ASAP because once toms get into the habit of spraying, it's very hard to kick them of it.
    Last edited by Gamedog; 01-31-2014 at 06:10 PM.

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamedog View Post
    Well the issue is not always that the person wants to breed their pets - I personally have no intention of doing so, it's just that most people when looking for a new pet will look for a young one, and they haven't usually been speutered at this age.
    In addition to that, I do not believe in spaying or neutering dogs until they are at least 1 year of age, there are health risks associated with performing this surgery before then.
    That being said, I will spay a female cat ASAP (as long as she's not a kitten still) because the risks for mammary cancer increase with every heat cycle, and I support neutering male cats ASAP because once toms get into the habit of spraying, it's very hard to kick them of it.
    True! And if one gets a young pup not from a shelter (which often require the animal to be fixed before they'll even give it to you) there's more choice involved. I can't say as I'm terribly knowledgeable as to ideal age to sterilize a dog or cat, since I haven't been in the position of getting a young pup or kitten yet. My preference is for getting adult animals from shelters, so even if I had wanted to bring them home intact, I wouldn't have been able to. (At least, with shelter policies around here. It may not be the same everywhere.)
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    True! And if one gets a young pup not from a shelter (which often require the animal to be fixed before they'll even give it to you) there's more choice involved. I can't say as I'm terribly knowledgeable as to ideal age to sterilize a dog or cat, since I haven't been in the position of getting a young pup or kitten yet. My preference is for getting adult animals from shelters, so even if I had wanted to bring them home intact, I wouldn't have been able to. (At least, with shelter policies around here. It may not be the same everywhere.)
    Yeah that is quite an issue with shelters. I believe they have the best interest at heart and I know why they speuter pets so young, but I've heard of shelters speutering pets at only weeks of age, not even a couple months old at the time.
    There is more of a chance to be able to speuter your pet at the age you want if you purchase from a breeder, but there are a lot of shady breeders out there and it takes a lot of research to find the right one.
    I do not want to bring this topic off chat so here's some helpful links for anybody who is interested and thinking about getting a dog:
    - When to fix Fido: a dog owner's dilemma -- Canadian Medical Veterinary Association
    - When to Spay, When To Neuter -- Dr. Ron Hines DVM PhD
    - The Question Of Neutering and at what age -- Gregg Tonkin, Little River Labradors
    - Long-term Health Effects of Spay/Neuter In Dogs -- Larry S. Katz, PhD, National Animal Interest Alliance

I just laid my head on my cat's belly and she licked my face and arms all over :)