Question+Suggestion: Feature Folders?

How exactly do feature folders work in relation to the users front page?

Right now if I set one of my folders as a feature folder, the submission page will only show things from that, and not the rest of my submission section, is this a bug or intended behavior?

If it is intended behavior, might I suggest that in addition to that, that the front page also show things that are in submissions but not folders?

I mean if it isn't a bug, right now you can either have your submission page show just the most recent thing, or you can have it cycle through only folders designated for it. Or make a folder and not have anything in it featured at all.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2

Weasyl
    Fiz
    It's supposed to work that way. Items in a folder set to 'featured' will rotate on your front page. If you don't have a featured folder, it will just show your most recent submission.

Not sure I understand your suggestion though. Do you mean have an option to have your 'featured/recent' submissions rotate through all your submissions, even if they're not in a folder?

For the most part yeah I think so.

I think it would be nice that if one doesn't want to use folders, that they have the option to have things in submissions rotate. Or to have submissions and stuff in a feature folder both showing up on the front page.

I don't mind using folders personally, it just struck me as a little odd that allowing featured folders would override the things being shown from the submission area, I thought that making a folder "featured" would just mean it would show that stuff in addition to the stuff already shown in submissions, so maybe the explanation on that isn't very clear.

(for the record I don't mind using folders, I ended up just making a second feature folder to coexist with the first one).

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4
    lorenith,

Have you read over https://www.weasyl.com/help/folders ? If it isn't explaining well enough, we can see if it can somehow be more clear.

It does make sense, but it feels like a clumsy system to be honest. Some of the "tricks" really just look like work arounds for things that should be doable without a bunch of weird extra steps.

6.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenith View Post
    It does make sense, but it feels like a clumsy system to be honest. Some of the "tricks" really just look like work arounds for things that should be doable without a bunch of weird extra steps.
    what do you feel could be done without extra steps, and what would the flow be instead?

I think some of the things are already implemented, like the ability to silently upload work (you guys already have a checkbox for that in submissions, so there isn't really any crazy shenanigans needed to get them uploaded silently with the help of folders).

But for something like having a specific image always on the front? Having a folder just for a single image is a little excessive, when it'd be cleaner to just have a setting to specify if you want a certain image up front.

The rest of my suggestion was just more of a thought of adding more granularity to what people can do. Like if they don't want to use folders, they can set it up so their front page cycles through their submissions if they want to (like a choice between cycling, showing most recent, or a static image of their choosing). Same for folders, maybe someone wants the folder to be easily visible on their front page, but not contribute to the images that appear.