Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: [Problem] Trolltaggers

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Quote Originally Posted by xarg View Post
    Although this also can and will be abused, as proven by multiple users on InkBunny, where the people who most often mis-tag their pictures will use this feature to completely disable community tag suggestions to allow their tagging misdeeds to go unhindered.

A compromise would be to allow the artist to be informed when tags are changed and to allow them to block a certain user from changing the tags on any of their submissions, instead of allowing people to broadly block the suggestions altogether. (Much like comments function for the moment.)
    This is a great idea.

Pretty surprised that we're not alerted already when someone changes our tags. How are we supposed to, as suggested, report when our tags are being trolled if we don't even know it's happening?

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Quote Originally Posted by xyloart View Post
    Pretty surprised that we're not alerted already when someone changes our tags. How are we supposed to, as suggested, report when our tags are being trolled if we don't even know it's happening?
    I suppose that's if you check your tags semi-frequently, as I will do.
    OP obviously noticed that their tags were being tagged with troll words, probably by doing that exact thing.

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamedog View Post
    OP obviously noticed that their tags were being tagged with troll words, probably by doing that exact thing.
    This gets increasingly impractical as your gallery grows with time. A tagging notification is a good idea.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    willy
    Quote Originally Posted by xarg View Post
    Although this also can and will be abused, as proven by multiple users on InkBunny, where the people who most often mis-tag their pictures will use this feature to completely disable community tag suggestions to allow their tagging misdeeds to go unhindered.
    Technically pretty much any feature you implement that gives the user some control over who can and can't see their stuff can and will be abused. The ability to simply block people is an issue on almost any website.

That's not to say it's a big deal or a legitimate problem (which would still probably break a rule so they'd be dealt with anyways). I honestly would have suggested to not have the ability to completely block other users out but maybe make it so that the only options were like, everyone, followers, and friends, and then an additional option where the artist could approve/disapprove of suggestions.

But that may be too complicated.

A compromise would be to allow the artist to be informed when tags are changed and to allow them to block a certain user from changing the tags on any of their submissions, instead of allowing people to broadly block the suggestions altogether. (Much like comments function for the moment.)
    Notifications would be good.
    Last edited by Willow; 01-31-2014 at 12:02 AM.

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow View Post
    That makes sense. and maybe instead of still allowing anyone to just change the tags in addition to notifying them [the original artist], the they also have to approve of the tags before they're submitted.
    You start to run into the other problem then, of artists refusing to properly tag their submissions, which is what community tagging is supposed to solve. Tag disputes should be left to moderation IMO.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    willy
    Quote Originally Posted by piņardilla View Post
    You start to run into the other problem then, of artists refusing to properly tag their submissions, which is what community tagging is supposed to solve. Tag disputes should be left to moderation IMO.
    True. But I think after that point, if artists refuse to properly tag things, then it would be something the mods would have to take care of.

Weasyl
    Onnes
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow View Post
    True. But I think after that point, if artists refuse to properly tag things, then it would be something the mods would have to take care of.
    Given the volume of submissions, having mods deal with routine tagging would require giving a significant fraction of the site mod powers.
    I think the big fix would be adding tag notifications. (Really, there should probably be some kind of more comprehensive submission dashboard for tags, comments, statistics and what have you.)
    If abuse is still a problem, one could restrict tag additions to users N days old or with some sort of premium status.

Weasyl
    TealMoon
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamedog View Post
    What about when you have hundreds of submissions?

I agree that there should be a notification system.

Weasyl
    zenia
    I will echo the notifications. That is something that InkBunny does that I really like. Sometimes I won't think of a keyword to put in my tags and someone else does so the can suggest it. It notifies me and I go to a page where I can approve of or reject the suggested tag.