Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: [Problem] Trolltaggers

Whenever a submission is edited there should be a notice saying this submission had these tags added. Furthermore, blocked/ignored users cannot edit the tags on your submissions.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Quote Originally Posted by TealMoon View Post
    What about when you have hundreds of submissions?

I agree that there should be a notification system.
    It would not be very possible to do that if you had many submissions.
    Like I said previously, I definitely support some sort of notification system, but there's not much else we can do in the meantime, correct?

Weasyl
    ArcheKruz
    I am definitely all for a notification system when someone tags your art.

Weasyl
    foxboyprower
    I think clearly separating the tags added by the artist and those added by viewers could help. The artist's tags couldn't be edited by other users but anyone can add to the list of "suggested tags". I think inkbunny has a system like this and it works well.

Weasyl
    Swanda
    Quote Originally Posted by foxboyprower View Post
    I think clearly separating the tags added by the artist and those added by viewers could help. The artist's tags couldn't be edited by other users but anyone can add to the list of "suggested tags". I think inkbunny has a system like this and it works well.
    That doesn't really remove the problem of troll tagging though.. It simply show that the artist isn't trolling themselves?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh man, I've been suggesting and yelling about tag notifications since day one.
    It's been THE major reason in why I left my weasyl gallery to rot, up until the point I felt I had nowhere else to go.
    I'm so happy to see people actually talking about it!

Please, give us a notification when a tag is added or removed from a submission, and of cause let us know what tag and which submission.
    It is more or less the only way people with large galleries would ever notice abusive tags. And how can we report it, or even give an estimate of when it was added if we weren't noted about it?

Maybe also make it so that you could turn tag notifications of? Maybe? I know some people would find it wildly annoying.
    On the other hand... if they get spammed with genuine tag adds, they should probably take it as a hint to tag better.
    It would also help submitters understand what tags the community appreciate on what art.
    Quite a few people do their best at tagging, but still fail at adding some rather obvious tags, and the notifications would make them aware of that.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanda View Post
    That doesn't really remove the problem of troll tagging though.. It simply show that the artist isn't trolling themselves?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh man, I've been suggesting and yelling about tag notifications since day one.
    It's been THE major reason in why I left my weasyl gallery to rot, up until the point I felt I had nowhere else to go.
    I'm so happy to see people actually talking about it!

Please, give us a notification when a tag is added or removed from a submission, and of cause let us know what tag and which submission.
    It is more or less the only way people with large galleries would ever notice abusive tags. And how can we report it, or even give an estimate of when it was added if we weren't noted about it?

Maybe also make it so that you could turn tag notifications of? Maybe? I know some people would find it wildly annoying.
    On the other hand... if they get spammed with genuine tag adds, they should probably take it as a hint to tag better.
    It would also help submitters understand what tags the community appreciate on what art.
    Quite a few people do their best at tagging, but still fail at adding some rather obvious tags, and the notifications would make them aware of that.
    It's the reason why I haven't uploaded any art yet. I'm patient though and I hope that Weasyl will have a notification system in the future :)
    I feel bad whenever I add a tag to someone's art because although some people might like seeing fat/chubby art (for example), I don't, and I don't know if someone whose character is obviously on the heavier side (IMO) would get angry and report me as a troll for tagging it as such.
    So it's a double-edged sword I think, but I don't imagine the staff would just infract people immediately upon a "troll" tag report. Hmm

One thing I'd rather not see is fursuit images, and you would not believe how many times people don't tag their fursuit photos with "fursuit", it's kind of funny lol

Weasyl
    Swanda
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamedog View Post
    One thing I'd rather not see is fursuit images, and you would not believe how many times people don't tag their fursuit photos with "fursuit", it's kind of funny lol
    I believe you, oh do I believe you. I've just shifted through a good few pages of visual art, to get a better judgement of how bad people are at rating their submissions right.
    (It's bad btw.. REALLY freaking bad...) and on quite a few of the sexually explicit fetish arts.. there would only be the required amount of tags, and those tags would be the character names or some other utter useless things : P
    And if we really nitpick it, then almost none of the anthropomorphic art is tagged as "Furry" or "Anthro", despite the fact Weasyl is a general art site and not furry exclusive.

About the double edged sword thing; Getting the notification of a tag edit is more than enough. It doesn't need say who added it.
    Tag adding should remain anonymous as it is now, so users don't start bashing each other over it : P
    Only mods would really ever need the username anyway, and only for tracking down trolls.

Another issue would be people removing actually helpful tags that people have added.
    Maybe, if possible, it could be made so that if a tag is added and removed, lets say five times, on the same submission it would generate a trouble ticket of sorts, to call in a mod.
    And then of cause it would be a helpful tool for mods if they can lock a tag, so the artist can't remove it again, or people can't keep adding it :U
    But that is just nitpicking.. hopefully a warning should be enough.

Weasyl
    Aster
    Quote Originally Posted by zenia View Post
    [...] Sometimes I won't think of a keyword to put in my tags and someone else does so the can suggest it. It notifies me and I go to a page where I can approve of or reject the suggested tag.
    The problem with the suggest/approve method is that the tags aren't implemented instantly. I have a small number of tags blacklisted in my settings, and two of them slip through my filter quite often due to artists neglecting to tag their work. As it stands, I can correct the tag, and poof! The art is no longer visible. Giving artists the power to accept/reject tags means that the piece will be incorrectly tagged for anywhere between minutes and months (depending on how often they check Weasyl). And if the artist is a troll tagger, they might never accept corrections.

Simply notifying artists of updated tags should be enough. Besides, any non-troll who sees the troll tags should be reporting the image for incorrect tags or removing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanda View Post
    [People are doing a really bad job tagging]
    [Tagging should stay anonymous]

Another issue would be people removing actually helpful tags that people have added.
    Maybe, if possible, it could be made so that if a tag is added and removed, lets say five times, on the same submission it would generate a trouble ticket of sorts, to call in a mod.
    And then of cause it would be a helpful tool for mods if they can lock a tag, so the artist can't remove it again, or people can't keep adding it :U
    But that is just nitpicking.. hopefully a warning should be enough.
    I agree 95% with all of that. But I can't help but wonder, are tags actually added and removed over 5 times? That seems like an awful lot. Really, 3 tag changes would probably suffice before a ticket should be generated. Because if a tag is added, then removed, three times, there is clearly a problem there.

I mean, I'm not sure how often users are tagging, but I don't tag other people's submissions that much because I know there will be artists who get pissed off at it, and judging by the state of the front page, not a lot of other people are tagging either. And since artists aren't notified of changes to their tags, I can't imagine that there is a lot of back-and-forth over tags.
    Last edited by Aster; 02-05-2014 at 06:11 PM.
    don't mind me; i'm just insane

Weasyl
    Zeta-Neubourn
    I'm gonna be totally honest. Don't hate me for this...

The best solution is to suck it up and shrug it off. Trolls are always gonna be there and will create alternate accounts if one gets banned or disabled. The next best solution is to delete the tag. Seriously, it's not that big a deal. Feeding a troll will only increase the rate in which they'll troll, until full or bored.

Although, I'm not one to argue that an option to manage tag changes would be good for some people. I just think it's a little silly to get so worked up over that. You're gonna leave because a troll left a silly tag on your art? C'mon... that's EXACTLY what they want.

But I digest.

Weasyl
    Aster
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Neubourn View Post
    [...] The best solution is to suck it up and shrug it off. Trolls are always gonna be there and will create alternate accounts if one gets banned or disabled. The next best solution is to delete the tag. Seriously, it's not that big a deal. Feeding a troll will only increase the rate in which they'll troll, until full or bored.

Although, I'm not one to argue that an option to manage tag changes would be good for some people. I just think it's a little silly to get so worked up over that. You're gonna leave because a troll left a silly tag on your art? C'mon... that's EXACTLY what they want.

But I digest.
    Yes, it is true that you shouldn't let tag changes bother you. And yes, trolls are gunna troll, no matter what.
    But the idea is to make it easier for artists and users to combat trolling. Which could very very easily be done by notifying them when tags are changed. Why make it easy for trolls? Just because you can't 100% stop them doesn't mean you shouldn't make it harder for them to function.

And yes, digestion is good. Keep up the good work. I shall go eat some lunch and work on my own digestion.
    (But I think you also digress).
    don't mind me; i'm just insane