Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: [Problem] Trolltaggers

[Problem] Trolltaggers

Is there anything in the works to deal with tagtrolls?

Reason I ask is due to a comment from an artist that is very reluctant to return to Weasyl after getting trolltagged on one submission and didn't discover it until a few weeks passed.

What is a tag troll?

Weasyl
    willy
    Quote Originally Posted by xyloart View Post
    What is a tag troll?
    That's what I want to know too.

Did they just purposefully tag something incorrectly or what? Because especially if it took weeks for the original artist or whoever to see it, it not only sounds like it's not a widespread issue, but also something you should either report or just talk to a mod about.

Especially since very few probably don't know what exactly it is you're referring to.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    I thought tag troll was obvious enough a name, but yeah I've seen a few of those and most changes go unnoticed since artists aren't notified when someone changes their tags so when they get bored and look back at their old submissions to find tags like "lol artist is ghey", they aren't too pleased; I've seen a few quit Weasyl because this is so ridiculous. It's waaay more widespread than people think it is and it could be fixed so easily; by notifying the artist when someone changes their tags.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    If you report the tag trolling, the troll can get their tagging privileges revoked.

Weasyl
    Trianine
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamedog View Post
    If you report the tag trolling, the troll can get their tagging privileges revoked.
    What is the recommended procedure for doing this? How can one guarantee results in the face of a trolltag?
    I ask, because actions taken by a content creator may exonerate the tagger. ie, You removed offensive tags and now there is no proof. Is there a revision history kept for the submission tags? How long do you have to wait for a tag/ticket to be seen by an admin?

Bear in mind, this is a free site to use. Anyone who is of mischievous intent can easily get a new account with a disposable email. The really dedicated (and banned) folk can even cycle proxies with little fuss. Simply taking corrective action is no guarantee that you can do more than temporarily alleviate this issue.

I think a more metered approach is to do what facebook does with tagging. Allow the creator to define who can tag, and allow the creator to review tags for certain sets of users before they are applied. A more robust whitelist/blacklist may be unnecessarily complex for this site, but would also be effective, provided the user knew how to implement it.

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #7

Weasyl
    Term
    People abusing the tagging system is something that's come up before.

It is against the rules to abuse the tagging system to harass a user.

The recommended action is to report your own submission, tell us the tags that are the problem ones, and give us the approximate date the tag was made.

Most importantly, if you suspect someone as the person who is harassing you through tags, don't approach that person. Let staff deal with these issues. We have that capability to look back and attempt to trace back who edited tags but by providing specific information it will help us out immensely.

Persons found guilty of abusing the tagging system will have their tagging privileges revoked and may face other administrative action up to and including a suspension.

Weasyl
    athdaraxen
    Quote Originally Posted by Trianine View Post
    What is the recommended procedure for doing this? How can one guarantee results in the face of a trolltag?
    I ask, because actions taken by a content creator may exonerate the tagger. ie, You removed offensive tags and now there is no proof. Is there a revision history kept for the submission tags? How long do you have to wait for a tag/ticket to be seen by an admin?

Bear in mind, this is a free site to use. Anyone who is of mischievous intent can easily get a new account with a disposable email. The really dedicated (and banned) folk can even cycle proxies with little fuss. Simply taking corrective action is no guarantee that you can do more than temporarily alleviate this issue.

I think a more metered approach is to do what facebook does with tagging. Allow the creator to define who can tag, and allow the creator to review tags for certain sets of users before they are applied. A more robust whitelist/blacklist may be unnecessarily complex for this site, but would also be effective, provided the user knew how to implement it.
    I really like the idea of being able to review edits of tags at the very least. It would be nice to be able to see the edits and be notified of them.

Weasyl
    willy
    Quote Originally Posted by Term View Post
    Persons found guilty of abusing the tagging system will have their tagging privileges revoked and may face other administrative action up to and including a suspension.
    Would it also help to set up permissions on tags? So that way if someone chooses to they can make it to where only they and/or certain people can edit the tags.

Weasyl
    xarg
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow View Post
    Would it also help to set up permissions on tags? So that way if someone chooses to they can make it to where only they and/or certain people can edit the tags.
    Although this also can and will be abused, as proven by multiple users on InkBunny, where the people who most often mis-tag their pictures will use this feature to completely disable community tag suggestions to allow their tagging misdeeds to go unhindered.

A compromise would be to allow the artist to be informed when tags are changed and to allow them to block a certain user from changing the tags on any of their submissions, instead of allowing people to broadly block the suggestions altogether. (Much like comments function for the moment.)