File size limit inconsistencies

So yesterday a friend mentioned that her main barrier to entry for Weasyl was the file size limit. She's a visual artist, so I took a look for myself. 5MB for standard users! Even less with JPG! These do seem a bit low compared to Fur Affinity's limit of 10MB, deviantArt's limit of 30MB, and SoFurry's notable absence of a file size limit. Premium members such as myself get higher limits, so I did a quick Google search. The first hit for "weasyl premium" is a blog post that states that the "standard upload size won’t be below 10MB", but the upload page clearly states this is not the case; you have to be a premium member to get 10MB uploads for PNG and GIF. Moreover, even 10MB seems kinda low now that animated PNGs are a thing.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2

Weasyl
    Fiz
    That blog post was from 2 years ago, so it's quite out of date. We kept a lower filesize limit to see what our system could handle at that point in time, but I'll discuss with staff bumping the limit up.

Added a redmine issue for it if you want to track it: https://redmine.weasyl.com/issues/255
    Last edited by Fiz; 01-29-2014 at 05:22 PM.

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #3

Weasyl
    Fayv
    To be clear, we don't currently have a premium system in place for main site, there isn't a difference between the premium and non-premium users outside of the forums.

It might be a good idea to change the submission upload page to reflect that. Does this mean I'm limited to 5MB? Or that standard users get 10MB?

5.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #5

Weasyl
    Fiz
    Quote Originally Posted by SwooshyCueb View Post
    It might be a good idea to change the submission upload page to reflect that. Does this mean I'm limited to 5MB? Or that standard users get 10MB?
    Everyone is currently set to standard users iirc

Aight, cool. Thanks for sticking it on redmine!