Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    The Lurking Wolfox Hendikins's Avatar

    Weasyl
    Hendikins
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia (usually)
    Gender
    Bloke
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by xarg View Post
    Shouldn't this be something to be rectified as soon as possible? What if someone decides it's a funky thing to start creating accounts and posting questionable material taking up the front page in the middle of the night? It only takes around 5 accounts to consume most visible space.
    To be honest, it's more important to have the bulk of your moderation resources available when the bulk of the traffic is around. Having people all around the globe is nice to have, but even that isn't going to ensure you have moderators available 24/7.

    Problems with the idea:
    * The users (and therefore the traffic) are not spread evenly throughout the timezones - I would gather that the majority of the traffic comes from North America, with the next biggest source being western Europe.
    * The moderators are volunteers with lives. Having lives means that they won't always be available regardless of what timezone they're in.
    * Apparently the last group of moderator applicants contained 95 users. You'd be lucky if more than 10 of those were outside North America and Europe.
    * You can't select somebody as a moderator simply because they provide timezone coverage. You have to pick the most suitable candidates based on other criteria (you're generally looking at skills, demeanour, history, reputation, etc. - all of which are more important than timezone).
    * Assuming the distribution of suitable candidates is roughly the same across the globe, you'd be lucky to have one or two new moderators from outside North America/Europe. Making the reasonable assumption that they have lives, they won't always be available.

    In short:
    * Across the globe coverage is going to be hard to get
    * You're not going to have moderators available 24/7 in a community this size.

  2. #12
    Regular xarg's Avatar
    Weasyl
    xarg
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    97
    I am not as dumb as to suggest that people should be chosen simply because of their timezone, nor to think that capable volunteers would be flooding the site to contribute their time. I never suggested either of those. I did nothing more than point out the problem inherent with having resources concentrated around one timezone area. I am well aware of how recruitment works, there is no need to belittle me by spoonfeeding me obvious details.

    If there is a lack of moderators from outside the NA timezones, then that should have been mentioned in the call for applications. Small things like that matter.

    I do not see why it is more important to have the bulk of your resources available when the bulk traffic is around though. The reports aren't answered in real time any way. The only reason why it would be good was to allow faster reaction to front page infractions.

  3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #13
    Sentimental Machine Fiz's Avatar

    Weasyl
    Fiz
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,476
    Quote Originally Posted by xarg View Post
    If there is a lack of moderators from outside the NA timezones, then that should have been mentioned in the call for applications. Small things like that matter.
    Honestly, it's not something I personally realized until I actually moved out of America myself. We did ask for timezone/where the user lives though.

    Basically, everything Hendikins said, especially...

    Apparently the last group of moderator applicants contained 95 users. You'd be lucky if more than 10 of those were outside North America and Europe.
    I'm not gonna go back and count which applicants aren't in a NA timezone. I'm sure it was more than 10 but basically, not as many applicants outside of NA. And there is always the possibility that all of those that applied that aren't in a NA timezone won't be picked up as a moderator. Sucks, but it happens.

  4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #14
    Retired Staff Tiger's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Gender
    grrl
    Posts
    1,287
    Quote Originally Posted by xarg View Post
    I do not see why it is more important to have the bulk of your resources available when the bulk traffic is around though. The reports aren't answered in real time any way. The only reason why it would be good was to allow faster reaction to front page infractions.
    The thing about going through reports, though, is that sometimes we can't do them while the image is still on the front page. It's a process to work on and close a report, it's not as quick as just changing an image rating and closing it while it's on the front page. There are steps to take, and depending on the report it could be fixed easily and quickly or it could take longer. This is why some tickets may be open longer than others- not that we neglect the tickets, but we need more time to handle it properly.

    For anyone who would like to learn more about the report process, check out this thread- https://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/...ports-Updates!

  5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #15
    Sentimental Machine Fiz's Avatar

    Weasyl
    Fiz
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,476
    Also sometimes reports have a set time when they are actually handled. Like sometimes we give people a few days to edit the description of a submission to include their reference, stuff like that. That can also 'delay' the closing of the ticket itself.

    There's a lot of things that can make it so it takes a while to close a ticket, but none of that is ignoring it. Even if we close a ticket without needing to take any action on it, we tend to bring it up with staff just to make sure people are okay with it being closed.

  6. #16
    I don't know if there's a way to see our open tickets/reports, but if there is one, or one is being designed, an idea might be to have a way to mark a ticket as under review so we can see that you guys are in fact working on it. An extra step, yes, but the psychological effect of knowing it's actually being worked on should help us keep calm and carry on.

  7.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #17
    Sentimental Machine Fiz's Avatar

    Weasyl
    Fiz
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Socks the Fox View Post
    I don't know if there's a way to see our open tickets/reports, but if there is one, or one is being designed, an idea might be to have a way to mark a ticket as under review so we can see that you guys are in fact working on it. An extra step, yes, but the psychological effect of knowing it's actually being worked on should help us keep calm and carry on.
    Currently there isn't a way to view open reports for users. We might add something like that in the future though when we can set up a more automatic way to respond to people reporting stuff.

  8. #18
    The Lurking Wolfox Hendikins's Avatar

    Weasyl
    Hendikins
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia (usually)
    Gender
    Bloke
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by xarg View Post
    If there is a lack of moderators from outside the NA timezones, then that should have been mentioned in the call for applications. Small things like that matter.
    That would be all well and good, except for the general lack of users outside NA/EU. It's like going fishing in a lake that only has a handful of fish in it. You won't catch much.

    Quote Originally Posted by xarg View Post
    I do not see why it is more important to have the bulk of your resources available when the bulk traffic is around though. The reports aren't answered in real time any way. The only reason why it would be good was to allow faster reaction to front page infractions.
    Admittedly most of my background is from moderating on large forums (trust me, the only thing experience on FA is good for is learning how not to run an art site!). On forums reports can readily be actioned in close to real time, and this is the same for certain types of content removals on an art site (generally spam, the more blatant examples of art theft/harassment/trolling, etc.). It also makes it easier for site staff to communicate with each other about more complex removals and general site matters, and it reduces turnarounds with user communications much of the time (they're more likely to respond when they're there).

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiz View Post
    I'm not gonna go back and count which applicants aren't in a NA timezone. I'm sure it was more than 10 but basically, not as many applicants outside of NA. And there is always the possibility that all of those that applied that aren't in a NA timezone won't be picked up as a moderator. Sucks, but it happens.
    I'd expect more than 10 outside of NA, but I'd also expect most of the remainder to be EU. Basically anything outside UTC-8 to UTC+3 would be hard to get at this time.
    Last edited by Hendikins; 01-29-2014 at 06:56 PM.

  9. #19
    Regular xarg's Avatar
    Weasyl
    xarg
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by Folfykins View Post
    That would be all well and good, except for the general lack of users outside NA/EU. It's like going fishing in a lake that only has a handful of fish in it. You won't catch much.
    The whole premise of the problem was the lack of people outside the NA timezones. You're trying to piggyback the EU along with it and that gives the wrong image of what was being discussed. There should be a proportional number of moderators active during the EU prime time.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    The thing about going through reports, though, is that sometimes we can't do them while the image is still on the front page. It's a process to work on and close a report, it's not as quick as just changing an image rating and closing it while it's on the front page.
    This was exactly my point in saying that they are not handled real time.

  10. #20
    There are always going to be down times, even if they had mods covering all times of the day, that's just the way it is. It's not possible to have perfectly perfect coverage 100% of the time.

    This thread was mainly started as a curiosity, with a bit of concern, which has been allayed by the responses from the moderators. Especially knowing that they are currently in the process of recruiting more volunteers, it's a little counter-productive to continue to drag this conversation on when they've already acknowledged the "issue" and are in the process of rectifying it.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •