Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Avian Appreciation Thread

Avians need love too! <3

It used to be that there were very few avian characters to be found, but lately I have been seeing them pop up quite a lot.

Anybody have an avian character?
    Favorite avian species you've seen?
    What about real life pets; any bird lovers out there?
    Favorite avian artists? I know there are a few.
    Things you like/dislike about avian characters?

I definitely love being a bird-brain, but sometimes it's a little bothersome. I usually get one of two responses when I want to have my character drawn: "Ugh I can't possibly (or don't want to) draw a bird," or "Woah, now that's a challenge... I'll try it!" I definitely can understand, those beaks make conveying emotion pretty difficult.

Weasyl
    Bri Mercedes
    I love birds and the idea of flying! One of my most-drawn characters is the phoenix I have in my icon (https://www.weasyl.com/submission/37...ercy-reference). I love phoenixes. Griffons too.

I've got the same problem when it comes to expression and bird faces. I've been trying for so long to nail down a good way to draw expressive beaks.

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    I love drawing birds! This is something not obvious from looking at my gallery at the moment, alas, but I love the ferocity in the eyes of a raptor, and the scraggly charm of a grackle. Wings are a lot of fun to draw, too; I just love how detailed they are.

My favorite birds are the scrappy ones that gather in zoos and in parking lots. Crows and grackles aren't classically 'attractive' birds I guess, but crows are eerily smart and I just love the sheen of a grackle's feathers. I don't own any birds, though, as I don't think I have the temperament for it. I'll just admire them from afar.

What would vex me about having an anthro avian character would be this: wings and arms? Or arm-wings? Feather fingers, or claw fingers? (My preference would be arms/fingers that mirror the look of a bird's feet and separate wings, but I don't know if that screams 'look i have wings and arms, mary sue master race, yo!' or not.)

I don't think beaks make things too difficult, provided there's some squishin' room around the corners of the character's mouth. Or I guess if you just pick a personality from the get go and sort of pick an appropriate face/beak shape to go with it. I think it might be hard to convey a grin kind of expression, but open-mouthed glee is pretty cute too. :D

I should draw more birds. :>
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

Birds are one of my favorite things to draw and play with (If they let me)
    They are such smart and interesting creatures. Well not all of them are smart >.<
    So many varieties and different colors. I really enjoy watching birds interact with everyday items.
    I know someone who had a parrot, he was like a small child and so fun to interact with. I think its favorite toy was a rattle and toy with buttons that played music. He would always shake them around.

My favorite are birds of prey but I also like other birds like chickadee's and ducks which I feed by hand in the park
    I can't really think of a bird that I don't like off hand though I know there are some.

There is a nature house a bit of a drive away that has a display on about birds of prey and I am going to go and visit there so that I can interact with and draw the birds. I think it will be a lot of fun. I make it a habit to draw or study birds at least once a month.

Weasyl
    Rico
    I want a pet bird but I think it's going to wind up being impossible since I own two incredibly prey drivey cats. Maybe if I keep it in the bedroom but ehhh. I don't want to make it too scared with the cats outside or something like that. Dusky conure was my first choice.

I used to have some avian characters but none really "stuck", including a chicken and a cardinal. I'd like to make one eventually though that I'll actually use. It'll probably be a griffon, but i'unno what species. Probably a non bird of prey and a clouded leopard.
    avatar is by me forgetting to change this

Weasyl
    KumatoraKazooie
    I love birdies! They are so much fun to watch and listen too.

I'm actually working on a feathersona for myself based off of a Mountain Chickadee since they such are cute little balls of fluffy feathers and like me, they can't sit still for too long.
    Last edited by KumatoraKazooie; 01-28-2014 at 01:43 PM.

Weasyl
    thatbluetiger
    I think birds are fantastic, my favorite being little ones like chickadees and sparrows. I also like the bright pretty ones, like cardinals and bluejays. In fact, I considered making an alternate 'sona that is a bluejay :3

I work at a zoo and oftentimes I get to work the bird exhibit, where they fly free and can be fed and pet and stuff. Plus, cages full of budgies and cockatoos that like to walk on your shoulder. I'd love to own a parrot one day, one that I can take on adventures with me c: and that can talk of course.

Quote Originally Posted by thatbluetiger View Post
    I think birds are fantastic, my favorite being little ones like chickadees and sparrows. I also like the bright pretty ones, like cardinals and bluejays. In fact, I considered making an alternate 'sona that is a bluejay :3

I work at a zoo and oftentimes I get to work the bird exhibit, where they fly free and can be fed and pet and stuff. Plus, cages full of budgies and cockatoos that like to walk on your shoulder. I'd love to own a parrot one day, one that I can take on adventures with me c: and that can talk of course.
    I would also love to have a parrot but I feel sad because often they outlive their owners and then are homeless
    I think that's the saddest part about it. Otherwise I would have no issues with having a life long birdie buddy.

I am very jealous of my friend who own a hawk. He lives in another country though.

birdsbirdsbirdsbirdsbirdsbirds <3

-yes, my main character's a raven (obv I mean come on)
    -Ravens and peafowl are my favorite that I've seen.
    -Wish I could get an African Pied or something, but those fuckers are messy. Besides that, I've always had cats growing up, so no bird pets.
    -Hoot is the first that comes to mind, but there are lots more c:
    -Like: Wings and beaks and fluffbutts and ~everything~
    Dislike: Beaks are hard to show emotions with for some people. And shoulder wings.

Fuck shoulder wings.

Weasyl
    sassySloth
    Avians are super dank. My best furry friend is one of those.

If I ever make a second 'sona it will almost certainly be an avian. Or reptile. But I love teh burds.