Copy/Paste Discussion - Lazy or Valuable?

For clarification, when I mention 'Copy/Paste' in this thread it's in reference to using the exact same background or character image over multiple comic panels.

When seeing copy/paste techniques discussed, I usually read negative feedback. The technique is often referred to as a 'lazy', since the artist didn't take the time to draw each panel. However, I see several artists who choose a copy/paste technique to save time and maintain consistency.

I'm curious about your opinions on copy/pasting. Is it okay to do or a sign of a weak artist? Why do you love or hate the technique? When should this technique be utilized or avoided? What are examples of great and terrible copy/paste comics?

Weasyl
    QTMelon

3.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #3

Weasyl
    Fayv
    If it's highly involved and action packed then I think it's a weakness, As in showing the same punch a few times (like a repetitive cheaper anime).

For lighter stuff, particularly with panels that are meant to have very little change beyond expression, I don't think it's a weakness. It's focusing more time on the punchline or something than a part that is less important for that particular kind of comic.

Ever seen dinosaur comics? (Did that thing start as a running joke?)

I see copy/paste as a tool that can be used appropriately or not.

Order of the Stick is basically a bunch of parts copy pasted in many cases, and I don't think it's lazy. Mr Burlew puts a lot of work into his comics and the effects and things. All the characters are basically dolls that can be posed. (he probably actually has to spend more time on the backgrounds than any other part cause those are the parts that change most regularly)

If it's for a static background, I don't see it as a weakness, work smarter not harder.

If it's for something where the character is talking or moving though, that is laziness in most cases. But again, it can depend.

For me it depends on the style or feel of the comic~ Basically if it's a simple story or strip I don't mind if it has the same copy/pasted background as the characters are the focus and it's a simple style so it can actually take away from the comic if you do to much with backgrounds~ However, I think anything beyond that should at least try to focus on using different angels and views even if it's within the same setting, especially if you have characters talking for a long time, without the variety readers are likely to get bored very quickly....

So if it's meant to be simple then shortcuts like that flow nicely... but anything beyond that it just seems like the artist was to lazy/scared to try something new, even many chapters later if you use the same background there are still a lot of people that will notice, same with repeated poses and dialog~ That's when I start to lose interest in a comic~

Weasyl
    Harrie
    That comic Tanathe and Akreon on dA make uses a copy & paste technique, in that their backgrounds in similar locations utilise elements of previous panel backgrounds, but painted over to create new but consistant scenery.

Here we go, this is the speed paint they made showing it: http://akreon.deviantart.com/art/OFF...cess-416091659
    It's a very efficient technique and they pull it off well.

So I would say that as with any tool or technique it can be abused awfully, or when done right it becomes hardly noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrie View Post
    That comic Tanathe and Akreon on dA make uses a copy & paste technique, in that their backgrounds in similar locations utilise elements of previous panel backgrounds, but painted over to create new but consistant scenery.

Here we go, this is the speed paint they made showing it: http://akreon.deviantart.com/art/OFF...cess-416091659
    It's a very efficient technique and they pull it off well.

So I would say that as with any tool or technique it can be abused awfully, or when done right it becomes hardly noticeable.
    Now that I can see! They may be copy/pasting at first but in the end they create a totally new and interesting background~:3

Weasyl
    willy
    It kind of depends on how it's being used or for what purpose. I'd consider it lazy to copy and paste in a background if it's supposed to be more detailed and serious comic but it just looks like they put down a background and slapped some characters on top of it. Basically, if you copy and paste in backgrounds, they should try to fit the style of the comic.

Or just blur it a little :u

Weasyl
    FlynnCoyote
    I don't have a problem, as long as it's not overdone. As in used for the majority of panels.
    We'll find a reason, or else realize that we don't need one.

Weasyl
    N/A