Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Pet mentalities

Weasyl
    Rico
    Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    Well considering their energy levels you'd think they were.

It's short for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roborovski_hamster They are rather tiny, and harder to handle than Syrians due to their quick energy. I had thought about getting a dwarf or Robo but I'd need a smaller cage. My cages are for Syrians.

Honestly, I never hand-tamed my robo because of all of that. They're fast, fragile, and flighty. But it's easy to get him into a contained area because he'll willingly crawl into running balls and carriers. I like watching him more than anything and I think it's too late to really try and teach hand taming to him because it's just unnecessary stress at that point. I kind of want to get a pair of female gerbils after he passes away and actually take the time to hand tame them. I've owned rats, guinea pigs, and hamsters so they should be fairly easy to care for (at least in comparison to things like rats).
    However I may just give up rodents altogether and focus on reptiles due to their longer lifespans. I find reptiles more rewarding to work with but I do miss having cuddly rats sometimes too. hnngh.
    avatar is by me forgetting to change this

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Quote Originally Posted by Cseritos View Post
    Some countries and cultures eat horses. I have eaten horse, and I enjoyed it. This might upset some people. :\ But that's ok.
    My sister has owned horses so it's a bit harder for me to want to eat one. I don't blame others who do. I have had deer and was curious about how rabbit tastes but of course that's like eating Bambi and Thumper to many people (even though in other areas deer are actually considered a pest).

I also have owned birds. I am more of a bird and dog person, but because of my apartment I don't think I'd be able to keep a dog. Also, due to my work hours and living on my own, I'd feel bad because both dogs and birds are rather gregarious creatures.

So I stuck with animals who don't mind me being out because they're solitary. Though they love to come out and watch me as much as I watch them.
    Last edited by QT Melon; 01-28-2014 at 02:35 PM.

I would totally eat a guinea pig if given the opportunity...but not if it was someones pet.

Most of us probably consume horse without even realizing it, it's surprising how much gelatin is used in things as filler and stuff. >.> I'll admit though I don't think I'd eat dog or cat, which is fine cause I've heard they aren't especially tasty anyway. (If I had to kill anything myself to eat it I would have to go vegetarian, but I already have trouble keeping a healthy weight/diet without taking meat out of it so there's no way I'm switching).

Now bee keeping, that sounds really cool, I don' think I could do it, but I find it and really any form of animal husbandry to be quite fascinating.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    I've got a friend who raises guinea pigs for meat. I think she has the most "realistic" (subjective, I know) view about pet raising than anybody else I know.
    She sees rabbits as pets and a food source, and that's something that I wish more people would do, considering how massively overpopulated pet rabbits are in shelters and Craigslist across North America.

Weasyl
    Ratte
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamedog View Post
    I've got a friend who raises guinea pigs for meat. I think she has the most "realistic" (subjective, I know) view about pet raising than anybody else I know.
    She sees rabbits as pets and a food source, and that's something that I wish more people would do, considering how massively overpopulated pet rabbits are in shelters and Craigslist across North America.
    Rabbit is pretty tasty and lean. I kinda wish rabbit meat was more "acceptable" here in the US since there are just so bloody many of them and they multiply like, well, rabbits. Not like you'll have a shortage with meat-raising stock.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratte View Post
    Rabbit is pretty tasty and lean. I kinda wish rabbit meat was more "acceptable" here in the US since there are just so bloody many of them and they multiply like, well, rabbits. Not like you'll have a shortage with meat-raising stock.
    I agree. That issue would be non-existant if more people were open to eating them, there would never be rabbits in shelters lol.
    I'd even go far enough to say that rabbits aren't really good pets at all for most people, most people want a pet they can hug and snuggle and most rabbits won't offer that. So they give up their rabbit because it's "mean" when it kicks them for picking it up, when the poor thing could be made into a dinner and a really warm pair of gloves for free.

Rabbit meat is so lean that you can "starve" if you live off of it... weird huh?

It's not really starving, it's more like a combination of malnutrition and poisoning, we need certain fats to survive and rabbit meat absolutely lacks those fats. And too much of anything (in the case of rabbit Protein) is going to be a problem.

I wasn't aware that there was a problem with eating rabbits in America, but I've known people that would happily fry up a young squirrel and eat it (I'd probably be happy to join them honestly). So maybe I just have a different experience in that area than others?

That said, I do have hang ups with eating anything that someone is emotionally attached to. It feels a little rude to buy animals intended to be companion animals for the purpose of eating them, and I definitely wouldn't eat something that someone else had an attachment too.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenith View Post
    It's not really starving, it's more like a combination of malnutrition and poisoning, we need certain fats to survive and rabbit meat absolutely lacks those fats. And too much of anything (in the case of rabbit Protein) is going to be a problem.

I wasn't aware that there was a problem with eating rabbits in America, but I've known people that would happily fry up a young squirrel and eat it (I'd probably be happy to join them honestly). So maybe I just have a different experience in that area than others?

That said, I do have hang ups with eating anything that someone is emotionally attached to. It feels a little rude to buy animals intended to be companion animals for the purpose of eating them, and I definitely wouldn't eat something that someone else had an attachment too.
    Yeah that's why I put it in quotes. I forget the actual term for it, but it can happen if you live off of deer as well. I imagine it would be the same with goat meat..?? Goat is pretty lean as well.

For the most part, people in North America view rabbits as cute little Easter presents and nothing else, the thought of eating a poor little fluffy rabbit will get you called a murderer!! How dare you!!!!
    Then there's people who breed them purely for meat, who can't really understand why people mass breed them as pets and have to dump them off at the shelter because they're overpopulated, hahha.
    'Course, a breed like a dwarf or a Lionhead probably wouldn't be good eating...

I really hate that "Easter Bunny" thing (or the owl thing when Harry Potter was first popular, or the Dalmation thing when 101 Dalmations was popular), it makes me crazy that people can't be responsible pet owners at all. I am aware of the pet rabbit population problem somewhat, just not the part where people don't consider rabbits (in general) ok to eat. I'd say it must be regional, but I've lived in many parts of the US and the places I haven't visited I've met people.

I do believe you though, just the same that lots of people would think it awful if I openly told them I'd totally eat a guinea pig if given the opportunity.

I DO have a friend that kept a rabbit for a really long time, he was litter trained, and she basically let him roam the house and stuff when she was home. But she's the only responsible rabbit owner I've ever met in person. She recently got a new one (the old one was...reallllyyyyy olllld).

Weasyl
    Ratte
    From what I've seen, generally the rabbits bred for meat are flemish giants or californians, two very large breeds. I'm sure some rabbits are alright as pets but rabbits are pretty dumb and aren't animals that are super cuddly or affectionate in most cases. They remind me a lot of mice-- they're just sort of there.

My very first pet ever was a rabbit but we didn't have him for long since he was given to someone else after a while. He was actually pretty spunky and had a lot of personality. Usually, though, you're not as lucky, and a lot of "pocket pets" are just cute to look at without having much to them. Some hamsters and gerbils can have personality, as can some rabbits, but I can say that from having a lot of them, rats are hella smart and have a lot of really great personalities, plus they're very loving and affectionate to boot. Despite their short lifespans, I'd much rather have rats than mice, rabbits, hamsters, or gerbils.