Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Pet mentalities

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk

Pet mentalities

How do people treat pets where you live? Are you one of those people who would spend thousands for surgery on your chihuahua or would you let it die? Is your pet a member of your family or is it just a pet?

Where I live, in the woods, people get dogs for practical purposes; when you go take walks in the wood, it's always safer to have a dog with you to warn you that something's nearby. Inside, dogs are expected to stay calm and move when they're told to; when they aren't simply left outside. Letting a dog stay inside is a fairly new thing, in my grandma's generation dogs stayed outside or in barns day and night. If your dog breaks a leg or something, if it costs more than the dog's worth, people usually won't pay for it and the dog will must either heal with time, get used to it or it'll be put down since it's now useless; we do NOT pay thousands for surgeries... or get surgeries at all; these are reserved for people. If your dog dies, you can just get a new one for free anyway so I don't see why you'd pay anything to fix it in the first place.

If the dog doesn't behave or annoys you and won't get tamed, you just dump it in the woods and it'll get eaten by the wild animals (we have foxes, wolves, lynxes, pumas, bears and coyotes) at night; this is also why we have literally no stray animals.

This only applies in areas beyond rural, though. I don't know how it's like in the cities. So, how is it where you live?
    Last edited by Taw; 01-27-2014 at 01:52 PM. Reason: changing wording

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    I'm in cushy suburbia-land, so while there's a bunch of folks who will espouse that 'it's just a ____, who cares how it's treated?' or use dogs for fighting rings, most folks treat their animals like family here. Animal shelters work hard to place animals, private rescues volunteer their time and money to match animals with good homes, and all that. Strays are a problem, and animals who are old/sick/aggressive (or simply unable to be placed) are put down, but it's a last resort.

I do think some breeds are much happier as working dogs, or else you have to exercise them for hours a day just to keep them happy. And I wish more people would consider breed traits before bringing home a dog like a husky, and wondering why they have this gorgeous-looking terror eating their house and dragging them down the street on walks.

My dog's a miniature poodle that I got from the pound (so no clues as to his heritage, but probably some puppy mill or careless backyard breeder somewhere) and he has allergies, bad knees, and a sensitive stomach. From a practical standpoint, he's useless, except as a watch dog. (And based on his reaction to being near a few caged rats, I can rest relatively assured that he will drive me up the wall if he ever detects rodents in the house. I'm not sure what he'd do if he caught one.)

But he's so attached to me and I'm so attached to him, he is pretty much my small, four-legged child. He lets me carry him like a toddler, and he falls asleep on my chest. I come home and he acts like it is the highlight of his freakin' day, and if I'm being honest, seeing him is the highlight of my day, too.

I would pay for an expensive surgery if it were to correct a problem that could be corrected (like an intestinal blockage or a broken bone) but if it were something chronic and questionable to treat (like cancer) I would spare him the suffering and just have him put down.

In my darkest days, his stupid fuzzy face has been the only reason I didn't do something stupid to myself, so I'm glad he's here. We saved each other, as doofy as that sounds.
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

Weasyl
    Chuchi
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgonops View Post
    I would pay for an expensive surgery if it were to correct a problem that could be corrected (like an intestinal blockage or a broken bone) but if it were something chronic and questionable to treat (like cancer) I would spare him the suffering and just have him put down.
    A few months ago, my mother had to do this. I can honestly say I have never seen her mourn like that, except for when a person died, so her grief was comparable. She loved that dog like it was her furry son.

Also, it's not doofy. ♥

I can't account for much of Finnish mentality, but from what I've seen, I would lean towards the relationship being friendly and the animal being treated much like family. At least in the areas I have been, pets have seemed as such. I see many dogs, as there are a lot of active Finns out walking about with their pets. I've seen plenty of cats prowling about, but they all look healthy and cared for, so I assume these are 'country cats.' This is at least from my own perspective. I've only lived here for... about 9 months, but my time here has been spent in a small town/country setting, and not in a larger city. While I have been to the capitol a few times, I imagine the mentality might differ a bit, with more people and more cultural influence.

Back in the US, I lived in Wisconsin. It was quite the same, in the city, animals were members of the family, even if they were service animals. In the country, it leaned a little more towards how you described, more practical, but the animals were still regarded highly and 'pampered,' I guess you could say. I have no experience from the 'deep woods.' I lived in the city most of my American life. My parents owned a dog and I swear, they treated that dog nicer than me sometimes, I'm not even exaggerating. The people I have known that lived in the country still pampered their dogs, but they did serve more practical purpose, such as guarding livestock and the property. Wisconsin is a state with a big focus on hunting, so there were quite a few hunting dogs, and while they were rigidly trained, I think they were quite pampered too. I've also had some experience and exposure (thankfully not on the receiving end) to dogs in the law enforcement setting, canine officers. They have their moments of pamper, but they are raised with a much more rigid focus on their training and obedience to their handler. To their handler, they are a partner.

Personally, I think domestic animals usually become like members of the family when I own them. I baby them, plaaaain and simple. I might still have a practical idea, such as my dog being able to alert me to things wrong in the home and to guard it while the family is away, but they are a pet and companion first, before a security system. I have not owned labor animals or livestock, only animals considered pets. I imagine that, even if I owned such creatures, I would likely still become attached. And I would pamper them!

While I might not particularly enjoy the reality you have presented, I accept it. That is, so to say, a cultural difference. I was raised in the city, where you were raised in the woods, and I can see the differences. I know of a few instances in big cities where dogs were purchased for more practical purposes than just being pets, ie. protection outside, home protection, etc. I know also that animals considered pets can be food sources for others. To me, the animal becomes family, and if they are sick and injured, just as I would any member of my family, I do what I can to help them. Coincidentally, my dog was born from two country dogs, and is now living the life of a spoiled, pampered house pet. :3
    Last edited by Chuchi; 01-27-2014 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Quote Insertion, unf!
    ╭━━━━━━━━━━━━━━╮
    Something interesting about myself.
    ╰━━━━━━━━━━━━━━╯

4.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #4

Weasyl
    Fayv
    I treat my cat like family. I live in an apartment complex and got her as an emotional support animal, she's meant to be a companion for life. I pay to be sure she has good food and litter, I've paid to be sure she gets to the vet regularly and has the pet tracker thing even though she's indoor only, I paid a shit ton to get her home with me for christmas, and if she gets sick i'll probably pay a bunch to be sure she's well cared for.

But that's why I got her, she's someone around for years who greets me at the door and actively loves every thing about me. It's only fair for me to give her the best life possible.

Weasyl
    Tango
    Quote Originally Posted by Fay V View Post
    I treat my cat like family. I live in an apartment complex and got her as an emotional support animal, she's meant to be a companion for life. I pay to be sure she has good food and litter, I've paid to be sure she gets to the vet regularly and has the pet tracker thing even though she's indoor only, I paid a shit ton to get her home with me for christmas, and if she gets sick i'll probably pay a bunch to be sure she's well cared for.

But that's why I got her, she's someone around for years who greets me at the door and actively loves every thing about me. It's only fair for me to give her the best life possible.
    Confirmed for crazy cat lady in 3...2....

I'm joking. I have two cats (Kobold and Goblin) that I treat the same way. Since me, Vizaxyn, and Brace do not want kids those two kitties are pretty much our 'kids'.
    Courage, truth, honor, fidelity, discipline, hospitality, self-reliance, industriousness, and perseverance are pretty good traits to live by, don't you think?

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    I own small pets like hamsters, due to their very short life spans, I would not pay too much if one gets sick. Well I did for one to get antibiotics which was fine because he was young at the time. However, a lot of surgery is very expensive and doesn't really extend their already short life span. I do stay with my hammies when I know it is their time to expire when I can.

They live in cages which put together is about the size of 20gallon tank with activities to do, such as tunnels, and the wheels. I take them out for small periods of time to get used to me handling them. Hamsters are not really "Cuddly" creatures as they're in fear for their lives being the prey of many other animals.

I keep my "conversations" short with hamsters. They do all know their own name. They will come out when I call it, though certain phrases they may like more.

For example Tanuki loves when I call him "little boy"

They are also learning key words like "Ball" so they tend to perk now when I mention the ball.

I try to respect their space. Hamsters are very territorial so you have to be a bit more smart with cage cleaning. If you get a new one, leave their cage along for at least 2 weeks but do water and food changes when necessary. They need to mark their territory, and will rub against it using their hip spots. If there's a particular spot that gets really dirty I will clean it. There's also a time you have to "potty train" your hamster.

Hamsters will set up one spot to pee. I observe them carefully to see where they will choose that spot. I then take the dirty litter and move it into the pod I have set up for potty. It's small clay balls where they can urinate in. I then spray the area where they first urinated in and clean it to remove the smell. This gets them to realize their pod is a good spot for potty. The reason I do this is so that I can change the pod once a week, instead of messing with the rest of the cage, so that it keeps them a bit happier between cage cleanings.

So I guess I treat my hamsters with a little more respect though with understanding of their short life spans ...and not simply the most "disposable pet"

Weasyl
    Rico
    ^Weirdly enough, I have a robo hamster right now that's almost 4! I'm surprised its gone so long and has never needed any vet care. What a trooper. :3
    avatar is by me forgetting to change this

Weasyl
    Dire Newt
    People around here just put their dogs outside and let them roam the streets. It's a wonder that there hasn't been an accident recently because they like to run out in front of cars and bark at them. I consider my dogs members of the family, so they're inside the house often. I usually only keep them outside on a run if I have to go somewhere.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    I tend to not treat dogs as spoiled as I would say.. a cat. Spoiling and babying a dog leads to undesired behaviour, not so much with a cat. I treat and consider my pets as family members, but I do not get delusional and consider them mini-children.
    I believe both deserve vet care and healthy diets, and I believe that there's nothing wrong with a dog being tethered outdoors, as long as it receives adequate, warm housing and access to water 24/7.

I think most people here don't like tethering dogs and feel that cats "like being outside", cats are seen as disposable, dogs are babied, vets charge out the ass because they can.
    Last edited by Gamedog; 01-27-2014 at 10:14 PM.

Weasyl
    Tiido
    Our family dog has got a fair bit of money put into surgeries and medications. Nasty bites from other dogs, car accidents... you name it. He will be 15 in March, age has been starting to show itself on him.
    I cannot say how other people treat their pets in my area though, hopefully just as well as us.