Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Weasyl
    Tybalt
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeitzbach View Post
    I really have to do something about the purple lizard then. Having him feel homesick after running away and learning that his people already moved away probably isn't enough, not to mention I have no real knowledge when it comes to tracking either so writing that kind of chapter is out.
    You can actually keep homesickness if you want, there are ways to pull that off

It could be a coming of age story. His home village could be his childhood, a safety net that he seeks to go back to but must overcome if he wants to "grow up". While tracking down his people he would be presented through some event with two options: continue to selfishly search for his tribe or devote himself to vanquishing some greater evil (something to make the "morally good" option to coincide with accepting he may never find his village again)

just some ideas, you don't have to throw everything out <3

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    Yeah, I gave it some thought again for the whole night and decided to throw stuffs here and there.

I tried linking how he ran away and went against the "no leaving" rule with the random bandit in his intro.
    The bandit later found his home using his old track and attacked it. Although the people was successful in defending it, the elder he loved was killed.
    The people moved.
    He later got home sick and tried to find his home. After some search chapters, he finally found it only to be greeted by his old friend (the elder son) who told him of how he caused the elder's death and that he received "Banish" punishment.
    I could then spend a chapter or so showing how he tried to deal with what happened. His friends would then be like "You still have a home, with us" warm cliche crap. This warm cliche crap could then be link to another major char arc later.

I actually had fun connecting the dots to avoid hitting a block.

Weasyl
    Stush
    This thread reminds me of how like, when I was a teenager, I liked making my characters super powerful and awesome at everything, and as I got older, I naturally just started giving them more flaws and making them less perfect, because that felt more real to me. Like if I give a character super strength, I need to give them something to counter-act that.

Weasyl
    MakePupsNotWar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stush View Post
    This thread reminds me of how like, when I was a teenager, I liked making my characters super powerful and awesome at everything, and as I got older, I naturally just started giving them more flaws and making them less perfect, because that felt more real to me. Like if I give a character super strength, I need to give them something to counter-act that.
    I like to think I had a similar progression, although perhaps even a little more extreme. I don't even really make combat oriented characters these days, the closest one would be somebody who's really good at stealth! Everybody else is old or pacifistic or just plain uncoordinated. Hmm...maybe I should take a crack at making a balanced badass one of these days.
    Yeah? well, y'know...that's just like, your opinion, man.

Like Chess? Play with me! Just drop me a PM whenever you're down. I have a chess.com account, and I can also set up a game with you on lichess (no subscription process or login required) whenever you like.