Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38
  1. #1
    Senior Ruggy's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Ruggy
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    DFW area, Texas
    Gender
    LADY
    Posts
    481

    WIP - HORSE-PUNCH! (It is a horse punching a thing.)

    Last edited by Ruggy; 02-04-2014 at 07:36 PM.
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

  2. #2
    O i think you have the footwork backwards.
    While you can punch like this usually a heavy blow is dealt in such a manner that
    For a right handed person...
    You would jab withe the left so that foot would already be in front, to deal a heavier blow, you would step in hard on the left foot, twist your hips and your shoulder inwards and the punch hard with the right.
    Perhaps this is why the stance looks a bit awkward.
    I would also instinctively pull my left hand more towards my shoulder and add some more curve to the forearm on the right to match the angle of his fist.
    Those were my first thoughts when looking at this picture.

    So far the head and the upper body look really great to me. You'll have to twist it if you change the footing though.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammacha View Post
    O i think you have the footwork backwards.
    While you can punch like this usually a heavy blow is dealt in such a manner that
    For a right handed person...
    You would jab withe the left so that foot would already be in front, to deal a heavier blow, you would step in hard on the left foot, twist your hips and your shoulder inwards and the punch hard with the right.
    Perhaps this is why the stance looks a bit awkward.
    I would also instinctively pull my left hand more towards my shoulder and add some more curve to the forearm on the right to match the angle of his fist.
    Those were my first thoughts when looking at this picture.

    So far the head and the upper body look really great to me. You'll have to twist it if you change the footing though.
    Depends. Generally the big power punches are indeed how you describe, but you're more than able to switch your legwork up to throw an opponent off balance, and to be able to get in quick jabs with your dominant hand. The risk with crossing is it can be slow enough to let your opponent glance the blow or dodge it, while being able to get a crushing hit in while you're extended and more vulnerable. I've seen it go either way in live fights and stuff. A good boxer will be shifty on his footwork. They want to keep their opponents guessing, and always be moving. The cross you describe is definitely a "money shot", though, with the most KO power along with uppercuts.

    I'll make sure my horse buddy has a look later today, and see if he has anything to say. Otherwise you know I'm diggin' this!

  4. #4
    Retired Staff piņardilla's Avatar

    Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Gender
    Claims to be a porpoise.
    Posts
    1,287
    Last edited by piņardilla; 01-27-2014 at 09:13 AM.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

  5. #5
    Senior Ruggy's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Ruggy
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    DFW area, Texas
    Gender
    LADY
    Posts
    481
    Haha, I suppose technically the title should've been "horse jab", as that is indeed what I was drawing, but "Horse-punch" sounded so much snappier. P:

    His footwork and position is about right for a jab, though indeed wrong for a reverse-punch (or at least that's what they call it at my dojo) buuut if it doesn't read right as it is, he can be re-positioned. Now that I think about it, I suppose he would have to be a really strong dude to move a bag with a jab, but I could either shrink the bag to make it look like one of those lighter teardrop-shaped ones, or just redraw him entirely. Thoughts?
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

  6. #6
    Retired Staff piņardilla's Avatar

    Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Gender
    Claims to be a porpoise.
    Posts
    1,287
    The moving bag does do a lot to imply power behind the punch, and I think its positioning also led me to read the horse-dude as swinging his body into it. I dragged another window over the bag and the pose did look more jab-like, so I think you could fix it just by re-doing the bag.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgonops View Post
    Haha, I suppose technically the title should've been "horse jab", as that is indeed what I was drawing, but "Horse-punch" sounded so much snappier. P:

    His footwork and position is about right for a jab, though indeed wrong for a reverse-punch (or at least that's what they call it at my dojo) buuut if it doesn't read right as it is, he can be re-positioned. Now that I think about it, I suppose he would have to be a really strong dude to move a bag with a jab, but I could either shrink the bag to make it look like one of those lighter teardrop-shaped ones, or just redraw him entirely. Thoughts?

    I think changing the size of the bag and making his arm look less like hook shot would give the idea of a powerful jab.

    The bag and the hand was giving me the impression that he was going for a powerful KO. Maybe re-do the bag and see how it looks?
    It shouldn't take nearly as long go draw the bag over the body and legs lol

    Wouldn't you pull your arm in tighter? Hmm I guess it depends on the fighting style. I will look later.


    And yes Rory, anything can work in the ring with skill and a touch of luck. : P
    The pose implied to me that he was doing his money-shot

  8. #8
    Premium User QT Melon's Avatar


    Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,478

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgonops View Post
    Haha, I suppose technically the title should've been "horse jab", as that is indeed what I was drawing, but "Horse-punch" sounded so much snappier. P:

    His footwork and position is about right for a jab, though indeed wrong for a reverse-punch (or at least that's what they call it at my dojo) buuut if it doesn't read right as it is, he can be re-positioned. Now that I think about it, I suppose he would have to be a really strong dude to move a bag with a jab, but I could either shrink the bag to make it look like one of those lighter teardrop-shaped ones, or just redraw him entirely. Thoughts?
    Horse punch does indeed sound a lot snappier.

    Well, making the bag smaller would probably save you a heck of a lot of work. Since this was just a request, I'm totally chill with that, because the rest looks hella solid as far as I'm concerned. Would be a shame to redraw it just to show a different punch to correlate with the current bag.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    Horse punch does indeed sound a lot snappier.

    Well, making the bag smaller would probably save you a heck of a lot of work. Since this was just a request, I'm totally chill with that, because the rest looks hella solid as far as I'm concerned. Would be a shame to redraw it just to show a different punch to correlate with the current bag.
    Hey its not really a shame, its a learning curve, one mistake made difficult to correct is one not forgotten.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •