Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #21

Weasyl
    Matt
    The last two books I've read and reread have been these:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Escaped-My.../dp/B0042JSPTI

My favorite standup comedian detailing his former acts with absolute, precise ignition with regard to how ridiculous it is to have that process published. He's a smart man, saying funny things with a staggering level of self-awareness. I can't think of another example of this kind of shit.

Second book is this: http://www.amazon.com/Disgusting-Bli...s=Chris+Morris

Chris Morris is my hero, and any attempt to understand his stuff is remarkable alone. One that has been sanctioned by the man with 40 seconds of his time is invaluable. It's a story worth publish. I'm just kinda upset that that story seems to have ended.
    Look at all the fun we're having.

Weasyl
    EGKangaroo
    I lately re-read The Catcher in the Rye, after I watched John Green's analysis of the book. I did enjoy reading it a lot more than I did the first time. I did notice new things in the book that my eyes must have sort of skipped over, so it was a cool thing revisiting those chapters and reading it with fresh eyes.

And currently, I picked up one of Philip Pullman's books. The Northern Lights (The Golden Compass in USA). I remembered watching the movie, and liking it a lot, and it was one of those books that a very good friend of mine recommended it way back. I absolutely love it so far!

Quote Originally Posted by EGKangaroo View Post
    And currently, I picked up one of Philip Pullman's books. The Northern Lights (The Golden Compass in USA). I remembered watching the movie, and liking it a lot, and it was one of those books that a very good friend of mine recommended it way back. I absolutely love it so far!
    Ooh, His Dark Materials was a fantastic series. One of my teenage favorites, by far; never saw the movies because I wanted to always imagine the world in my head, my way. The books were just awesome and inspiring. If you really end up enjoying them, I'd also suggest you take a look at David Clement-Davies. Stuff like Firebringer and The Sight were also other favorites of mine.

Man, I've done SO much reading since I've gotten a Kindle.

I started off with the Game of Thrones series by George RR Martin, which was undoubtedly my favorite series ever to read. I can't even begin to describe how well they were written, especially with all the foreshadowing that you don't realize at the time and look back at later and just have your mind blown with. I had seen 2 seasons of the show before starting them, so I knew some things to expect going in and was pleasantly surprised at the small deviations. I can't wait for him to release the 6th book. Soon.jpg.

From there, I went with the Warriors series of kittycat books by Erin Hunter and loved them. Don't judge me. They're like my guilty pleasure. They're also surprisingly well written (and poorly edited) for books aimed mainly at kids.

After reading all bajillion Warriors books, I read The Dark Tower series by Stephen King and....wow. I didn't know any story could suck me in that deep. I literally couldn't put them down until I was done with all 8 of them. Just, fantastic. Right up there with LOTR and GOT as my favorite series. I'd recommend these to everyone I possibly could.

After a bit of soul searching, I realized I still hadn't read the Harry Potter series,s o my girlfriend badgered me into reading that. It was much better than I expected it to be, seeing as I saw the first movie when I was a kid and HATED it. Recently rewatched that too and didn't mind it. I guess my tastes changed. Not quite a favorite like Dark Tower or GOT, but wizards are p cool.

Now, I'm looking for another series to buy and read. I'm thinking potentially starting the Jack Reacher books after loving the Tom Cruise movie about it. Anyone read them that could give me a review?

Also, haven't read the thread yet, gonna go do that now.
    Last edited by Jashwa; 02-03-2014 at 04:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jashwa View Post
    Man, I've done SO much reading since I've gotten a Kindle.
    Ahh, me too! Purchasing a book and having it instantly availalble (and lightweight!) has made it easier for me to enjoy my old favorite hobby haha.

I just got Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson, and I'm looking forward to starting it
    Last edited by Nattles; 03-11-2014 at 07:56 PM.

Bumping the thread because AAAAAAAHHHH I read Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn and I really loved it. I've only read the first book so far. I think I'll take a break before I read the rest of the trilogy so I can let the first one sink in. The beginning was a bit slow, and some of Sanderson's characters felt too stiff or under-developed. Vin was probably the best-developed character, despite initially playing second fiddle to the grating Kelsier. Elend was shockingly boring and "stock character," so it felt kinda lame for him to play a major role at the end of the novel. Still, complaints aside, it was a very fun novel. The magic system was fun, and Sanderson gives the first novel a satisfying finish while leaving enough questions unanswered for the next book.

I've also been reading C.S. Lewis's Mere Christianity, Edith Patou's East (combining East of the Sun, West of the Moon and the tale of Cupid and Psyche), and Jim Butcher's Dresden Files: Summer Knight. I'm getting busy again, so I don't expect to finish any of these anytime soon.
    Last edited by Nattles; 03-11-2014 at 08:05 PM.

Weasyl
    MEEHOO
    Stephen King !
    I just finished reading misery for the second time and now im reading geralds game which is an interesting one
    He can make the most mundane simple thing full of suspense

Weasyl
    Kelly
    While I haven't been reading like I should because of pure laziness and being addicted to the computer a lot, I have been reading the first Hunger Games book (on the side).