Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Books/Literature - What have you been reading lately?

Title explains it all. What kind of books have you been reading lately for leisure, entertainment, and enlightenment? Was it a good book, was it crap? Opine on them here.

Last whole book I read was "The Guns of August", a historical monograph by Barbara Tuchman. It basically went over the events directly leading up to World War I and explained how it basically changed the face of warfare forever. Was a very good read, though I had to read through it pretty fast for a school assignment. Tuchman actually won a Pulitzer for it, and the award was deserved I think.

Weasyl
    Ratte
    Coping with Stress in a Changing World. :V V:

So far it's a bunch of crap but that's what I expected for an online class called "Stress Management" huehuehue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratte View Post
    Coping with Stress in a Changing World. :V V:

So far it's a bunch of crap but that's what I expected for an online class called "Stress Management" huehuehue.
    Yeah, the book is very preachy and toots its own damn horn. The "stress risk assessment" tests and shit in it feel contrived and shallow. I've taken Internet personality tests that felt more meaningful.

Weasyl
    Pine
    I just got finished with Maus Part II by Art Spiegelman. The cartoon is a pretty creative way of expressing the effects of the Holocaust as well as the author's relationship with his father.

The next book I'm going to read is called The Disaster Artist. It was written by the guy who plays Mark in The Room, and it's apparently about his experience while filming the movie and how batshit crazy Tommy Wisaeu is.

Despite being an avid reader, the last thing I fully, and truly, read was Frankenstein, all the way back in October. I'm sure almost everyone here has read it. It was for a school assignment, but I thought it pretty interesting. I'm looking at reading The Canterbury Tales here soon though, as I do have a personal copy that's begging to be opened.

Weasyl
    willy
    I've only really had time to read books for school. One of which is this thriller/horror story called "Schnitt". It's entirely in German :B

As far as reading for fun, I'm pretty sure the last book I read on my own was the Fault in Our Stars and let me tell you, that one was a doozy to read.
    It was a good book but at the same time it's so heavy at certain parts that reading it is actually a feat in itself.

Just a heads up, this is probably going to get merged with the thread about books in the Writing and Literature forum. I tried bumping it up a few days ago, but no one pays attention to that one really. In fact I think it was a thread from here originally, then got moved.

Anyway, I'll just say it again, but I'm still getting pretty deep into my Tom Clancy novel, Dead or Alive. Good to read in quick chunks, and I love political/military thrillers. His books are always incredibly informative about how things really work in real life, too.

Weasyl
    Tiido
    Last book I read is "Raadiolülitused" by Lembit Abo... it is tech literature, about radios, filters, amps, acoustics, power supplies and whole bunch of other stuff. Electronics are hobby and passion of mine ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    Just a heads up, this is probably going to get merged with the thread about books in the Writing and Literature forum. I tried bumping it up a few days ago, but no one pays attention to that one really. In fact I think it was a thread from here originally, then got moved.
    This seriously seems to plague a lot of writing sections on furry sites. People neglect them. It's kinda sad. :c

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    This seriously seems to plague a lot of writing sections on furry sites. People neglect them. It's kinda sad. :c
    Yeah. x.x And music too, haha, we're brothers in arms like that. I really do wish for this thread to stay here, so people actually reply! I scoured the forums a few days ago because I was going to make this thread (I had been super excited about finally getting back into reading since graduation), but then I saw that books one, so blah. Hoping for the best. Maybe we can make the other one about literature for literature's sake, and keep this one more of a "What are you reading now?" deal.