Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Daily studies?

Weasyl
    Sparkyopteryx
    Lovely landscape speedpaints here, OP! As for daily studies and practice for me, it varies widely. Sometimes it's simplistic thumbnails when I'm working out pose and composition, sometimes it's expression practice...runs the gamut really. Sadly there are not enough hours in the day for me to do studies daily, but usually every day I'm at least working on a project if I'm not doing simple or quick stuff. I've found quick and fun studies and doodles are great for limbering up, but (at least for me) it's like junkfood. If I do them to the exclusion of more complete work I feel like I haven't been doing anything productive. Sketches help you learn, but what is the point of knowledge if you don't apply it to something complex once in a while, you know?

On the topic of speedpaints, I do them because I feel like I need to broaden my knowledge on how landscapes need to be formatted in general. It's not a race to see how fast I can get something done, it's about attempting to get a composition down quickly and being able to push my understanding of color in a short period of time. Sometimes the paints take me as little as 30 minutes and other times I spend as long as an hour and a half tweaking things. Which in hindsight isn't all that long, but they're not meant to be stressful studies. Just things to get me to learn landscapes casually since it's not a great emphasis I want to worry about atm. Just fun for me to destress and broaden my knowledge, I've def been learning a lot about how mountains are shaped from these! (Mountains give me so much trouble you have no idea)

I think gesture drawings are going to be a thing I start doing soon. I know somebody who is AMAZING and one thing he was told to do was just to take a ink pen or a ballpoint and do some gestures on copy paper. Really improved his work!
    Weasyl | DeviantART | Tumblr
    Always open for commission!

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMeeper View Post
    On the topic of speedpaints, I do them because I feel like I need to broaden my knowledge on how landscapes need to be formatted in general. It's not a race to see how fast I can get something done, it's about attempting to get a composition down quickly and being able to push my understanding of color in a short period of time. Sometimes the paints take me as little as 30 minutes and other times I spend as long as an hour and a half tweaking things. Which in hindsight isn't all that long, but they're not meant to be stressful studies. Just things to get me to learn landscapes casually since it's not a great emphasis I want to worry about atm. Just fun for me to destress and broaden my knowledge, I've def been learning a lot about how mountains are shaped from these! (Mountains give me so much trouble you have no idea)

I think gesture drawings are going to be a thing I start doing soon. I know somebody who is AMAZING and one thing he was told to do was just to take a ink pen or a ballpoint and do some gestures on copy paper. Really improved his work!
    That is how I feel that speedpaints are supposed to be it's really gesture with color.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I doodle whatever pops in my head. From something I saw on tv, or just look outside my window & make shapes in the trees till something pops up. I was doing timed gestures for awhile, and though they did help I've stopped for now. Maybe I should get back into that though, it's good to keep in practice heh.

I have way too many random doodles or things i am trying to draw/ learning to draw it stacks up like mad sometimes. Ir think a good way for me to learn is... No eraser allowed, or no undo. I do those alot.