Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Daily studies?

Weasyl
    Mayhem
    Daily Studies = Practice

Anything from sketching things you need to work on, to just getting something down from your mind.

No matter what its practice and practice is what makes us improve.

I would do studies when I wanted to improve. Working on what I know needs to be improved. My art would seem to suddenly evolve when i went back to doing my character again. If an artist wants to improve, doing dailies and/or focusing on something you dont know will improve them dramatically

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Since I am a beta tester for Corel Painter I will often experiment a lot with a brush to learn from it. I may not be able to do a full study but I will just learn how to do better mark making.

I haven't been able to do daily studies in the last few months because of excessive work, but I always liked to do warmups like 15 minute speedpaints as a way to experiment.

Weasyl
    Mayhem
    I guess it might be time for me to resurrect the monthly speed paint challenge since we have new people now and its becoming more active

Insert Witty Comment Here AndiGreyScale's Avatar
    Weasyl
    AndiGreyScale
    I try to practice what different transforms and post-transforms do (in Apophysis 7x).

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    I guess it might be time for me to resurrect the monthly speed paint challenge since we have new people now and its becoming more active
    I find that slow and steady wins the race. People think speedpaints make them more accurate. There was a time it was called Plein Air. That was out of necessity since the landscape changed as time passed. For people learning, fast and rushed paintings produces rushed results. Speed paints are good when you have gotten better at accuracy and want to simply get faster at the process.

Good challenges are like a daily sketch group where someone provides ideas for people to draw.
    Last edited by QT Melon; 01-29-2014 at 12:18 AM.

Weasyl
    Mayhem
    Most importantly its about practice. Speed painting something that you dont normally draw will take you out of your comfort zone. If you never draw a car and I tell you draw a car but then tell you that you only have ten minutes to do it. Your mind has think hard about how to draw it. You have to plan in your head how and what to do next. Its a very good challenge but just one of the mini tools that helps someone improve.

I dont think speed painting can take the place of character studies or studying in general.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Hmm...

I don't see how painting something faster will make me approach different subjects. I approach different subjects because I need to practice on them. 10 Minutes to draw a car makes me think that I will rush a car when I should really sit down and study cars if I want to learn how to draw them. When I study certain subjects it means spending time with them.

In Plein air you would go out, get your easel and paint a car in front of you, you'd paint many of them or draw sketches of them.

A speed paint encourages people to sit in front of a computer and use the first page of Google Images for reference. It is not that I am dismissing Speed Paints, but it seems to be the buzzword of many artists that really don't understand the purpose of these studies are. They give a false impression that art is like Sonic "Gotta Go Fast"

When I do timed paints I have put them in gestures solely as the practice of warm ups. I don't want to win an award for painting fast, I'd prefer it for doing it right.

Mayhem, have you started a sketchbook or really put these ideas to work out of curiosity? I see often times you want to host things or run them, but seeing a more helping hand or showing what you know can help artists a lot.
    Last edited by QT Melon; 01-29-2014 at 11:27 AM.

Been doing a lot of gesture drawing lately--especially females considering I draw men SO MUCH! Haha.

Those background speed paints look great, makes me want to pick that habit up as well.

Weasyl
    Mayhem
    As I said in my first post. I believe practice is the most important thing. There are so many ways and things to practice. As I said also that speed painting is just one of these things. Being that it helps the artist learn time management. I never said it should be used by brand new starting artists or should be used as the only way of practicing.
    I would love to see a daily sketch thread but a few months ago we didn't have the active members for a weekly speed paint paint thread so I didn't think it was necessary.
    Yes I have put speed painting to practice and if you look on the second page of community activities you will see that I was even doing it. I have not made a sketchbook thread on this forum because most the artist posting in the sketchbook thread aren't using it for critique but as a second gallery. When I do find someone wanting help on there I will help them but so far when I am on I haven't seem that. I have seen people on in this section ask for help and if they haven't been pointed in the right direction I help them. But I am not so eager to up my posts just restating what someone already said to a new person.

So back to the topic at hand. Same post as my first post.
    Daily studies =practice and practice = better artist.

As long as you are seeking to improve then you are on the right path as an artist

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    I do not think it is fair to say people do not want critiques in the sketchbook forum. That is a rather specious position to take and undermines the purpose of such activity.

I do believe that daily studies have their place. I was questioning the practice of making rushed studies a competition.

Challenges are good, but people need to learn to develop habits and enjoyment of studies on a daily basis.