Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Jim-Medic-Dude(NSFW), Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by tachi View Post
    Chinese SKS's are $309 at AIM Surplus (as of this post) and its still technically commie. Clean up the wood and its only difference is the bayonet. Should still be a chrome lined barrel. Good base for making a SKS-M.
    Neat! <: I always thought SKS-M would be cool to have. Any thoughts on the Yugo variants? There's one at my local gun shop for $450 at the moment.

Also, just to everyone in general, I'm thinking of trading my Glock 19 towards a Glock 17, then using my tax return money to get a Ruger LCR or maybe a Sig P250 compact as a carry piece. :x Any thoughts on that? Figured I'd make the full-size 9 my BOB side-arm and use the LCR or Sig as my regular carry piece.

Weasyl
    TheGloriousTachikoma
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Neat! <: I always thought SKS-M would be cool to have. Any thoughts on the Yugo variants? There's one at my local gun shop for $450 at the moment.

Also, just to everyone in general, I'm thinking of trading my Glock 19 towards a Glock 17, then using my tax return money to get a Ruger LCR or maybe a Sig P250 compact as a carry piece. :x Any thoughts on that? Figured I'd make the full-size 9 my BOB side-arm and use the LCR or Sig as my regular carry piece.
    The Glock 17's grip is IMHO too big to be anything other than a combat/duty gun open carried, and then why not go with the longer barrel length and get a G34? Also, I imagine you have at least a few 19 mags you'd have to get rid of if you made the swap.

Unless you prefer the look of the Yugo or have to have a blade bayonet, go with the Chinese. After shipping and transfer fee its still cheaper and you get a chrome lined barrel (IIRC). Go on gunbroker and use their find-a-ffl tool if you don't know of one that doesn't charge an outrageous fee. I'd also have no qualms about dremeling and welding a Chinese SKS receiver to make my own 'M'.
    “That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.” -George Orwell

Weasyl
    Lastdirewolf
    I'm not too keen on guns, even as an American. I like BB and Airsoft guns for fun or to shoot random objects, but I have no interest in shooting living things (even defensively). I like using guns in video games, 'cause I can't possibly hurt anyone that way, but all said and done, my dad did get me a Henry repeating rifle for my birthday a few years back:

http://oi57.tinypic.com/28busth.jpg

I guess it's cool, 'cause it's built via historical standards, but it's a child-size, and I'm 6 foot 4 (~2m). I've shot it a few times, but I'm slightly near-sighted, so I can't really see a target or small objects past like 25-50m. If it had a rail for a scope, I'd so get one, even if not historically accurate.
    I sold my soul to the devil
    But I would've burned in hell for free

Weasyl
    Well Cap'n Howdy guns can definitely be used for target shooting, plinking, and skeet shooting if you're not big on self-defense or hunting. O: A Henry's a good plinker in fact! They recently had a limited run of EMS commemorative rifles I was ogliin', out of my budget for now but maybe if I find one later it'd make a nice mantle piece. I always thought lever-actions were pretty neat.

I mean if you never got another gun in your life that Henry's decent for what you like, even if it is a little small.

Also with near-sightedness I find I shoot better sighting with my left eye, which is better than my right eye apparently. One of those things, I guess. You gotta get a feel for that with practice. One thing I hate is how my field-of-view is limited to the rectangles of my spectacles, so peripheral vision in defensive or competitive shooting is not the best for me. And it's always a pain finding ballistics-rated safety glasses that fit over Rx glasses. ;w;

Also,

The Glock 17's grip is IMHO too big to be anything other than a combat/duty gun open carried, and then why not go with the longer barrel length and get a G34? Also, I imagine you have at least a few 19 mags you'd have to get rid of if you made the swap.
    For my big ol' hands the 17 sits just about perfect, actually. With just the stock grip. And the plan is to make my 17 the combat/duty open-carry piece more or less. With whatever else I get being my new concealed piece. The G34 is nice and I'll probably eventually get one for competitive shooting, but for now I just wanna go for the basic standardness of the 17. :x

Weasyl
    Lastdirewolf
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Well Cap'n Howdy guns can definitely be used for target shooting, plinking, and skeet shooting if you're not big on self-defense or hunting. O: A Henry's a good plinker in fact! They recently had a limited run of EMS commemorative rifles I was ogliin', out of my budget for now but maybe if I find one later it'd make a nice mantle piece. I always thought lever-actions were pretty neat.

I mean if you never got another gun in your life that Henry's decent for what you like, even if it is a little small.

Also with near-sightedness I find I shoot better sighting with my left eye, which is better than my right eye apparently. One of those things, I guess. You gotta get a feel for that with practice. One thing I hate is how my field-of-view is limited to the rectangles of my spectacles, so peripheral vision in defensive or competitive shooting is not the best for me. And it's always a pain finding ballistics-rated safety glasses that fit over Rx glasses. ;w;
    Yeah - That's pretty much what it's good for, albeit even though it's a repeater, it's a little hard to cock. If I wasn't so near-sighted, I'd go plinking and target shooting more, but I can barely see the them past the ~50m mark, which isn't quite as fun. I prefer oldschool guns myself, history is one of my favourite subjects!

Both my eyes are just about the same, and I'm ambidextrous so I could go either way! Though it wouldn't help a whole lot xD

Weasyl
    TheGloriousTachikoma
    Quote Originally Posted by captainhowdy View Post
    but I have no interest in shooting living things (even defensively).
    At least the way I see it, there is no such thing as absolute morality. We live in a society with rules. If it gets to the point where you would have to use deadly force against another person to genuinely defend yourself, that person has broken so many rules, shown such little respect for society, that their life becomes less valuable than yours.

Oh Jim, it seems AIM sold out of the SKS's.
    “That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.” -George Orwell

Weasyl
    Lastdirewolf
    At least the way I see it, there is no such thing as absolute morality. We live in a society with rules. If it gets to the point where you would have to use deadly force against another person to genuinely defend yourself, that person has broken so many rules, shown such little respect for society, that their life becomes less valuable than yours.
    I'm with you on morality at least! I don't think there's absolute morality either.

However, I do think non-lethal approaches are better for most situations - Sure, it's a bit riskier, and that approach wouldn't necessarily work for every unexpected situation, but I think it's a better go-to than a gun. I don't look down upon people who genuinely defend themselves with deadly force, but it's just not something I would do myself.
    Last edited by captainhowdy; 12-18-2014 at 05:56 PM.

Weasyl
    Quote Originally Posted by captainhowdy View Post
    However, I do think non-lethal approaches are better for most situations - Sure, it's a bit riskier, and that approach wouldn't necessarily work for every unexpected situation, but I think it's a better go-to than a gun. I don't look down upon people who genuinely defend themselves with deadly force, but it's just not something I would do myself.
    Non-lethal has its merits. Though I myself am willing to end a life to save mine or that of someone in peril, I know not everyone is comfortable with that, and I wont' judge you for it. I'd rather you not carry a gun for self-defense than carry one without the resolve necessary to actually use it should it be a life or death situation.

I mean, if you bring a gun into a fight you've made it a gun fight, and if you don't have a means of escape that means should you not be willing to use it, your opponent may very well do so. I've seen it happen, and it's tragic when it does. There's a lot of people out there that buy guns for defense but never mean to do more than scare people away with it or simply use it as a deterrent. That doesn't work every time, and if your opponent is willing to kill somebody to live and you ain't, there's a solid chance they're going to try and wrestle that gun away from you and empty your skull with it. :x So I totally support your stance/decision there. If you're not willing to use a gun defensively you're doing the right thing by not carrying it defensively.

Anyways, that aside, there's some stout OC spray you can buy, and there's even civilian variants of the M26 tasers cops use. If you're going to buy a non-lethal means of defense go for that stuff. You want something that incapacitates, not hurts/annoys. The Wal-Mart pepper-spray and those hand-held stun-guns will hurt somebody, sure, but it's not going to knock them down or incapicate them. So you're basically banking on them being a wimp and wussing out of a fight because they don't have much pain tolerance.

The tasers are absurdly expensive, so I'd say you're best off getting real OC spray.

http://store.kimberamerica.com/pepperblaster-ii-red Kimber (a gun manufaturer, funnily enough) actually makes a neat OC spray device. It has two spray nozzles and it sprays with enough force to minimize blow-back and hit opponents up to ~15 feet or 4.5 meters.

If you want a real taser expect to pay as much as you would for a mid-range handgun: http://store.taser.com/taser-c2-p116.aspx (that's the cheapest option from the actual Taser brand)

Weasyl
    TheGloriousTachikoma
    Well I just learned that SBRs are legal on the state level in Michigan now, which opens-up quite a few options I had previously not even entertained because of the inability to get them. (Federal registration still applies of course). Price dependent this knocks a Scorption Evo towards the top of the list, but I can't help but want to compactness and pure political-incorrectness of a semi-auto mac-11 with a mini-uzi folding stock. Also, Atlantic Firearms is due to release a 9mm AK with an 11" barrel soon, so there's that to think about as well.

Weasyl
    Well I just learned that SBRs are legal on the state level in Michigan now, which opens-up quite a few options I had previously not even entertained because of the inability to get them. (Federal registration still applies of course). Price dependent this knocks a Scorption Evo towards the top of the list, but I can't help but want to compactness and pure political-incorrectness of a semi-auto mac-11 with a mini-uzi folding stock. Also, Atlantic Firearms is due to release a 9mm AK with an 11" barrel soon, so there's that to think about as well.
    Noice, those new Skorpies are cool as heck! O: If I had the money to fling around I'd sure as heck get one!

I wouldn't mind having a SBR AR of some sort. Heck, I wouldn't mind getting a tax stamp to have a shotgun shaved down eventually either. O: