Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Jim-Medic-Dude(NSFW), Jim
    Just be wary if you don't get that thing stamped via the ATF, regardless of if the short barrel is factory or custom, it's a crime. O: Also you gotta register it with the NFA. Otherwise it's an illegal modification.

Also I was wrong, it's only a $5.00 tax stamp for short barrels. The $200.00 is for silencers and machine guns.

If you ever need to actually defend yourself with it, you might be setting yourself up for some trouble without the paperwork and stamps. That and just getting pulled over for speeding or whatever could get you in trouble if you have it in the car and it's not legally shortened. :x Just stuff to keep in mind.

Weasyl
    TheGloriousTachikoma
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Just be wary if you don't get that thing stamped via the ATF, regardless of if the short barrel is factory or custom, it's a crime. O: Also you gotta register it with the NFA. Otherwise it's an illegal modification.

Also I was wrong, it's only a $5.00 tax stamp for short barrels. The $200.00 is for silencers and machine guns.

If you ever need to actually defend yourself with it, you might be setting yourself up for some trouble without the paperwork and stamps. That and just getting pulled over for speeding or whatever could get you in trouble if you have it in the car and it's not legally shortened. :x Just stuff to keep in mind.
    The $5 tax applies only to the transfer of AOW's or 'Any Other Weapon'. The $200 tax still applies to the manufacture of any NFA-regulated item. AOW covers firearms not meeting the strict definitions of the NFA such as handguns, rifles, shotguns, machine guns, ect. Examples of AOW's would be a handgun with an additional vertical grip, or a smoothbore shotgun. The Serbu Super Shorty is an example of the latter.

In agreement with Jim, don't break the law. It's just not worth it. As to the affordability of guns, things must be pretty different in Virginia than Michigan. Find a gun shop nearby who will transfer a firearm for you, and order a police trade-in Glock 22 from CDNN. [this advice valid as of 8/17/2014] I don't totally agree with the NRA either, but they are one of the biggest assets the pro-gun movement has, if not sometimes embarrassing. The CPL class I took was certified by the NRA and very comprehensive in state/local law, the philosophy of carrying a gun, as well as various practical shooting drills. HIGHLY advised even if you don't plan on going through with a carry permit.
    “That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.” -George Orwell

Weasyl
    Quote Originally Posted by tachi View Post
    The CPL class I took was certified by the NRA and very comprehensive in state/local law, the philosophy of carrying a gun, as well as various practical shooting drills. HIGHLY advised even if you don't plan on going through with a carry permit.
    I will vouch for the classes, at least. I too don't care much for the NRA's talking heads' ideas (other than Colion Noir). The classes have very little to do with the politics of the org, they're just sponsored/certified through them. I've taken a few defensive handgun/concealed carry courses through an NRA certified instructor and he never got preachy or anything, well except for barbeque, he took barbeque very seriously. :x

Weasyl
    Avaelon125
    I've got no guns because I live in a country where they're illegal. One day I'll move to the Czech republic and buy all of the AK's.

But I got my opinions on firearms. My favourite guns are:

1. Ed Brown Special Forces M1911: You haven't heard God's music until you've heard one of these things put a .45 ACP on a steel target at 70 metres.

2. SG-556 SWAT Mod: Swiss-designed firearms get me hot and heavy under this here combat armour that I somehow pulled out of hammerspace. But this baby is probably one of the best, nay greatest, modern firearms ever made on account of it being just...perfect. I can't even put my love for it into words. I'd sell both my kidneys for fifteen minutes with this bad boy.

3. Avtomata Kalashnikov 47: Of all the weapons in the vast soviet arsenal, nothing was more profitable than Avtomat Kalashnikova model of 1947. More commonly known as the AK-47, or Kalashnikov. It's the world's most popular assault rifle. A weapon all fighters love. An elegantly simple 9 pound amalgamation of forged steel and plywood. It doesn't break, jam, or overheat. It'll shoot whether it's covered in mud or filled with sand. It's so easy, even a child can use it; and they do. The Soviets put the gun on a coin. Mozambique put it on their flag. Since the end of the Cold War, the Kalashnikov has become the Russian people's greatest export. After that comes vodka, caviar, and suicidal novelists. One thing is for sure, no one was lining up to buy their cars. - Nicolas Cage as Sergei Orlov, Lord of War

4. Moisin-Nagat: You drop it on the ground and it moves the Earth. It takes one shot to kill fifteen paper targets since the shockwave knocks the entire range to pieces. It was designed by a drunk Sergei Moisin who drew the initial design on a bar napkin. You need to fire two shots, since the first dislocates your shoulder and the second puts it back into place. If you're low on tent stakes, the bayonet doubles as one, and you can use the buttstock as a hammer. The only attachment you get is a bayonet, which is buried under a residential block in downtown Budapest. For one hundred dollars, you can probably get five of these things and use them as backup frying pans or additional seating. You can't hunt with it because it turns deer into an ominous red mist. Non-standard attachments are added in Bubba's garage using duct tape and bailing wire. Shooting it can cause spontaneous orgasms.

Weasyl
    TheGloriousTachikoma
    Quote Originally Posted by Avaelon125 View Post
    I've got no guns because I live in a country where they're illegal. One day I'll move to the Czech republic and buy all of the AK's.

But I got my opinions on firearms. My favourite guns are:

1. Ed Brown Special Forces M1911

2. SG-556 SWAT Mod: Swiss-designed firearms get me hot and heavy under this here combat armour that I somehow pulled out of hammerspace. But this baby is probably one of the best, nay greatest, modern firearms ever made on account of it being just...perfect. I can't even put my love for it into words. I'd sell both my kidneys for fifteen minutes with this bad boy.

3. Avtomata Kalashnikov 47

4. Moisin-Nagat: You drop it on the ground and it moves the Earth. It takes one shot to kill fifteen paper targets since the shockwave knocks the entire range to pieces. It was designed by a drunk Sergei Moisin who drew the initial design on a bar napkin. You need to fire two shots, since the first dislocates your shoulder and the second puts it back into place. If you're low on tent stakes, the bayonet doubles as one, and you can use the buttstock as a hammer. The only attachment you get is a bayonet, which is buried under a residential block in downtown Budapest. For one hundred dollars, you can probably get five of these things and use them as backup frying pans or additional seating. You can't hunt with it because it turns deer into an ominous red mist. Non-standard attachments are added in Bubba's garage using duct tape and bailing wire. Shooting it can cause spontaneous orgasms.
    Aaaaaand our first visitor from /k/!

My only advice is not to try for the SIG-556, look for the 552 instead. The 556 was an export model to the US and not only is the stock wonky there were some reliability issues presented at one point.

Also for anyone taking his blocks of text seriously, the Mosin Nagant is essentially a cheap Russian .308-equivalent bolt rifle as accurate as the cheap surplus ammo put through it. In the American market they're about $130ish for a common model.
    “That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.” -George Orwell

Weasyl
    Avaelon125

Weasyl
    Brace
    I just assume everyone at least lurks /k/

I replaced my NAA .22 grips with the original wood grips, which give more traction anyway. It's also become my only carry, because I'm hoofing it around CU Boulder campus these days and want something comfortable. More and more I feel like larger, service caliber EDCs are for the insecure. My self-defense principle is based mostly on the concept that nobody likes getting shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Brace View Post
    I just assume everyone at least lurks /k/

I replaced my NAA .22 grips with the original wood grips, which give more traction anyway. It's also become my only carry, because I'm hoofing it around CU Boulder campus these days and want something comfortable. More and more I feel like larger, service caliber EDCs are for the insecure. My self-defense principle is based mostly on the concept that nobody likes getting shot.
    Wait wat.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    Brace
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    Wait wat.
    In Colorado, you are allowed to carry on any public college campus, as well as any private campus that allows it. Carry on campus wasn't mentioned as prohibited by law, so it went to the state supreme court, who ruled that not only are you allowed to carry on campus currently but that individual public institutions, as institutions that receive state funding, can't have policies preventing lawful concealed carry. However, they said that the legislature or the public could pass a new law to make it illegal. HB 1226 was intended to do this, but was withdrawn due to controversy after the testimony of a CCW holding rape victim. There was a bill set to be voted on this November that would have done this as well, but it was withdrawn due to fears that it would bring out a swarm of Republican voters in otherwise off-season voting, undermining some of the achievements of the more liberal wing (like legal weed).

Weasyl
    Quote Originally Posted by Brace View Post
    In Colorado, you are allowed to carry on any public college campus, as well as any private campus that allows it. Carry on campus wasn't mentioned as prohibited by law, so it went to the state supreme court, who ruled that not only are you allowed to carry on campus currently but that individual public institutions, as institutions that receive state funding, can't have policies preventing lawful concealed carry. However, they said that the legislature or the public could pass a new law to make it illegal. HB 1226 was intended to do this, but was withdrawn due to controversy after the testimony of a CCW holding rape victim. There was a bill set to be voted on this November that would have done this as well, but it was withdrawn due to fears that it would bring out a swarm of Republican voters in otherwise off-season voting, undermining some of the achievements of the more liberal wing (like legal weed).
    One thing I wish we could get in NC.

We recently passed a bill that allows us to keep handguns locked in cars on campus in parking lots, but we can't straight up carry yet. ;w;