Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Tumblr artists: WHY?

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    This is something that I've never really understood either. Tumblr is a good site for finding people who appreciate art and to find other artists, but I don't understand why someone would use it as their main art hub.
    Tumblr is an everything-and-anything website and while I can see it preferrable over other websites when it comes to userbase or art theft, it doesn't seem like it would be a good place to really find a customer base unless your art really gets reblogged a bunch of times.. and even then, people don't normally hang around Tumblr looking for things to spend their money on like they do on main art sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesse20 View Post
    I don't want to join a site full of SJWs and big nerds, and memes

considering that tumblr is rumored to be the place where the doge meme came from
    The SJWs are bad and that is where the annoying doge meme came from, but sometimes you need to wade through shit to find that... perfect mushroom?
    Does that work? I think it does. Maybe.
    Last edited by Gamedog; 01-26-2014 at 05:17 AM.

Weasyl
    sassySloth
    I imagine furry blogs are a good way for artists to get discovered. I've found a few great artists that way. These blogs will seek out your art and reblog it so everyone following them can see it.

Main art site? No. Commissions? Definitely not. Ego boast when your thing gets reblogged a bunch? Super yes!

Weasyl
    lichdog
    Quote Originally Posted by sassySloth View Post
    I imagine furry blogs are a good way for artists to get discovered. I've found a few great artists that way. These blogs will seek out your art and reblog it so everyone following them can see it.
    This is exactly why I keep a sketch blog on tumbly :3

Insert Witty Comment Here AndiGreyScale's Avatar
    Weasyl
    AndiGreyScale
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratte View Post
    It was always friends/acquaintances posting it for me, and because it was always left untagged I couldn't block/savior the material. I would've felt bad about unfollowing so for the longest time I just put up with it. Eventually I got so tired of that compounded with everything of mine getting ignored that I quit. I might go back to it in the future, I don't really know.
    If you do go back, I advise unfollowing people who refuse to tag their posts. Don't worry about their feelings.

You can actually add a comments functionality to your tumblr using Disqus. Thats what I have on mine, but I don't have enough of a following so nobody leaves me comments.

My only real problem with tumblr (besides the negligence of a comment system) is the lack of control over a feed. If I really like a person's blog, but they post so often it would swamp my feed, I don't have any alternate way of easily keeping track of them except by remembering their username.

Also a good way to separate original posts and reblogs would make the site perfect.

(my name on tumblr is 'pugfarts' btw. I post art and stuff)

Weasyl
    Ratte
    Quote Originally Posted by AndiGreyScale View Post
    If you do go back, I advise unfollowing people who refuse to tag their posts. Don't worry about their feelings.
    I did and then I got called out for it. They didn't know it was me but they made a big bitchpost about it. :||||

I don't use tumblr partly because I'm a writer and not a visual artist, partly because of the ludicrous SJWs, and partly because it's just a really terrible version of other online communities I already belong to. It's like why would I go to 4chan when I'm already a regular on CE, or why would I go to Weasyl when I'm already on FA?

Cause I got banned from FAF that's why.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    Vae
    Quote Originally Posted by animal View Post
    My only real problem with tumblr (besides the negligence of a comment system) is the lack of control over a feed.

Also a good way to separate original posts and reblogs would make the site perfect.
    You can do both of these things with Xkit, I believe.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    N/A
    I adore Tumblr, but not for using it as a main art platform. Although others may disagree; to each their own. I do have a art blog, but I just reblog art tuts, inspirational works and artists' commentary for myself and any who follow me. Then I have my main where the odd time I may post the occasional sketch.

Everyone has their own preferences, there's no need to judge one over the other as to why they like a particular platform more than the one you like. If they want to use Tumblr as their main, then so be it if it works for them.