Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Tumblr artists: WHY?

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    I don't think this looks like a sob story, it looks pretty reasonable. http://fa-exodus-database.tumblr.com...ixed-media-sfw

The only thing that does annoy me about tumblr is inability to block out certain NSFW feeds with better ease.
    Thank you for this link!!

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #102

Weasyl
    Fiz
    I don't mind signal boosts at all, it does help get commission info and stuff out there, but...I'm sour on people asking me to signal boost their stuff, yet when I'm in a tight spot or otherwise posting my commissions offer, they don't lift a finger to reblog it.

I used to get a bunch of them thrown at me and it was just like 'hi fiz we never talk but signal boost this thing 4 me because u have the tumblr followers ok bye' and that was it.

Got agitating after a while. :T

Weasyl
    FatalSyndrome
    I don't get it either, it's not exactly the best site for art unless you post in fandoms and are hyperpopular that way or somethin'.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiz View Post
    I don't mind signal boosts at all, it does help get commission info and stuff out there, but...I'm sour on people asking me to signal boost their stuff, yet when I'm in a tight spot or otherwise posting my commissions offer, they don't lift a finger to reblog it.

I used to get a bunch of them thrown at me and it was just like 'hi fiz we never talk but signal boost this thing 4 me because u have the tumblr followers ok bye' and that was it.

Got agitating after a while. :T
    That's something I don't do to be honest. I mainly base it on quality and presentation than "hey you're my friend let me promote you". I promote people base on "Ok I'd buy this, I think others would". I am not sure if that's elitist, but it seems to nag a friend for views...isn't very friendly?

If I may include my thoughts on the subject, though a little late?

I've also found that the interface can be a little clunky, but it does allow for page customization. So I have a list of links on the side of my page that include easy access to commission information, email, other contact info, a list of tags I use. I also think that for some reason there is a niche of furries on tumblr that like a very specific kind of art. I can't put into words what that kind is or what makes it different, but for some reason, I am endlessly more popular on tumblr than I am on any other art site, probably because I've been there for years and I have a lot of followers. I have a small fanbase that spreads my work around. If I'm lucky, one of the more popular people in my fanbase with reblog something, and then it gets spread to even more people. Pieces that have gotten 400+ notes on tumblr for me have only gotten a couple of faves or comments on furaffinity or weasyl.

Weasyl
    JiJi
    I'm not an artist but tumblr can be cool for artists, You can arrange a gallery if you tag all your work with a unique tag then hyperlink it through your main page, you can share your work with anyone who follows you and they can share their appreciate by showing others, it's a nice feature.
    However those I follow don't just commit to tumblr, it's just another avenue for them, they have FA, Weasyl and Da's etc.

dA|FA|Weasyl|Soundcloud|Tumblr|Steam

Avatar by the beautiful Chipsticks!

The ToS? People don't read that stuff.

Weasyl
    Sonata
    I am gonna jump on the boat of liking tumblr, because I do enjoy being on it. I have been careful in selecting who to follow so their content won't be filled with drama, shitty people, etc. I did a good job.
    as for uploading art...meh. I do it on occasion, but tumblr is not the ideal site to post general art. fanart gets rebloged and recognized a lot though, so it does serve some purpose.

Weasyl
    DivinePrince
    I use tumblr because there's no where else I can post NSFW works with a high view rate.

I like Tumblr because I get to see important issues being discussed and get to load my issues garrison with plenty of soldiers (ie, sources sources sources, and some nifty ways to word topics). Also, there's a lot of cat pictures and I love cats. I really love cats.

That being said, unless you draw kinky and/or NSFW art, you're not gonna get noticed on Tumblr for your art unless you were previously popular on an art site to begin with. But I've heard many artists say they prefer Tumblr because you get a reblog or like more often besides weak or shitty comments. People are less objectifying of artists there. However it is really difficult for commissions to get going unless you get signal boosted by more popular people. But even then, most people on Tumblr are low on funds or people without bank accounts.